The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rollei 6008 mirror lock up

Hi Guys,

I have a Rollei 6008i + MCU. Up to now it's only been used with film. I have been contemplating the digital back arena, and today came across a thought that I haven't been able to answer due to my misplacing the user manuals!

I was thinking whether or not a multi-shot back is worth it, then realised that I don't know how to lock up the mirror for the duration of a few (4) shots. Does anyone here know:
1) If it's possible?
2) If it isn't, will the mirror movement upset the camera enough to ruin the shot?

Thanks,

Graham.

PSon

Hi Guys,

I have a Rollei 6008i + MCU. Up to now it's only been used with film. I have been contemplating the digital back arena, and today came across a thought that I haven't been able to answer due to my misplacing the user manuals!

I was thinking whether or not a multi-shot back is worth it, then realised that I don't know how to lock up the mirror for the duration of a few (4) shots. Does anyone here know:
1) If it's possible?
2) If it isn't, will the mirror movement upset the camera enough to ruin the shot?

Thanks,

Graham.

Graham,
The mirror lock up is on the left side of the camera. It is a button just push it and it lock up the mirror. However, when shooting in multi-shot mode, I let the delayed time to be 5-7 second delay. During this time I can re-lock up the mirror as it will be released back after each exposure.
-Son

Graham,
The mirror lock up is on the left side of the camera. It is a button just push it and it lock up the mirror. However, when shooting in multi-shot mode, I let the delayed time to be 5-7 second delay. During this time I can re-lock up the mirror as it will be released back after each exposure.
-Son
I assume you don't have any problems with camera movement due to the mirror returning to the downwards position, then needing reseting?

PSon

I assume you don't have any problems with camera movement due to the mirror returning to the downwards position, then needing reseting?
I posted images here before with the 16 shots mode without a problem. I also use the multi-shot back with other system particularly Contax 645, Hasselblad V system.

EH21

I *think* this can be done without the mirror coming down using the optional camera controller or possibly with a combinations of settings using the multiple exposure setting.

BJNY

IIRC on the Hy6/AFi camera body:
mirror-up button brings mirror up
then stays up until the button is pressed again
to bring it down
FYI

I *think* this can be done without the mirror coming down using the optional camera controller or possibly with a combinations of settings using the multiple exposure setting.
I did expect it to, but as I can't find an appropriate combination, and Son suggests it always returns down, maybe it can't. :(

EH21

Here's how to do it - from page 55 of the 6008AF and Integral 2 manual. Honestly I don't know if it will work for the integral 1, but you might be able to have the Rollei service guys update it to an integral 2 to do so if it doesn't.

A multiple-exposure alternative is the film advance
custom function (“SF trAn“), see
“Custom functions“. In this case, the film
advance is disengaged electronically, and
the reflex mirror remains locked up after
the first exposure. This means, however,
that viewfinder observation and renewed
exposure metering as well as focusing are
impossible. On the other hand, this form
of multiple exposures allows higher shooting
rates, and it is adjustable via MasterWare.
To terminate multiple exposure,
either switch 31 off before the last exposure
or press the mirror-lockup button 73
after the last exposure.
Notes:
In the latter case, serial photography is
impossible. With the master switch set to
“C“, the camera responds as if “S“ had
been set.
For serial photography, MasterWare is
required. This allows up to ten successive
photographs with a minimal delay of 10
ms between individual exposures.
Important:
Magazines must not be changed during a
series of multiple exposures.

Here's how to do it - from page 55 of the 6008AF and Integral 2 manual. Honestly I don't know if it will work for the integral 1, but you might be able to have the Rollei service guys update it to an integral 2 to do so if it doesn't.

A multiple-exposure alternative is the film advance
custom function (“SF trAn“), see
“Custom functions“. In this case, the film
advance is disengaged electronically, and
the reflex mirror remains locked up after
the first exposure. This means, however,
that viewfinder observation and renewed
exposure metering as well as focusing are
impossible. On the other hand, this form
of multiple exposures allows higher shooting
rates, and it is adjustable via MasterWare.
To terminate multiple exposure,
either switch 31 off before the last exposure
or press the mirror-lockup button 73
after the last exposure.
Notes:
In the latter case, serial photography is
impossible. With the master switch set to
“C“, the camera responds as if “S“ had
been set.
For serial photography, MasterWare is
required. This allows up to ten successive
photographs with a minimal delay of 10
ms between individual exposures.
Important:
Magazines must not be changed during a
series of multiple exposures.
I only just managed to get round to testing this. Your jottings put me on the right lines, but I don't know how this integrates with the back:

Turning the transport off with the MCU will lock up the mirror after the first shot, and it will remain there until you turn transport back on.

Using the multiple exposure facility leaves the mirror up until it has completed 'n' exposures (just what I wanted!), but is this tied in automatically with the back's 4-shot mode? Or would I still be taking four manual exposures? (Not that it's difficult, but it would be nice to press the shutter release once and not touch it again until it's done all four shots).