The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A question on Phase responsiveness and accessibility

Jeffg53

If I sound a little miffed, well spotted. I have just discovered a bug in Phocus and Snow Leopard around color management. This is a bug that I have previously found in an earlier version of Phocus, and which was corrected. I was advised that the procedure was to send an email to Hasselblad support, which I did. The response was along the lines of 'sod off unless you are a dealer, talk to your local Hasselblad man'. While I have enormous respect for the local guy, it doesn't seem to me that I should go to him for a Phocus bug.

With that background, I was wondering whether Phase treats its customer base with the same indifference.

Hi Jeff,

Sorry you have had a bad experience.

For any support based enquiry we always point you towards the dealer as they have the best access to support via email, phone, face to face. We don't want to burden you with having to contact support individually.

Also in a lot of cases your dealer should be equipped to fix your issue and be in the same time zone and speak the same language.

I imagine you got the standard email response, so please don't take it personally. Rest assured though, I am sure they are very glad you pointed out an issue.

David

Jeffg53

David, I was in the process of responding to the email I received when your post appeared. I have copied you on it. The current stance is denial.

As a bit of further background, I took my Sony gear to the knackers today. So I am now a Hasselblad only person. Sometimes I doubt my sanity.

David, I was in the process of responding to the email I received when your post appeared. I have copied you on it. The current stance is denial.

As a bit of further background, I took my Sony gear to the knackers today. So I am now a Hasselblad only person. Sometimes I doubt my sanity.
Jeff,

I would argue against saying the current stance is 'denial'.

Support asked for your Apple System Profile so they can investigate further.

Denial would simply mean they ignored your request or told you there was no issue and would not investigate further.

David

Jeffg53

Jeff,

I would argue against saying the current stance is 'denial'.

Support asked for your Apple System Profile so they can investigate further.

Denial would simply mean they ignored your request or told you there was no issue and would not investigate further.

David
Denial may be too harsh but here is the text:

I can tell you that I have been running Snow Leopard for quite some time now & as of yet I have not seen any color differentiation problems.
I also just updated from 10.6.2 to 10.6.3 in case there was something gone astray there.
We have also had no other reported issues of this nature.

Choose your own adjective. It certainly doesn't sound like 'you may have a problem'. If you go through the thread, you can see the difference, and even better in my note.

Jeffg53

Jeff you missed out this part of the email...

"Howvever not that we are discounting your findings , you may be able to assist us further via way of providing your ASP..."
David, glad for you to include it but that's the fob off. I hope to be proven wrong very soon. This issue has been on the Hasselblad forum for a few days now with not much action. In frustration, I asked how to raise an issue with support.

I hope someone comes along soon and answers the original question. I would really like to hear from some Phase users.

Jeffg53

Jeff, would you mind sharing what the problem actually is?
The problem is that with SL, Phocus doesn't honour the profile of an external monitor. It uses the profile of the MacBook for both monitors. This then leaves you with different colour when you open the file in PS. When you use the external monitor for critical colour, this gives some odd results.

David, glad for you to include it but that's the fob off. I hope to be proven wrong very soon. This issue has been on the Hasselblad forum for a few days now with not much action. In frustration, I asked how to raise an issue with support.

I hope someone comes along soon and answers the original question. I would really like to hear from some Phase users.
Jeff, the Hasselblad forum, while extremely useful is not the proper channel to raise a support issue.

Thats why we always suggest you go straight to your dealer.

In fairness to us, your email was responded to same day, with a request for more information.

David

Jeffg53

David, I admit that I didn't check the Hasselblad web site. I went to the Phocus manual which has zero about how to raise an issue. Having checked the website, I can now see that Damon Rulach is the man. Should I contact him now, or will you do it?

When this problem occurred in an earlier version, Nick picked it up and raised it as an issue. Subsequently, I was under the impression that Hasselbad monitored the forum, and that they would pick up what looked like software bugs. Is this not the case? It would be really good to know what the interaction was between Hasselblad and the forum.

David, I admit that I didn't check the Hasselblad web site. I went to the Phocus manual which has zero about how to raise an issue. Having checked the website, I can now see that Damon Rulach is the man. Should I contact him now, or will you do it?

When this problem occurred in an earlier version, Nick picked it up and raised it as an issue. Subsequently, I was under the impression that Hasselbad monitored the forum, and that they would pick up what looked like software bugs. Is this not the case? It would be really good to know what the interaction was between Hasselblad and the forum.
Jeff,

Part of the sales process should be error handling. Ie. Who to contact when something is amiss. We point you towards the dealer as he is normally in you time zone, speaks the same language and has been trained by us.

We of course do monitor the forum but it is impractical to have someone monitoring it 24/7 when it will still be faster to talk to your dealer.

Please bear in mind this is exactly the same as Phase One operates, even on their official user forum.

However, I have seen Eamon has already looked into your case and given you an answer. All same day service.

Not bad from any kind of company.

David

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
With that background, I was wondering whether Phase treats its customer base with the same indifference.
WRT the this original post question, I would answer as follows:

Whenever I've had any issue, I've always started with my dealer. Fortunately, my dealer is very responsive (admittedly, some are more responsive than other it seems) and gets back to me quickly either with an answer or an "I'm looking into it and will get back to you as soon as I have an answer" type response.

On the one occasion that my dealer did not find an answer I was satisfied with, I then contacted Phase directly. I was pretty quickly in contact with somebody that could make a decision and we got the issue resolved quickly.

So from my perspective, NEVER at any time in the process have I had the feeling I was getting a standardized form-letter type of response or compromised service.

Cheers,

Steve Hendrix

I will say that while I worked for Phase One the most impressive thing to me was the technical support infrastructure. Due to this infrastructure, it allows for a very direct collaboration between dealers, end users, and the manufacturer technical support team.

There's maybe 2 issues here though, technical support versus bugs, or longer term software issues. From a technical support standpoint, take this case from yesterday. I had one of our customers contact me with an issue related to their digital back battery. I opened a support case and initiated a written, direct record of this case with Phase One technical support.

Today Phase One technical support has issued an RMA with instructions to the customer and I have access to all of that communication. Generally I have found over the years that technical support is outstanding on medium format digital products, but this is a level that I never had experience with. I found being able to directly be part of the communication process with Phase One technical support to be a huge benefit.

Regarding software bugs, issues, etc. I do feel it is a good idea to work with a dealer. I think the manufacturer's have difficulty solving bugs in a timely manner (in general). It can be very difficult to quantify a software issue such as the one you're describing Jeff. I feel a dealer is sometimes better equipped to help point out and describe the issue to a manufacturer. Naturally we can also sometimes solve some of the issues ourselves (and sometimes there actually isn't an issue...).

As much as I hate to say this, part of this can also stem from the fact that a good dealer has a deep (and usually long term) relationship with a manufacturer whose products they sell. This existing relationship helps a dealer to specify with credibility exactly what the problem is - especially when a manufacturer can't seem to agree with a client, or understand exactly what a client is referring to. Many issues brought to the attention of technical support can be subtle.

Several years ago when I sold Hasselblad, a customer bought an H3D and needed to perform custom white untethered. This had been requested for years. I contacted some of my contacts at Hasselblad and explained the importance of this, I explained how important this customer was, etc, etc. Yes, I did some selling, which perhaps shouldn't have to be done, but sometimes, to change priorities, that's what it takes. And, within 3 weeks, after years of requests, the change was implemented.

I would say generally, a good dealer that has communicated well with an end user can be more effective at getting an issue resolved with a manufacturer. Having been on the end of many such conversations with end users, I will say that many times the issue doesn't actually exist (user error), many times the issue is not communicated clearly (at first), and many times the issue is just not something that is going to get priority (though it should still be remedied).

Jeff, I'm sure your issue is real. And my experience is just one side of things and also maybe has some truths that shouldn't be…but that is my experience. In terms of the end user getting what they want accomplished, I have found this approach - working through the (good) dealer to be the most effective and efficient.

fotografz

"I was advised that the procedure was to send an email to Hasselblad support."

Who advised that? If it was your dealer then perhaps Hasselblad should have a talk with him. If not him, then who?

I've not had a single issue that I brought to my Hasselblad dealer's attention not dealt with swiftly ... 95% of the time by him, sometimes by a person he contacts if he doesn't have the answer. I have my dealer's work, home and cell phone number and can call him anytime night or day ... which i've done while on the job shooting. I don't want to know all the inner workings of any company I do business with ... just a main contact that knows the inner-workings, and knows who to contact for any given issue that may arise that he can't resolve ... hardware or software.

I've also never had anything like a form letter from Hasselblad regarding an issue I've had. I tell the dealer and he gets the answer.

-Marc

Jeffg53

Jeff,

Part of the sales process should be error handling. Ie. Who to contact when something is amiss. We point you towards the dealer as he is normally in you time zone, speaks the same language and has been trained by us.

We of course do monitor the forum but it is impractical to have someone monitoring it 24/7 when it will still be faster to talk to your dealer.

Please bear in mind this is exactly the same as Phase One operates, even on their official user forum.

However, I have seen Eamon has already looked into your case and given you an answer. All same day service.

Not bad from any kind of company.

David
David,

I am happy to stand corrected. I have received excellent service from Eamon. I went wrong when I asked on the Hasselblad Digital forum how to report a bug, and received an email address. It was all downhill from there. As you are aware, my experience with support from Hasselblad has ranged from stellar to appalling. The good news is that stellar is recent.

I really didn't start this thread to bash Hasselblad. I can go over to LL to do that. I was genuinely interested in how Phase relates to its customer base. Perhaps I should have worded the post differently.

It would also help if the Phocus manual stated the procedure for bug reporting. It seemed like a logical place to look. It would also help if the part of the Hasselblad Digital forum were more obvious, and was stated there.

Cheers,

Jeff

Jeffg53

"I was advised that the procedure was to send an email to Hasselblad support."

Who advised that? If it was your dealer then perhaps Hasselblad should have a talk with him. If not him, then who?

I've not had a single issue that I brought to my Hasselblad dealer's attention not dealt with swiftly ... 95% of the time by him, sometimes by a person he contacts if he doesn't have the answer. I have my dealer's work, home and cell phone number and can call him anytime night or day ... which i've done while on the job shooting. I don't want to know all the inner workings of any company I do business with ... just a main contact that knows the inner-workings, and knows who to contact for any given issue that may arise that he can't resolve ... hardware or software.

I've also never had anything like a form letter from Hasselblad regarding an issue I've had. I tell the dealer and he gets the answer.

-Marc
Marc,

I got it as a response on the Hasselblad Digital forum. I also have all my dealer's numbers, including his wife's cell phone which I dial by mistake occasionally. It just never occurred to me to go back to him for a software bug. It's like ringing your car salesman when you get a flat, but rest assured he will be my contact from now on.

The support that I receive these days is excellent. I have no complaints. Maybe that is why I was so surprised by the response to my email which I believe could be better worded.

Jeffg53

Steve and Jack,

Many thanks. I am now painfully aware that I go to my dealer for everything. My sensitivity around this started with the red cast on the early H3Ds which took many months to resolve even with my dealer involved. My opinion is that software is different, and should be treated differently, but I will follow the procedure now that I am aware of it.

The problem is that with SL, Phocus doesn't honour the profile of an external monitor. It uses the profile of the MacBook for both monitors. This then leaves you with different colour when you open the file in PS. When you use the external monitor for critical colour, this gives some odd results.
Just a follow up from me for others who may have followed this thread.

Turns out the bug is NOT with Phocus but related to PhotoShop CS4 and the Mac OS.

David