The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

In MOAB for a few days

K

KWR Phase One

Hi . .
I am heading off to MOAB for a few days to do some advanced work on a PODAS workshop and meet up with some potential customers. If you are out that way get in contact with me and we can meet up. I’ll also be doing some image quality testing of the Phase backs vs DSLR specifically in dynamic range. I’ll be using a P40+ and P65+ and a DSLR.

In addition ALPA has partnered with us to provide APLA camera systems at our PODAS workshops. I’ll be testing an ALPA with various lenses while I am there too.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Have a great time Kevin! Be sure to get out to Mesa Arch for sunrise at least one of the days, preferably one with some cloud cover -- and get there early enough to stake out your spot. Also, resist the temptation to get in tight with a wide and shoot from a little further back with a slightly longer lens -- I like to frame Washer Woman in the background...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
At least by 5 am in position for sure. Hope you don't like to sleep in. LOL

OH than go to Moab dinner for breakfast. Trust me

http://moabdiner.com/

Have this
#5 The Moab Diner's Sweetwater Skillet . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $5.99
Definitely our house specialty! A blend of fried potatoes, bacon, diced green onion, bell peppers, and melted cheese all of which is spiced just right and topped with two eggs any style. Served with toast and jelly. (Just say smother it!, and we'll top your skillet with the Diner's famous Green Chile for just 1.25 . . . . . . . $7.26

and get a side of buckwheat pancakes. Bring a doctor with you. Your going to need him. LOL

At least by 5 am in position for sure. Hope you don't like to sleep in. LOL

OH than go to Moab dinner for breakfast. Trust me

http://moabdiner.com/

Have this
#5 The Moab Diner's Sweetwater Skillet . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $5.99
Definitely our house specialty! A blend of fried potatoes, bacon, diced green onion, bell peppers, and melted cheese all of which is spiced just right and topped with two eggs any style. Served with toast and jelly. (Just say smother it!, and we'll top your skillet with the Diner's famous Green Chile for just 1.25 . . . . . . . $7.26

and get a side of buckwheat pancakes. Bring a doctor with you. Your going to need him. LOL
Do they include a free heart attack with that? :)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
That green chili is pretty fine!.
That Mesa Arch spot is pretty good, but when I was there it was impossible to get further back due to the cluster of photographers there.

-bob

Tim Ernst

Other photographers know about Mesa Arch? When I was there several times in 1995 I always had the place to myself. Do the crowds die down during the week, or still lots of folks there?

Guy Mancuso

No it is crazy now. Very hard to get the shot . I want to go back and do it again with my MF kit and replace this image. M8 15mm Voightlander

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
We were lucky we had so much snow that year -- be a long time before we hit that again...

Oh, and no, Guy and Bob did NOT enhance the orange in the rocks! That is what it looks like at sunrise with a clear sun hitting it, really. :)

Guy Mancuso

I only barely cheated. I threw the snow in my shot during the exposure.:D

Comes from 35 years as a commercial shooter, you add what you need. LOL

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Guys, what was the name of the restaurant that had the "All you can eat" King Crab special? (They heard Mike was coming back the next year and shut down for that week!) The Oar or Paddle Something -- maybe Tender?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
That's it -- Thanks John! FWIW I thought our meal there as about as good as it gets in Moab for dinner, and the service was very good.

Don't let Kevin fool you. He is out here on one of my workshops! ha ha ha ha. But seriously, I am shooting with Kev's P40+ right now, and it is a great setup for me and my needs. I have shot with PO backs many many times now but I haven't pulled the rip cord yet, so to speak.

I will make sure that we fill Kevin up with a ton of booze and he will have Phase One pick up the bar bill for all of my 16 workshop participants. :)

Andy

K

KWR Phase One

Well, I am back from the trip and it was a great few days. I did all my shots with an ALPA system and a P65+ back. I’ll try to post them in the next few days when things slow down a bit. There was also another Phase One shooter there with an ALPA. Quite the system. The weather was most interesting on this trip and the images reflect dramatic skies, clouds and such. One day winds were over 60mph. Great place for a workshop. Phase One is thinking of doing a PODAS program there next year. Any votes for that?

Guy Mancuso

Jack and I have done 2 or 3 workshops in Moab and they have been a lot of fun with plenty of shooting to do. Great place for a workshop