The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using Phocus 2.01

Hello!

I visited the Three Stage event and got to use the H4D40 for awhile and loved it! After I shot, Hassy USA gave me a thumb drive with 4 images on it and Phocus.

I really like the tools and layout. My question for you MF-D pros here, is do you or can you use Phocus for more than just Hasselblad produced images? I mainly shoot Nikon RAW (NEF).... well... until I can make the move to the dark side :D

Thanks!

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I visited the Three Stage event and got to use the H4D40 for awhile and loved it! After I shot, Hassy USA gave me a thumb drive with 4 images on it and Phocus.

I really like the tools and layout. My question for you MF-D pros here, is do you or can you use Phocus for more than just Hasselblad produced images? I mainly shoot Nikon RAW (NEF).... well... until I can make the move to the dark side :D
You might be confusing it with Capture One the software made by Hasselblad's competitor Phase One which processes and tethers to a variety of 3rd party cameras and in fact is preferred by many as their primary raw processing software. A true advantage especially since (depending on your needs) you will likely continue to shoot some Nikon in the future since MF is great at some things, but not a swiss army knife.

Hasselblad's focus is limited to files from their own backs.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

arashm

Jason:
There has been talk about phocus being opened up to DSLR's.
So let's see what comes of this in the near future.
am

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Jason:
There has been talk about phocus being opened up to DSLR's.
So let's see what comes of this in the near future.
am
Seems to be rather long term future according to my informations from Hasselblad! They have still to solve other issues or further optimize.

Long term I heard that this is an option.

Needless to say I am a big fan of Phocus, although I am today using C1 Pro as my mainstream SW for post processing RAWs other than from Hasselblad. But if Phocus would support my other RAWs I definitely would prefer Phocus.

fotografz

Another thought on processing Hasselblad MF files:

Jason, also try uploading your four images directly into Adobe LightRoom 3 Beta. Make sure that you have the latest ACR version update loaded in Photoshop CS4 if you do this.

The profile for Hasselblad in LR is pretty darned good. I use this when I do a larger volume of images using two or more different makes of camera. I just drop all the images into LR and sort by time shot. The reason for this is the tools now available in LR, and that all images are then available for work in Photoshop CS4 without leaving LR ... and are saved back into the LR library for that job. It is incredibly fast compared to Phocus or Capture One (which I also have, and use occasionally).

I use Phocus for all critical MFD jobs, or for certain images, and any tethered work. However, as Lightroom continues to improve, and because you never have to close a file of images and then re-open them in Bridge to do PS work or to use third party software like Nik Define2, it is fast becoming the preferred software for my weddings, events and portrait business.

It's good to have choices. :thumbs:

-Marc

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Another thought on processing Hasselblad MF files:

Jason, also try uploading your four images directly into Adobe LightRoom 3 Beta. Make sure that you have the latest ACR version update loaded in Photoshop CS4 if you do this.

The profile for Hasselblad in LR is pretty darned good. I use this when I do a larger volume of images using two or more different makes of camera. I just drop all the images into LR and sort by time shot. The reason for this is the tools now available in LR, and that all images are then available for work in Photoshop CS4 without leaving LR ... and are saved back into the LR library for that job. It is incredibly fast compared to Phocus or Capture One (which I also have, and use occasionally).

I use Phocus for all critical MFD jobs, or for certain images, and any tethered work. However, as Lightroom continues to improve, and because you never have to close a file of images and then re-open them in Bridge to do PS work or to use third party software like Nik Define2, it is fast becoming the preferred software for my weddings, events and portrait business.

It's good to have choices. :thumbs:

-Marc
Marc,

are there lens corrections for the H System lenses already supported in LR? How doe you handle fro example HCD 28 corrections?

fotografz

I don't know if they are yet, I haven't tried it ... but I doubt it.

But you never know what the future may bring us. Hasselblad didn't announce that their file format was now supported by all Adobe programs either ... which I discovered by accident.

So who knows?

For a lot subjects, and a good percentage of the lenses, DAC isn't needed. But for more critical stuff like architecture or product shots then I use Phocus.

What I'm suggesting is that when processing a lot of images like for a wedding, Phocus and C1 are snails compared to Lightroom because you never leave it even to work in layers. Without LR3 processing 500 wedding shots would be drudgery.

Yesterday I shot a family session exclusively with the H4D/40 that yielded about 79 shots and 58 keepers ... Using LR3, I had them all up on my SmugMug Print seliing site fully retouched 2 hours after I got home ... including retouching out cluttered backgrounds on 5 of the shots.

(BTW, the H4D/40 was smokin' fast AF and deadly accurate using True Focus, and this was shooting 3 kids ages 18 months to 6 years. The 4 year old boy had ants in his pants, but the H4 kept up! :thumbs:)

Half my 35mm DSLR system is now in danger of going bye-bye, except for a couple of zooms.

-Marc