The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A few S2 things

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Obviously we all know I can get a S2 shipped overnight from leica or other sources if i need to do that testing which BTW we already have in the past and will in the future if needed and yes the newest firmware has addressed some things as well which is awesome but I do have to agree with Steve and Thomas we are talking latest and greatest and no one on the planet I know of shoots a P45+ for fashion and the p30+ has been the main stay of the rental market in that segment along with Hassy H31 . The new breed of backs will take the rental market over in time as the old ones get filtered out P40+, Leaf and Hassy H40 and hopefully the S2 but if you want to talk rental market you also need to talk investment from the rental companies buying theses systems and what rents more and are they ready to start upgrading to the new breed 40mpx backs and S2. They all have there numbers to go by and will determine what systems and what backs make the most sense and value to them as well. This stuff is real money

The rental market is not the only concern here it is the buyers as well. Outside the MAJOR markets we have to own them. Honestly even here in Phoenix with 4 million people renting a back is not a easy chore and i will not rent one at 600 per day either. Rather buy the system and rent the 35mm systems as needed . But that is me and knowing my area it is better to purchase these systems.

Anyway we have to compare to the latest and greatest systems that are equal to each other and if not it just is bad information and that is not good either. The S2 is right in line with the H40 , newest leaf and Phase P40+ since they all are not only the newest but in this case the fastest there is both in shooting speed and tethering speed and all around the 40 mpx mark. Some will obviously have advantages in certain areas and some will not and the end of the day we as buyers have to figure out what system works best for them. Honestly myself it does not matter what people buy as long as they understand what each system can do for them and what it cannot do than I feel as a forum owner , pro photographer , workshop instructor I feel I did my job of giving out that information on what I know of each system. If i don't know what a system does i ask for help from those reps that are here. I do it all the time as well and did it this morning when I posted the Elinchrom/ LS lens. I asked Doug and Steve for accuracy just to be sure I don't misinform someone which is my biggest pet peeve on forums. I feel as good as the P45+ it is not in the same technology curve as the newer backs. It is the best there is no question about it king of the hill long exposure back but it is not what I would consider a general all around back like the P30+ and P40+ which are different and more in line to what a S2 is

fotografz

I will say one thing in favor of the Lightroom solution ...

Each new version of LR gets better and better ... and as far as speed is concerned, there are far more advantages than are being discussed here.

For example ... PS, Nik plug-ins, and by extension any PS plug-in is immediately available without processing the file outside of the RAW processor library. In this manner, LR is the over-all speed king from start to finish. Not needed by everyone, but has become essential for shooters like me.

-Marc

tjv

For me, the S2 being bundled with Lightroom 3 is a good thing for some of the reasons Marc has mentioned. I really like the workflow and, generally, the conversions are great.

xpixel

Anyone knows when the 35mm and 120mm is really available? It seems there are no lens available except 70 and 180... sorry but this Leica delivery times are a bad joke.

markowich

Anyone knows when the 35mm and 120mm is really available? It seems there are no lens available except 70 and 180... sorry but this Leica delivery times are a bad joke.
according to leica the 120mm lens will ship after fotokina. they did not say how much after though. i have the feeling that the 24mm and the zoom will not ship in the beginning of 2011, rather mid or -even more likely- late 2011.
uffa.....
peter

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
I'm an admitted Leica fan, but I have to agree with the sentiment that the roll-out of the S lenses is painful to watch from the sidelines ... if I owned the S2, I'd be about ready to jump off of a ledge.

Hopefully an updated lens roll-out forecast will be available at Photokina.

Kurt

Guy Mancuso

I'm an admitted Leica fan, but I have to agree with the sentiment that the roll-out of the S lenses is painful to watch from the sidelines ... if I owned the S2, I'd be about ready to jump off of a ledge.

Hopefully an updated lens roll-out forecast will be available at Photokina.

Kurt
Right there with you Kurt it really pains me to see this roll out. I was really hoping they would understand the need to deliver quickly on a new system. I just feel bad for the users. Hopefully Photokinia will have some answers or better yet deliver glass.

New firmware for the S2 was released today. The email I received from Leica only mentioned the firmware was to ensure optimum performance with the 120 macro. I don't know if there is anything else in the update. I will check it out later today.

Last edited:

xpixel

Today i purchased the new LFI magazine (http://lfi-online.de/ceemes//page/show/heft_aktuell_RELAUNCH/__language__=en) and there is an article about the new things from the Leica S2 in the future:

- an adapter for Hasselblad V and Pentax 6x7

- new firmware with smaller DNG files

- clipping function in the menu

- a new S2 with double size internal buffer memory (25 pictures vs. 10 pictures now)

- a 24mm and a 30mm lens

- and far away a zoom lens

Last edited:

David K

Workshop Member
Not so sure about a new S2 with a larger internal buffer. From what Doug posted on the Capture Integration blog:

"I’m glad to say that the new firmware shown to us today is a large step forward. Leica has managed to include lossless DNG compression, which I think is an impressive improvement to be able to incorporate through firmware update of an existing camera system. This means each raw file will be approximately half as large with no loss in quality (think ZIP compression). All current Phase One and Leaf digital backs use lossless compressed raw files and the lack of this option/feature makes it nearly twice as hard for the S2 to keep up during rapid tethered shooting. By adding this option the Leica S2 will

seem to have a larger buffer since more frames can fit into the same sized buffer
transmit the raw file to the computer faster
fit more images on any given CF card"

Guy Mancuso

Yes a very good decision to compress the DNG. Was to hard on buffer to shoot otherwise. This will improve several things. Faster tether faster buffer which should increase continous shooting buffer. More images to card and faster downloads. All good stuff and should help it a great deal.

David K

Workshop Member
Some additional info on current and upcoming improvements to the S2 can be found on David Farkas' blog. Looks like Adobe and Leica have a strong working relationship and are addressing some of the speed and profile issues that have been raised. The new split prism focusing screen is something that would appeal strongly to me and I really like the fact that Leica is going to be developing it's own lens adapters for Hassy and Pentax 67 lenses. Aftermarket third party adapters have been a hit or miss proposition in my experience.

http://dfarkas.blogspot.com/

I agree and I am glad to see Leica is making an effort to broaden the appeal of the S2. It really is a nice camera to use and sadly its use is currently limited to a small lens selection. Leica adapters to other lens mounts will help solve the limited lens selection problem much faster than Leice can design and produce new S lens. Also, manual focus on the S2 is a pleasure with the big bright viewfinder.

Guy Mancuso

How long will this lens adapters take to put in place any word on that. I agree nice to have some lens options but the S lenses should be in place now anyway. I feel for the S2 owners at this point waiting. I know I could not wait it out but give credit to those that have.