The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad H4D 50MP vs. Phase one P45+

felix5616

I am not trying to campare apples to oranges or decide which is better, rather under what conditions or styles of shooting would the hasselblad and phase one P45+ be better suited. I am looking to buy one or the other, using a bank loan and want to choose wisely, based on which would better suit my needs(landscape mostly, few portraits, some macro and conversion to black and white images)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Big price difference here to start. I would assume the P45+ is used and the H4D 50 is new. Technically they are different as well the P45+ is 6.8 micron the 50 6. This one is tough to compare we are in a situation where the P45+ is older tech , ISO 400 is not something to write home about but it can do a 1 hour exposure. Everything else on the P45+ like shoot speed is also slower but this is a awesome back. Now here is the issue and I'm a Phase shooter the 50maybe the better way to go but more money obviously use a newer 6 micron sensor better effective ISO speeds. Lets say ISO 400 is very good most likely faster to shoot and a new body that has some interesting tech but will cost you more. This really is a apple to coconut choice. One is going to be a lot cheaper to get used they other has no used option yet. Personally if it was between system than maybe a P40+ because nothing exactly matches the 50. The real comparison right now maybe the 2 40's from each OEM but in this case if your actually going to get a bank loan than I would go for the latest technology you can to hold its value as long as the bank loan is. So in essence if you need to sell than you can at least be selling the latest technology.

Guy Mancuso

I guess maybe in part we should ask why these two choices. Not that they are bad but the reasoning behind it so it maybe easier to evaluate the need and prices you are looking at. One might be you don't want a 1.3 crop sensor which some folks don't like which the 40's has.

fotografz

I agree. Apples and oranges. The H4D/50 is the latest tech, but the P45+ on a new Phase One camera is no slouch

A few questions:

Do you favor wide angle lenses. I mean like 24 or wider on a 35mm camera? If yes, than the 1.3X cropped frame 40MB options guy mentioned may not be the best choice.

Do you think you may want to use a tech field camera? If yes, then I'd select the Phase One P45+

I'm using a H4D/40 ... and can say the H4 camera is worth every penny. True Focus is terrific for off-center compositions even in the studio, and for shooting environmental portraits.

Is it possible that you could stretch to a P65+

Also, have you explored the possibility of a lease to own program? Saves all the interest payments and at the end you buy it for $1.

-Marc

David K

Workshop Member
If you decide on the H4D/50 Marc's suggestion to explore the leasing option is a good one. Last time I looked there was also a trade-in promotion for that kit. If it's still available you might be able to save yourself some money by picking up a cheap qualifying used back and trading it in at a higher allowance.

felix5616

I do like wide angle, so the P40+ is out. i have been offered a great price in the Hassy H4D 50 with the hassy 28mm lens, a bit more money(not much)than a cambo wide/P45+ and 35mm lens.
thanks for the advice.

Guy Mancuso

I do like wide angle, so the P40+ is out. i have been offered a great price in the Hassy H4D 50 with the hassy 28mm lens, a bit more money(not much)than a cambo wide/P45+ and 35mm lens.
thanks for the advice.
But that is such a different breed of cam. Hard to compare like that, you can do a Cambo with any of the backs Hassy or Phase.

Simple case you can buy a P40+ kit or Hassy HD4 Kit for 22k or less. Than you can add a cambo to either kit with a 23mm or 24mm if need to get extremely wide.

fotografz

thanks for the advice.
Grab it if you are getting such a good deal including that lens! You can always get a tech camera later and use the back on it.

After seeing the results from the new sensors, I'd like to add a 50 to my bag myself. Here we go again ... :ROTFL:

-Marc

felix5616

Can the 50MP hasselblad back form a H4D kit be used on a cambo wide or is it matched/designed only for the H4D body? what is the longest exposure possible on a hasselblad H4D 50MP back?

Guy Mancuso

The one niggle with Hassy backs is you need a external image bank which are 2k and it is something you have to connect to the back.I'm sure this is still the case with the 50 mpx

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/488774-REG/Hasselblad_70360904_100GB_Image_Bank_II.html

digital FEatURES
Sensor size
Sensor dimensions
image size
File format
Shooting mode
Color definition
iSO speed range
Storage options
Color management
Storage capacity
Capture rate
Color display
Histogram feedback
iR filter
acoustic feedback
Software
Platform support
Host connection type
View camera compatibility
Operating temperature
dimensions
Weight
CaMERa FEatURES
Camera type
lenses
Shutter speed range
Flash sync speed
Viewfinder options
Focusing
Flash control
Exposure metering
Power supply
Film compatibility
50 Mpixels (6132×8176 pixels)
36.7×49.1 mm
RaW 3FR capture 65 MB on average. tiFF 8 bit: 150 MB
lossless compressed Hasselblad RaW 3FR
Single shot
16 bit
iSO 50, 100, 200, 400 and 800
CF card type U-dMa (e.g. Sandisk extreme iV) or tethered to Mac or PC
Hasselblad Natural Color Solution
4 gB CF card holds 60 images on average
1.1 seconds per capture. 33 captures per minute
Yes, 3 inch tFt type, 24 bit color, 230 400 pixels
Yes
Mounted on CCd sensor
Yes
Phocus for Mac and Windows
Macintosh: OSX. Windows: XP (32 and 64 bit), Vista (32 and 64 bit), Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit).
FireWire 800 (iEEE 1394b)
Yes, Mechanical shutters controlled via flash sync. Electronic shutters can be controlled from Phocus.
0 - 45 ̊C / 32 - 113 ̊F
Complete camera w. HC80 mm lens: 153 x 131 x 213 mm [W x H x d]
2290 g (Complete camera w. HC80 mm lens, li-ion battery and CF card)
large sensor medium format dSlR
Hasselblad HC/HCd lens line with integral central lens shutter.
32 seconds to 1/800 second
Flash can be used at all shutter speeds.
•HVD 90x: •HV 90x:
•HVM:
90° eye-level viewfinder w. diopter adjustment (-5 to +3.5D). Image magnification 3.1 times. integral fill-flash (g.No. 12 @ iSO100). Hot shoe for SCa3002-system flashes from MetzTM. 90° eye-level viewfinder w. diopter adjustment (-4 to +2.5D). Image magnification 2.7 times. integral fill-flash (g.No. 12 @ iSO100). Hot shoe for SCa3002-system flashes from MetzTM. Waist-level viewfinder. Image magnification 3.2 times.
autofocus metering with passive central cross-type sensor. Ultra focus digital feedback. instant manual focus override. Metering range EV 1 to 19 at iSO 100.
automatic ttl centre weighted system. Uses built-in flash or flashes compatible with SCa3002 (MetzTM). Output can be adjusted from -3 to +3EV. For manual flashes a built-in metering system is available.
Metering options: Spot, Centre Weighted and CentreSpot. Metering range Spot: EV2 to 21, Centre Weighted: EV1 to 21, CentreSpot: EV1 to 21
Rechargeable li-ion battery (7.2 VdC / 1850 mah).
No

Hi Guy,

You don't need the Image Bank if you want to work untethered.

A rechargeable FireWire battery device will do the job as well.

Look at hotwire-digital.com. About $135 from memory.