The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A few S2 things

Guy, the small S lens selection (4 lenses) is already more than I can afford so it is not a problem for me. However, adapters could offer more variety in focal lengths and price points until I can afford - and Leica produces - the S lens line-up I want.

I know I am not the typical market Leica is targeting for the S2 so my opinion is just that - mine.

paulmoore

How long will this lens adapters take to put in place any word on that. I agree nice to have some lens options but the S lenses should be in place now anyway. I feel for the S2 owners at this point waiting. I know I could not wait it out but give credit to those that have.
what is so special about the pentax and hassy lenses?..guess they are feeling some pressure, finally.. make an adapter of the rollei/schneider mount or for those misguided souls, the mamiya mount.:p.. and while I am on it.. if they can machine a titanium m9 they can hobble together some sort of extender/adapt for the r mount..

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well it is not really a matter of affordability but availability but do understand the need issue and not needing everything. The option for V and Pentax is actually awesome. It can get you over the hump waiting but more than that you have a option in backup which for the S system it is very hard to do because lack of legacy. This helps a great deal as you have something to turn too. Mark you may want to look at the 6x7 glass as that was really nice in it's day.

Guy Mancuso

what is so special about the pentax and hassy lenses?..guess they are feeling some pressure, finally.. make an adapter of the rollei/schneider mount or for those misguided souls, the mamiya mount.:p.. and while I am on it.. if they can machine a titanium m9 they can hobble together some sort of extender/adapt for the r mount..
Well it could very well be a proprietary issue here with licensing on different brands. Or it could be a simple these are the only ones compatible to work with the S mount and that maybe more the issue. Not sure here

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
To adapt a lens to another system in a practical** way you must:
- use a lens which is built for a larger format than the body you are adapting it to*
- use a lens with manual control (physical dials) of aperture

Hassy V and Pentax lenses have manual aperture stop down and were built for 6x6 / 6x7 bodies.

*technically all that matters is flange distance, but if you know that then you don't need the above simple explanation anyway
**practical in this case meaning you want to be able to focus at infinity and you want to be able to shoot at apertures other than wide-open - if not you can ignore these rules

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

ceh

Dear friends,
do you know in which Leica shop in Europe are the Summarit-S 2,5/35 and Summarit-S 2,5/120 lenses respectively available?

woodyspedden

Well it could very well be a proprietary issue here with licensing on different brands. Or it could be a simple these are the only ones compatible to work with the S mount and that maybe more the issue. Not sure here
Guy

A third party adapter for Hassy V lenses is already on the market. It works very well. I have been shooting some images with my Hassy 110 2.0, a fabulous lens as most folks already know. It makes waiting for the 120 from Leica very bearable. No AF though (of course). I would love to see a hassy V 40 CFE IF on this adapter with the S2. Again it would make the wait for the Leica 35 more bearable.

Woody

Guy Mancuso

I was not impressed with the 40mm CFE i bought. Maybe a bad copy not sure but soft corners. The 110 would be worth the adapter trick.

These lens prices are killer though , really keeping me far away from this system 5 or 6 k each and i need 5 is not working with my bank account. Oh well see what the S3 brings to the table. Frankly right now rather have a M9 and my Phase kit. That would be a nice combo