The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pixel dimension of the P25+ vs. the P45+

felix5616

Is there a practical advantage of the larger pixel size on the phase one P25+ vs. the P45+, despite the lower pixel count?
does the P25+ also fare well with long exposures like the P45+?

Digitalcameraman

Is there a practical advantage of the larger pixel size on the phase one P25+ vs. the P45+, despite the lower pixel count?
does the P25+ also fare well with long exposures like the P45+?
Leo:

Yes the physical size of the P25+ and P45+ offer the exact same focal length. I think you will find that the P25+ shoots really amazing images and that even though you do not have the same optical resolution, it makes a very nice file that you can enlarge 200% with no problems.

Same features, same long exposures, same color bit depth.

Let me know if you want some P25+ files and I would be glad to send you some to print. Just did that for another prospect.

Chris Snipes
Sales Manager, Florida
Capture Integration
http://www.captureintegration.com

Phase One, Leaf, Cambo, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo & More

404.522.7662 Atlanta
305.350.9900 Miami
877.217.9870 National
813.335.2473 Cell

Subscribe to our RSS Feed

Dale Allyn

I own a P25+ and think it's a fine back. As Ken mentions, it is kind and gentle to older glass.

You don't specify what you mean by "long exposures" but in my experience the P25+ handles them very well. I shoot 30 seconds to 3 minutes or more fairly often and have no complaints of the files. I have not shot any 20-30 minute exposures, but have seen some and they looked good. Same for the P45+.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The P45+ is by far and away the long exposure back. I have seen and used it up to hour with nice results. I never pushed the P25+ past 30 minutes but honestly I would not go further. I really don't think it was designed to go up to a hour like the P45+. Doug maybe able to answer it better on the P25+ since I have not taken past 30 minutes. But my gut feeling is it won't work like a P45+ in these time zones past 30 minutes. Again I have not really gone down the path past 30 minutes and Doug, Chris maybe a better source of that data. Obviously they cooler the temps the better you are, it's all about heat.

Lenses on the 9 micron sensors work very nice on them older ones or the newer ones as Dale said they are much more friendly to the older lenses and that is do to the 9 micron sensors as they get smaller they get harder on the glass. General rule of thumb I noticed as i went down in micron sizes is it gets harder on the lenses as you drop. That is my observance of this. Not sure it is technically correct but I don't doubt what I see.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The P45+ is by far and away the long exposure back. I have seen and used it up to hour with nice results. I never pushed the P25+ past 30 minutes but honestly I would not go further. I really don't think it was designed to go up to a hour like the P45+. Doug maybe able to answer it better on the P25+ since I have not taken past 30 minutes.
I've also never shot a P25+ past 30 minutes.

Technically all of the P+ backs are listed at 1 hour maximum exposures at 64F (longer when it's colder, shorter when it's hotter). But we've found the P45+ is a full step above the other backs when it comes to long exposures, and is, in fact, the best camera/back we've ever tested for long exposures by a considerable margin.

That said, compared to just about anything else you could use a P25+ is going to rock at long exposures.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work