The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sinar Hy6 Review

fotografz

Both threads are informative. The Hy6 cameras are new and there will be some conflicting reports for awhile.

I'll be interested in how the "open system" question is answered. I had assumed the Sinar version of the Hy6 was an open platform ... what's not clear is whether the Leaf one is ... there isn't even a provision to use an Aptus 75s on the Leaf AFi ... at least not yet.

Pat Bono, Leaf USA service manager told me that " the AFi is a totally different animal" and my 75s will not work on their version of the Hy6. What remains to be seen is Leaf's upgrade path for current owners of their backs.

Compared to the Sinar as reported, the Leaf AFi seems a more elegant adaptation of the Hy6 platform. The Exif data is there and travels with the file. The touch screen is huge and provides excellent control and viewing. It also takes one battery. The files open directly in Lightroom or Adobe Camera RAW as well as the new leaf capture RAW for tethered shooting. However, the prices I was quoted were higher than those quoted in the Sinar article.

Graham Mitchell

I'll be interested in how the "open system" question is answered. I had assumed the Sinar version of the Hy6 was an open platform ... what's not clear is whether the Leaf one is ...
The cameras are basically identical and interchangeable.

Compared to the Sinar as reported, the Leaf AFi seems a more elegant adaptation of the Hy6 platform. The Exif data is there and travels with the file.
And so it will with the Sinar back, but you need to be using Exposure, not Capture Shop, and have the right firmware in the digital back too.

fotografz

The cameras are basically identical and interchangeable.

And so it will with the Sinar back, but you need to be using Exposure, not Capture Shop, and have the right firmware in the digital back too.
How do you know this? I understand that the camera and lenses are interchangeable, but what about the digital backs? Can a Sinar back be used on a Leaf AFi?

Interesting. Sinar sent a camera and back that didn't have the right software or firmware to be reviewed?

Graham Mitchell

How do you know this? I understand that the camera and lenses are interchangeable, but what about the digital backs? Can a Sinar back be used on a Leaf AFi?
There is a Sinar rep on the LL forum who posts a lot of useful information. Unfortunately most people there don't bother to read his posts and keep asking the same old questions which he has answered months ago.

Interesting. Sinar sent a camera and back that didn't have the right software or firmware to be reviewed?
The camera works so you can still judge the handling and image quality. There should have been better communication between Michael and Sinar about this before he wrote the article. It seems to have been a rushed affair (as Michael admitted in the article).

PeterA

Thanks Graham - that clears up an interesting issue for me.

The Distributor in Australia for Sinar and Leaf are one and the same. I had them in my offices last week and I asked them why the Sinar didn't sell as well as Leaf and their answer was - that Leaf had an 'easier' workflow - its files open to Adobe this and that for example. As far as actual file quality goes they suggested that at worst the Sinar was as good as Leaf ( I use the Aptus 75).

Marc - the new software that Graham alludes to was hush hush secret as explained to me - something which irked me no end - a ridiculous state of affairs in my opinion.

I will hold off on my final decision as I am yet to do all my research and testing - but it looks like I will be switching to Sinar and Hassleblad V for medium format. Therefore i may post a 35/80/150 in as new condition H series lenses on the FS forum - along with a 1dsMk11 ( as new) and a bunch of L lenses.

Graham Mitchell

I asked them why the Sinar didn't sell as well as Leaf and their answer was - that Leaf had an 'easier' workflow - its files open to Adobe this and that for example.
Something you will be interested to know is that the new Sinar software uses DNG as the RAW standard, to give maximum workflow options.

fotografz

There is a Sinar rep on the LL forum who posts a lot of useful information. Unfortunately most people there don't bother to read his posts and keep asking the same old questions which he has answered months ago.

The camera works so you can still judge the handling and image quality. There should have been better communication between Michael and Sinar about this before he wrote the article. It seems to have been a rushed affair (as Michael admitted in the article).
What's the "LL" forum? They may be the same old questions there, but apparently it's fairly new questions here. I personally have limited time to cruise a lot of forums in speculation of securing new technologies. So, like a few others on this MF forum, I appreciate any info that clarifies the situation, and informs any decision making process.

The new software for Sinar sounds intriguing. First quarter 2008 will be an interesting time for MF digital as both the Sinar AND new Hasselblad software will come on line for use.

HB's new "Phocus" software is also a ground up revamp of Flexcolor. Their approach is to maintain a proprietary 3F file format to maximize the DAC corrections and color interpretations preferred by HD users compared to Adobe solutions. RAW workflow is allegedly maximized by designing a very "Lightroom" like process ... which is no surprise since Lightroom development people were employed in the "Phocus" creation.

( BTW, I know this because I participate in a by invitation only forum of Hasselblad Digital users made up of mostly professional photographers) I am going to invite a few key participants of that forum to join us here since they are far more knowledgeable than I concerning specific technical details. This should help expand this MF Digital forum as a resource.

fotografz

Thanks Graham - that clears up an interesting issue for me.

The Distributor in Australia for Sinar and Leaf are one and the same. I had them in my offices last week and I asked them why the Sinar didn't sell as well as Leaf and their answer was - that Leaf had an 'easier' workflow - its files open to Adobe this and that for example. As far as actual file quality goes they suggested that at worst the Sinar was as good as Leaf ( I use the Aptus 75).

Marc - the new software that Graham alludes to was hush hush secret as explained to me - something which irked me no end - a ridiculous state of affairs in my opinion.

I will hold off on my final decision as I am yet to do all my research and testing - but it looks like I will be switching to Sinar and Hassleblad V for medium format. Therefore i may post a 35/80/150 in as new condition H series lenses on the FS forum - along with a 1dsMk11 ( as new) and a bunch of L lenses.
Peter, I am in a similar boat. While there is no debate for me concerning my Hasselbald HD3 system as the lead dog in my diversified arsenal of MF digital solutions, I have maintained a parallel involvement with Mamiya RZ and Hasselblad V studio and field systems that were my previous lead dogs when it was primarily a film world ( okay, so I'm a pack rat : -)

The net result is a secondary attempt to keep these systems, and the considerable investment they represented, alive and productive.

The Mamiya RZ and 645 AFD-II sport the Leaf Aptus 75s, and is the system I may well finally let go of due to under utilization ... to the delight of someone interested in a lightly used system sporting Leaf's latest, greatest digital back. A bargain in the making. Interested parties watch the F/S section of this forum or e-mail me.

That leaves the V system which I had held out hope that Hassleblad would further develop the CFV back ... an apparently futile hope.

So, I will watch with great interest your exploration of the Sinar back on the V system ... a serious consideration on my part. I have three alternative approaches: Convert my Leaf Aptus 75s to the universal V mount for about $2,500 ... or explore either a Phase One or Sinar back for the V system and sell the Aptus.

Keep us in the loop as you think your move through Peter.

robsteve

Subscriber
HB's new "Phocus" software is also a ground up revamp of Flexcolor..
I wonder if they are going to continue FlexColor development, or of more importance to some of the Leica shooters, will the DMR support be in the Phocus software?

Robert

EH21

I wonder if they are going to continue FlexColor development, or of more importance to some of the Leica shooters, will the DMR support be in the Phocus software?

Robert
I hope so! Flexcolor is still giving me the best RAW conversions for my DMR.

fotografz

So, keep Flexcolor. I have about 10 versions saved.

A lot of the software advancements being made are specifically for the H3D cameras and how the DAC corrections work for those cameras and lenses. Not applicable for the M8 anyway.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
What's the "LL" forum? They may be the same old questions there, but apparently it's fairly new questions here. I personally have limited time to cruise a lot of forums in speculation of securing new technologies. So, like a few others on this MF forum, I appreciate any info that clarifies the situation, and informs any decision making process.

The new software for Sinar sounds intriguing. First quarter 2008 will be an interesting time for MF digital as both the Sinar AND new Hasselblad software will come on line for use.

HB's new "Phocus" software is also a ground up revamp of Flexcolor. Their approach is to maintain a proprietary 3F file format to maximize the DAC corrections and color interpretations preferred by HD users compared to Adobe solutions. RAW workflow is allegedly maximized by designing a very "Lightroom" like process ... which is no surprise since Lightroom development people were employed in the "Phocus" creation.

( BTW, I know this because I participate in a by invitation only forum of Hasselblad Digital users made up of mostly professional photographers) I am going to invite a few key participants of that forum to join us here since they are far more knowledgeable than I concerning specific technical details. This should help expand this MF Digital forum as a resource.

Marc please invite folks that would like a place to hang out and that goes for all of you. I know it is a little slow right now being only 2 weeks old but we will build in strength but i will let you in on a little secret. For the only 163 members we have there is a big number of Pro's here. Bigger than forums that been around awhile. Hope that says something for our home here and the people in it.

robsteve

Subscriber
So, keep Flexcolor. I have about 10 versions saved.

A lot of the software advancements being made are specifically for the H3D cameras and how the DAC corrections work for those cameras and lenses. Not applicable for the M8 anyway.
I was hoping for Flexcolor Color with a nice GUI like lightroom. The current Flexcolor is a bit slow to use.

woodyspedden

As I posted in another forum, I would recommend you read this months (January/February) issue of Photo Techniques where the Canon 1DsMkIII was compared to the H2 with Hasselblad lenses, the H3 with the same Hasselblad lenses, and a Linhof View Camera with Rodenstock lenses. Both the Linhof and the H2 used the same P45+ back and of course the H3 used the proprietary Hasselblad 39 MPx back.

Lots of interesting things to chew on here

Best

Woody