The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Type C Focusing Screen for 645AF?

gsking

Jack, et al....

Those of you that have spent the $80 to put a microprism into your 645AF...what are your thoughts? Seems to be quite useful for MF lenses.

Thanks,
Greg

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Greg,

I never liked the microprism screens and instead prefer the grid screens. These do not have any direct manual focusing aid, but then I cut my critical focus teeth on a view-camera's plain ground-glass. So speaking only for me, I can manually focus quite easily using the grid screen in my Phase body too, and of course we have the green focus confirmation light to lean on as well...

RGoldman

I mainly use MF and put one in mine but then I rarely find myself focusing dead center and the focus confirm light does work but again, you have to be focusing with it placed on the exact spot you want in focus. You can always recompose after focus confirmation but that can be dangerous when shooting at large apertures!

Ron

gsking

Thanks, guys. Good reasons not to use one, I see. In using the 80 1.9, I found the focus confirm wasn't quite accurate enough...but then again, focus-and-recompose may be the culprit too.

In any case, does it affect exposure? Does the change in light transmissivity have any downsides?

Maybe I should just commit myself to using my RZ when I really want to manual focus. ;)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I never had an exposure problem with the grid screen, but I do know the camera uses CF-0 or 1 for focus screen type, so some of them must affect something...

etrump

Ditto on Jacks experience. The focus and metering were no problem but I ended up switching back to the standard.

gsking

Well, I just picked up a 200mm 2.8, so I'm sure my manual focusing ability will be getting a workout. We'll see how it cuts it.