The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A few S2 things

David K

Workshop Member
If Lecia had the T/S lens out and it was good, I really think I might...I'd be giving up a bunch of pixels that I rarely need and regaining quite a lot of things I really liked a lot...
This quote (completely unrelated to camera gear) caught my eye... to the extent that I took the time to copy it down and email it to myself :

"maybe the most elusive possession is contentment with what we have."

PeterA

Still - we all have to agree it is the sexiest 40 megapixel camera out there..hmm haven't bought a camera for nearly two years now..maybe it is time to add to my collection.. -:)

tashley

Subscriber Member
This quote (completely unrelated to camera gear) caught my eye... to the extent that I took the time to copy it down and email it to myself :

"maybe the most elusive possession is contentment with what we have."

Whereas I was more taken with the subject of an essay I had to write whilst studying philosophy at university, based on the famous quote from Mill:

"it is better to be a human dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied"

Each to their own ;-)

David K

Workshop Member
Still - we all have to agree it is the sexiest 40 megapixel camera out there..hmm haven't bought a camera for nearly two years now..maybe it is time to add to my collection.. -:)
Peter, glad you took that quote to heart :) The S2 certainly quickens my pulse. I was just rationalizing it yesterday evening with my friend Roger telling him how, despite it's current shortcomings, I'd probably shoot it much more frequently than my current kit (due to weather sealing, etc.).

Tim, I was a philosophy major in college (probably why quotes like that catch my attention). Please keep in mind I emailed it to myself because, next to Peter, Guy and a bunch of other guys on this forum, I need to keep reminding myself how what I've got is plenty good enough. And yet... :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
we just like to punish ourselves with more stuff we probably don't need but it is that instant gratification we get. Maybe I should change the MF title of this forum to that instead.

Or just simply say "This is where the pigs live" :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

markowich

we just like to punish ourselves with more stuff we probably don't need but it is that instant gratification we get. Maybe I should change the MF title of this forum to that instead.

Or just simply say "This is where the pigs live" :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
actually now that the 35mm lens is out i am thinking of rebuying into the S system, even at the danger that some forum friends may think that i am mad. but maybe i wait for the frist pentax 645 tests.
peter

fotografz

Then again, sometimes I wistfully cruise back over the past 10 years or so, and often think ... I wish I had all the money I've spent on this stuff, and just kept up with my Leica Ms ... like how I began.

It'd be sort of like hitting the Lotto ... taking M9 snaps on the private beach of my Aruba Estate. :ROTFL:

-Marc

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
actually now that the 35mm lens is out i am thinking of rebuying into the S system, even at the danger that some forum friends may think that i am mad. but maybe i wait for the frist pentax 645 tests.
peter
Na just bad meds. LOL

Just kidding. But remember the forum does take donations instead.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim, I was a philosophy major in college (probably why quotes like that catch my attention). Please keep in mind I emailed it to myself because, next to Peter, Guy and a bunch of other guys on this forum, I need to keep reminding myself how what I've got is plenty good enough. And yet... :)
Yup, me too, more than enough really but I always believe the line should be drawn a few yards ahead of where I currently am. Call me the Pig-Philosopher, who wants to have his cake and eat it!
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
As a history major, my motto for photography equipment purchasing, with a nod and a wink to Edmund Burke, seems to be:

... Those who buy camera equipment are destined to rebuy it. ;)

Kurt

J

JackM

a few more things.
I have used the S2 with the 35mm for a few weeks now and it is extremely good for my needs. I just have the 35mm. I wanted a DSLR form, a water resistant system, and superb glass that would work into the future.
I waited many months to buy it as I required the 35mm. I will eventually get the 120mm and that's all I will use for awhile. My work is 90% wide in landscape mode, and it replaces a work flow of stitching images from smaller sensors. It is my first digital MF, but shot film MF in the past. So I forunately had no legacy investment issues in another system.
I like buying into a system that is freshly and fully designed around a new sensor size versus retrofit. That's not a knock at other MF cameras, that's as much a knock at an M8 or M9.

The lenses are big, but not a problem. they handle well. If I want really small lenses, I have a M9 system. My Canon system is gone.

I first worked with the S2 in a North American Tour and studied the files from it. It worked.

Unlike the M9, which has a sexy retro beauty to it, the S2 is just a machine. I do not consider it sexy. Gets the job done, easy to use, not in the way. Looking through the finder is wonderfully big and bright. It is a joy to take the shot. The display does a great job. Files are as quality and huge as I need. I'm very glad to know the owner of Leica has a five year horizon on making back his investment, as the lens rollout is slow, and has got to be slowing adoption. If I had needed four lenses ready a year ago I would have been forced to go elsewhere. I could afford to wait; many could not and have committed themselves elsewhere. I understand.

I use LR3 with David Farkas' profile for landscape. I don't want/need C1, but I understand Guy's point of view. David should send an S2 to Thomas Knoll on loan and motivate Thomas to get someone as Adobe to work some options.

Peter, I suggest you avoid trying the S2 with the 35mm as you will be compelled to spend the money again. The 35mm is that nice.

Kurt, I hope you buy it. I know David has probably loaned you a test unit but probably not yet with the 35mm which are in short supply at the moment. If you need one a short test, I think I am an hour away from you.
Jack

narikin

I'm no expert on the currency markets but I would have thought that the recent (and substantial) drop in value of the Euro vs $US should have afforded Leica an opportunity to drop their prices and stimulate sales. I do like those images that xpixels has been posting lately. Not sure I can put it into words but they are special.
could not agree more. US sales must be stalling as it is nearly $4500 cheaper for a US buyer to purchase in the EU and have it shipped over, than buying in the US. Leica need to seriously look at this, and make it competitive.

I'm using the Phase DF with P65+, which is simply incredible IQ, but is unwieldy for walk-about. Therefore this would be a second MF system for me - and I doubt I'm alone in the high end MFdigi area - using Phase for $ work, and would prefer to walk with an S2 on my shoulder. For that... it needs to drop to $20k with the 70mm lens. Over to you Leica?

(Oh, and I want to be able to process on Capture One. Lightroom just doesn't cut it for me)

David K

Workshop Member
narikin;222215...it is nearly $4500 cheaper for a US buyer to purchase in the EU and have it shipped over said:
If I were a US Leica dealer I'd be upset with Leica for not adjusting the price to reflect current currency valuations. While I have a high regard for Leica products I can't say it carries over to their marketing strategy.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
peter
Peter

sounds really mad, but the issue is that I am thinking the same :D

Peter

ptomsu

Workshop Member
if i do, then my decision will certainly NOT be based on the recent review in LL,
which borders the ridiculous.
ihope you enjoy the HTS1.5....
peter
I do indeed, the HTS is an exceptional tool and enhances the possibilities with the H system significantly!

Peter

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Admin preemptive comment:

*Please* let's not let this thread dissolve to the point of making personal attacks on reviewers and/or other forum owners. Expressing disagreement is fine, and even adding your own personal comments such as what Peter said above, is okay, but even that I think is about as far as you need to take it.

Thanks in advance,