The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One 645DF lens choices,

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
If you want really luminance look try the 80 1.9 . Jack is sending me his see if i can shoot some stuff with it . It's old ,manual and cheap but kind of a interesting look

Anders_HK

If you want really luminance look try the 80 1.9 . Jack is sending me his see if i can shoot some stuff with it . It's old ,manual and cheap but kind of a interesting look
Guy,

The Mamiya 80/1.9 is tuly lovely... very very shallow DOF also @ 80cm! You should be cautious to try it, you might like it... something magic about its shallow and focus @ near... :D

I aint letting go of mine :thumbup:

Anders, have you tested the 150mm f/2.8 D? I have not, but have seen several images from it which have exhibited nice bokeh, while it's also tack-sharp. It has a bit of a clinical or modern look, but at least it does not seem to present a harsh or jittery bokeh. I'm considering it for its contrast, sharpness as well as it bokeh, though I don't see it as a "buttery" type of look.
Dale,

Considering replacing my 55-110; from normal length and out I also already have 80/1.9 & AF 300/4.5apo.

The AF 150/2.8 D is clear contender but per images posted not same clear bokeh as 200/2.8. Of course I want to kick myself :deadhorse:... I could also sell the 300 to get a 200 and be done, just add a 80/2.8 D for AF and with extra change in pocket and less weight in my bag :deadhorse:, and the dang weight to which makes difficult hand hold the 200... as does 300 of course. :D Albeit the 150/2.8 can be hand held, the new Schneider 110/2.8 would be less weight to do so than my 55-110 :toocool:, but... way many $$$:eek:, thus... right now thinking bokeh...

Any thoughts on 150 vs 200 of those who have used it, or of 80 D? Seeking AF lens.

:D thanks!

Regards
Anders

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
IMO, the best lenses on the Mamiya for bokeh are:

80 f1.9 manual, Hasselblad FE 110 f2, Mamiya 145 Soft Focus (this is a floating front element "De-Focus" design so can be adjusted from slight to heavy soft effects that also vary bokeh), Mamiya 150 f2.8 AF-D, And of course the 200 f2.8 APO you just mentioned.

Re the Phase/Schneider 110 LS lens: Tough to say what the bokeh on this will be. The 80 LS seems a tiny bit clumpier than the 80 AF-D, so if the trend holds, then probably not... But, if by chance the 110 LS borrows design from the Hassy 110 F lens -- which seems somewhat likely -- then there is hope ;)

Anders_HK

IMO, the best lenses on the Mamiya for bokeh are:

80 f1.9 manual, Hasselblad FE 110 f2, Mamiya 145 Soft Focus (this is a floating front element "De-Focus" design so can be adjusted from slight to heavy soft effects that also vary bokeh), Mamiya 150 f2.8 AF-D, And of course the 200 f2.8 APO you just mentioned.

Re the Phase/Schneider 110 LS lens: Tough to say what the bokeh on this will be. The 80 LS seems a tiny bit clumpier than the 80 AF-D, so if the trend holds, then probably not... But, if by chance the 110 LS borrows design from the Hassy 110 F lens -- which seems somewhat likely -- then there is hope ;)
Jack,

Much thanks. What is your impression of the bokeh from AF 150/2.8 D vs. 200 / 2.8 apo? And... bokeh from AF 80/2.8 D vs. 200 / 2.8 apo?

Or if you will, even more simple 150/2.8 D vs. 80/2.8 D?

Much thanks :thumbup:

Regards
Anders

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
IMO, the 200 APO and 150 AF-D are very close. The 80 D is definitely not as smooth as either of those -- not bad mind you, just not as smooth. The 80/1.9 is smoother than the 80 D too, but adds some swirlys wide open... The 80 LS seems to have a bit of the swirlys too.

Anders_HK

IMO, the 200 APO and 150 AF-D are very close. The 80 D is definitely not as smooth as either of those -- not bad mind you, just not as smooth. The 80/1.9 is smoother than the 80 D too, but adds some swirlys wide open... The 80 LS seems to have a bit of the swirlys too.
Thanks!!! :salute:

pesto

What, if any, is the difference(s?) between the current Mamiya "D" lenses and the PhaseOne branded versions?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
What, if any, is the difference(s?) between the current Mamiya "D" lenses and the PhaseOne branded versions?
Warranty/Distribution/Bundling-Options.

Same exact lens.

Remember Phase One purchased a controlling interest in Mamiya last year.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work