The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya ZD for IR?

V

Vivek

Hi Folks, Has anyone tried the ZD (without the IR cut filter) for IR?

I would appreciate hearing how it performs.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Great question Vivek . Jack and I both have the ZD and we have not tried it yet but the possibilities are interesting.

V

Vivek

Guy, One fantastic possibility with this cam is the removable filter/slot.

You can buy the original filter holder separately and plant an IR filter (or have an array of IR filters of various strengths in separate holders).

You can also focus after having the filter in place just as usual. There may be focus shifts though.

What is the best price for a ZD in the US now?

It still is >10K Euros in the E.U.:eek:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well 10k gets you the Mamiya AFD -II , 80 mm lens and the ZD back. Now i got a demo unit that was priced at 9 k but got a even better deal. Now the new body is coming out the AFD -III from Mamiya and Phase one so I bet you will see some AFD-II bodies for sale when that happens , mine most likely one of them. So you can still get in the door at a good price. I bought mine at Camera West but David at Dale is also a Mamiya dealer. Also Lance is here on the forum from the Capture Intergration group and he sells Mamiya and Phase backs also plus a variety of gear

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I just tested this out this morning... And it works :D

Bad news first: AE isn't really close, so you need to confirm exposure with the histogram.

Good news: Really interesting -- removing the IR cut filter does alter the point of focus. But it moves it CLOSER, so there is no need to adjust focus for IR use(!) It actually FF's a teeny bit with the IR cut removed, but probably not enough to even worry about :)

More later,

irakly

there WILL BE the focus shift. one of my students dropped a kodak back and broke the IR filter. as expected, all images without the filter went magenta and were out of focus. so, with lenses than do not have IR mark it will be trial-and-error business.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
there WILL BE the focus shift.
Read my post directly above... Yes there is focus shift, but removing the filter from the ZD basically moves the PoF enough -- and in the right direction -- to compensate for the IR focus shift. So IOW, the two cancel each other out. Pretty cool for ZD users :)

V

Vivek

Jack, Thanks for checking. Is this a ZD (whole) camera or the back attached to a Mamiya AF cam as Guy has?

Irakly: Is that DCS back with its broken IR cut filter available for sale?

irakly

Jack, Thanks for checking. Is this a ZD (whole) camera or the back attached to a Mamiya AF cam as Guy has?

Irakly: Is that DCS back with its broken IR cut filter available for sale?
no, we put a new one. actually quite a story... it happened in moscow, where kodak did not have an official dealer for digital backs. the girl was desperate as she had to shoot someone for russian vogue in a few days. i chacked with kodak, and it was $1560 backordered item. i found an antialiasing filter for the original proback for $300 on ebay and fedexed it to moscow. she had it reset by a local camera wizard into a frame of the original filter for another $200. later i learned that a 72mm UV/IR-cut filter on a lens would work just fine :)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The ZD back on an AFDII camera. I do not know about the fixed-back ZD camera...

V

Vivek

I was under the impression that only the Mamiya ZD camera had removable IR/AA filters. I was wrong. The back also allows for this change. That is good.:thumbup:

http://www.mamiya.com/mamiya-zd-back-accessories-internal-filters.html

It is, in principle, possible to have an IR pass filter (say Hoya R72) cut and mounted instead of the IR cut filter. This would allow looking the viewfinder while framing/focusing.

Focus shift and AE are problems with any IR shooting. While the shift can be taken care of fairly easily after calibration of a lens for a given filter, exposure is more complicated as it would depend on the light and specifically its IR content.

..and Irakly, thanks for your response.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Sure it is -- you just need the frame and have an 072 cut to fit. Current IR-cut is held in the frame with screws.

I wonder if Singh Ray wouldn't create such a filter for you. Or me. I am thinking of picking up a ZD setup this week, primarily because I want to move up to a larger format for infrared wildlife photography. Something that gives me this kind of look from my home page:

http://www.andybiggs.com

I would love to keep this thread going, if possible.

David K

Workshop Member
Andy,
Welcome to the forum, I've admired your work for quite a while and going on one of your photographic safaris is a dream of mine. Maybe someday..

Andy,
Welcome to the forum, I've admired your work for quite a while and going on one of your photographic safaris is a dream of mine. Maybe someday..
Thanks, David. I am truly flattered! I am trying to figure out how to move up from a Digital Rebel 400D that I have converted to infrared, and up to medium format.

I will call Singh Ray today to see if they are up for retrofitting the filter holder.

A

AlaBill

Andy...

Great IR photographs on your site. The line of elephants on your home page is fantastic!

Let us know what you find out on the filter. After seeing your work, now I'm interested in the Mamiya as well.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Andy, and welcome to the forums! As for the filter, try shooting the ZD with the IR cut removed first -- the file is so IR heavy at that point you may find you don't need any IR filter on lens or camera anyway ;)

Cheers,

Andy...

Great IR photographs on your site. The line of elephants on your home page is fantastic!

Let us know what you find out on the filter. After seeing your work, now I'm interested in the Mamiya as well.
You can call me evil Andy. Nothing like getting people to spend more money! Thanks for the very flattering comments. I am not worthy.