The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad on Mamiya 645 AFD

Anders_HK

Having read in a few places that some use the Hassy 110/2 F or FE lens on Mamiya 645 camera makes me want to hear more on the use of Hassy lenses on Mamiya 645 AFD, mine is a 645 AFD III / Leaf Aptus 65 ;

1. Of course this means using stopped down metering and the need to buy an adapter that permit infinity focus. I understand not all do so. Is e.g. the Fotodiox reliable, or is the original Mamiya Hassy to Mamiya the only reliable?

2. Do both the 110/2 F or FE function on a Mamiya 645?

3. How does the remaining of the Hassy lenses compare to Mamiya 645 lenses in sharpness and characters? As example the Hassy 50/4 CF which by some has been stated to be one of the sharpest in the Hassy line up, and the Hassy 60/3.5 which has been stated to not be far behind it. How do these compare to e.g. the Mamiya 45mm AF D or Mamiya 50mm shift ?

Any other recommendations are much appreciated. Perhaps most important, is it after all worth it?

Much thanks! :salute:

Regards
Anders

JimCollum

i have the 110/2 and the 50/2.8 on my 645 AFD II. I'm using the Mamiya adapter (every sample i tried... 3 of them... from the cheap (fotodiox) sources would not focus at infinity.. the Mamiya was the first one that i found that did). Both lenses are very sharp.. but I use them more for the character of the lens than the resolution. I haven't tested.. but I'd say Mamiya glass is just as sharp as any of the Zeiss I've tried. It's when shooting the Zeiss wide open where you see the difference.

I haven't found the stop down metering to be an issue at all.. for the most part, I'm shooting in Manual mode when shooting with these anyways.

For me it's worth it.. the 110/2 is probably the most used lens in my MF kit.

H3dtogo

i both use F and FE lenses on a DF and AFD2. Works perfect. But also consider the mamiya 80 1,9 and 110 2,8 lenses. They are extremely nice for digital. As far as i am concerned and as far as my experiance goes: all mamiya manual focus and autofocus lenses perform very well. I think there is a lot of blabla from pixelpeepers, not photographers who tell fairy tales about lens performance. Every MF lens, even my russian crap lenses do have their merit in photography. It is about taking pictures, not about pixelpeeping. In my workshops i always make a simple statement: if a picture does not look good, attractive, appealing printed on typewriterpaper or even newspaper, it is not worth you took that image and further whatever fancy equipment u used: it was a waste of money.

Anders_HK

@ JimCollum

"I use them more for the character of the lens than the resolution. I haven't tested.. but I'd say Mamiya glass is just as sharp as any of the Zeiss I've tried. It's when shooting the Zeiss wide open where you see the difference."

It is difficult to judge a lens from posted photos on internet, however indeed what attract my eye is the difference not only in sharpness but in character. Or call it rendering or whatever. Some Hassy appear sharper even when viewing photos on internet, e.g. Hassy 60mm vs. Mamiya 50mm shift. However, that could be also because photos posted do not always display the sharpness to the best.

@ H3dtogo

I have the Mamiya 80 / 1.9 and it is a truly very lovely lens. If I have to sell all but one, that would be my keeper! The Mamiya 110mm 2.8 indeed is also within my consideration. Regrettably there is not much available on internet about it. If possible, could you please tell more of your impression and perhaps post some photo captured with it?

I much agree that pixel peeping does not at all tell the whole story. Each lens has a character. While being new to viewing photos captured with Hasselblad lenses, also on internet it seems such character shows up.

@ Guy

I know that review already and thanks for making it. However, how sharp do you actually experience the 50 shift? Per your photos it is difficult to judge. One poster that replied to you there stated that it was better than the 35mm, but the 35mm is not very sharp. My 55-110mm is sharper than the 35mm I originally had when I went with Mamiya a few years back. Any advise on how the 50 shift compares to 45 AF D, and the 45 and 55 AF lenses?

Also, how did you experience using it for stitching? Was focus maintained when shifting the lens, or was it with ease to refocus for each shot?

Many kind thanks to all! :salute:

Regards
Anders

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Interesting the 50mm is sharp but if your pixel peeping maybe the 45D is a touch better. What I like about the 50mm shift is it actually has a nice look to it. Stitching with the P40+ no corner issues but maybe with a wider format it may. Jack can maybe comment more on the P45 and P65 which are bigger sensors.

Anders_HK

Guy,

How well did the 50 shift actually function for shift for 2:1 pano stitch? Was focus maintained to "exact" tolerance required for digital?

Thanks!

Anders

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Focus was fine never budged. It's kind of stiff anyway which I like. Just need to be careful when rotating the lens over for the third shot pano.

Anders_HK

Ok ... ,

Which of the also older Hasselblad lenses will work on Mamiya 645 using an adapter?

And... were older lenses same sharp and wide open?

How about the Distagons as example?

Anders

Digitalcameraman

Having read in a few places that some use the Hassy 110/2 F or FE lens on Mamiya 645 camera makes me want to hear more on the use of Hassy lenses on Mamiya 645 AFD, mine is a 645 AFD III / Leaf Aptus 65 ;

1. Of course this means using stopped down metering and the need to buy an adapter that permit infinity focus. I understand not all do so. Is e.g. the Fotodiox reliable, or is the original Mamiya Hassy to Mamiya the only reliable?

2. Do both the 110/2 F or FE function on a Mamiya 645?

3. How does the remaining of the Hassy lenses compare to Mamiya 645 lenses in sharpness and characters? As example the Hassy 50/4 CF which by some has been stated to be one of the sharpest in the Hassy line up, and the Hassy 60/3.5 which has been stated to not be far behind it. How do these compare to e.g. the Mamiya 45mm AF D or Mamiya 50mm shift ?

Any other recommendations are much appreciated. Perhaps most important, is it after all worth it?

Regards
Anders

Anders:

We have many customers using these adapters for Hasselblad V styles lenses on many of the P1 645 and Mamiya AFD 645 bodies. The nice thing is that you get exposure and focus confirmation. The 50mm f/ 4 and 60mm f/3.5 work well. I have seen many interiors done with these lenses and they are fine, especially if you already have them. But then again if you are shooting people and moving targets the AF lens is a much better solution for that application.

I recently did a test with a client and a P25+ with his 40mm 50mm 60mm 80mm 150mm and 210mm V lenses. They were very useable and not bad at all. He thinks he can live with it because those lenses and that back together are more given than a P65+ with smaller pixels. But if you want AF features you better off investing in newer AF D glass so when you get a bigger and better camera you have the right combination.

The 45mm D is much sharper and better contrast than the older 20 year old 50mm Shift. We have seen a lot of good images shot with that shift and is unique in what it can do, but contrast and sharpness not very close to the 45 D in the versions I have sold or worked with.

So 45mm D would be 1st for me if you do not need the shifts, then 50mm and 60mm, then 50mm tilt.

At our Leaf Sales meeting we learned that the Phase One / Mamiya 35mm f/2.8 lens will be the next new D lens offered. So it is one that needs a replacement. The worst in the line up I feel and I have seen many versions of it, all seem soft and in some cases not very useable in commercial application using wide angle views of resorts and hotels, trees and foliage just seem to get mushy.

On the lens adapters. Do not cut this corner. Cut it some where else. This is your lens hanging off the camera and the last thing you want is the catch to break or not be 100% on the correct plane of focus. The P1/Mamiya adapter works very well.

Good Luck.

Sincerely,

Chris Snipes
Sales Manager, Florida
Capture Integration
http://www.captureintegration.com

Phase One, Leaf, Cambo, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo & More

404.522.7662 Atlanta
305.350.9900 Miami
877.217.9870 National
813.335.2473 Cell

Subscribe to our RSS Feed

Anders_HK

Anders:

We have many customers using these adapters for Hasselblad V styles lenses on many of the P1 645 and Mamiya AFD 645 bodies. The nice thing is that you get exposure and focus confirmation. The 50mm f/ 4 and 60mm f/3.5 work well. I have seen many interiors done with these lenses and they are fine, especially if you already have them. But then again if you are shooting people and moving targets the AF lens is a much better solution for that application.

I recently did a test with a client and a P25+ with his 40mm 50mm 60mm 80mm 150mm and 210mm V lenses. They were very useable and not bad at all. He thinks he can live with it because those lenses and that back together are more given than a P65+ with smaller pixels. But if you want AF features you better off investing in newer AF D glass so when you get a bigger and better camera you have the right combination.

The 45mm D is much sharper and better contrast than the older 20 year old 50mm Shift. We have seen a lot of good images shot with that shift and is unique in what it can do, but contrast and sharpness not very close to the 45 D in the versions I have sold or worked with.

So 45mm D would be 1st for me if you do not need the shifts, then 50mm and 60mm, then 50mm tilt.

At our Leaf Sales meeting we learned that the Phase One / Mamiya 35mm f/2.8 lens will be the next new D lens offered. So it is one that needs a replacement. The worst in the line up I feel and I have seen many versions of it, all seem soft and in some cases not very useable in commercial application using wide angle views of resorts and hotels, trees and foliage just seem to get mushy.

On the lens adapters. Do not cut this corner. Cut it some where else. This is your lens hanging off the camera and the last thing you want is the catch to break or not be 100% on the correct plane of focus. The P1/Mamiya adapter works very well.

Good Luck.

Sincerely,

Chris Snipes
Sales Manager, Florida
Capture Integration

404.522.7662 Atlanta
305.350.9900 Miami
877.217.9870 National
813.335.2473 Cell

Chris,

Very much thanks for your good info. The main problem with the Mamiya D lenses are the escalating prices. Replacement of the 35mm though is a very good word indeed and a well needed replacement. If you guys have influence, please make a word for them to a AF 80mm 1.9 D lens? I am sure that would be a very desirable lens, pending on price of course... Already the MF 80/1.9 is a jem :thumbs:.

About the Hasselblads, I will use it primarily for landscape, thus stopped down meter or manual focus is no problem. It is not the name that attracts, simply the more I look at images shot with Hasselblad, as in currently I look at the Distagons (wide), the more I am drawn to their rendering. Sharpness is only part, other aspects I can put my finger on is corner contrast/sharpness and wide open performance. However, I have yet not used one... nor have I used 50 shift. Actually, just missed a 50 shift on Ebay that sold for only 260 USD, due silly restriction of not shipping to Malaysia where I am at moment... obvious I was willing pay double... (but was ready to make a steal :bugeyes:)

Do all of the Hasselblad V lenses work with an adapter on Mamiya 645? Here is a list of versions, are there some that do not work?

http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/HW/HWLds.aspx

Of wides, their wides 40mm sounds as razor sharp, but... heavy weight...

Regards
Anders

Digitalcameraman

Chris,

Very much thanks for your good info. The main problem with the Mamiya D lenses are the escalating prices. Replacement of the 35mm though is a very good word indeed and a well needed replacement. If you guys have influence, please make a word for them to a AF 80mm 1.9 D lens? I am sure that would be a very desirable lens, pending on price of course... Already the MF 80/1.9 is a jem :thumbs:.

About the Hasselblads, I will use it primarily for landscape, thus stopped down meter or manual focus is no problem. It is not the name that attracts, simply the more I look at images shot with Hasselblad, as in currently I look at the Distagons (wide), the more I am drawn to their rendering. Sharpness is only part, other aspects I can put my finger on is corner contrast/sharpness and wide open performance. However, I have yet not used one... nor have I used 50 shift. Actually, just missed a 50 shift on Ebay that sold for only 260 USD, due silly restriction of not shipping to Malaysia where I am at moment... obvious I was willing pay double... (but was ready to make a steal :bugeyes:)

Do all of the Hasselblad V lenses work with an adapter on Mamiya 645? Here is a list of versions, are there some that do not work?

http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/HW/HWLds.aspx

Of wides, their wides 40mm sounds as razor sharp, but... heavy weight...

Regards
Anders

Anders:

I have not mounted a Hasselblad lens to the P1/Mamiya V lens adapter that did not work with it.

40mm-250mm, all different vintages, chrome, black, CFE, all have worked for me. Even extension tubes seem to respond the same way they do on a Hasselblad V system.

Good Luck.

Sincerely,

Chris Snipes
Sales Manager, Florida
Capture Integration

404.522.7662 Atlanta
305.350.9900 Miami
877.217.9870 National
813.335.2473 Cell