The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sinar Hy6 Review

T

thsinar

All absolutely right, thanks Graham!

Best regards,
Thierry

The cameras are basically identical and interchangeable.

And so it will with the Sinar back, but you need to be using Exposure, not Capture Shop, and have the right firmware in the digital back too.

T

thsinar

Dear Marc,

Like always, when a new product is introduced, there are some compromises to be dealt with and to make.

In this case Michael (LL) and Sinar found a date (begin of November) to send him a Sinar Hy6 for his review. Since Exposure was then in beta-testing phase, we did not want to give this new SW out to be tested with the camera.
Therefore, and since the test/review was mainly to be on this new Hy6 camera, we have sent it with the Captureshop SW version. We do not plan to make EXIF data available/readable with Captureshop, only with the coming Exposure.

So, to put it short, following EXIF data are currently AVAILABLE and sent by the Hy6 and then displayed in Exposure:

- Camera model
- Lens type
- Aperture
- Exposure time
- Focal lenght
- Distance to subject
- ISO
- Capturing mode (P. S, A, M)
- Light metering mode (spot, center weighted, matrix)
- TTL flash / no TTL flash

And, following EXIF data are available from the back itself and then sent and displayed in Exposure:

- Attached digital back
- Serial number of digital back
- Capturing date
- Image size in pixels (pixels x pixels)
- White balance (type of illumination)

I hope this clarifies.

Best regards,
Thierry

Interesting. Sinar sent a camera and back that didn't have the right software or firmware to be reviewed?

Stuart Richardson

That's great, so the whole EXIF data "nightmare" is just with the old software? It might be nice to have the info on the back, but as long as it is in the software, that's good. Will it show up outside of exposure, like in Adobe Bridge for example?

T

thsinar

Dear Stuart,

yes, the "nightmare" is over, with the new Exposure.

Exposure writes DNGs, and as such can be used in any DNG compatible application, with the EXIF data.

Best regards,
Thierry

That's great, so the whole EXIF data "nightmare" is just with the old software? It might be nice to have the info on the back, but as long as it is in the software, that's good. Will it show up outside of exposure, like in Adobe Bridge for example?

Stuart Richardson

I put "nightmare" in quotes because I think it is really a minor issue. Obviously it is important, but the fuss they are making about it is huge. Especially since the review talks about the fantastic quality of the imagery, the high ISO performance, the light weight of the body and excellent lenses available. The criticisms seem to be very minor (several, like for the finder for things that he does not even have in front of him) and a little petty in my mind. But it's his site, his review and he can focus on what he wants. I just had to laugh a little when he talked about the battery charger only accepting one battery at a time. It's like test driving an Aston Martin and complaining that it does not have enough cup holders...ok, I understand that it might be nice two have more than one, but if it is a deal-breaker for you, just get another.

PeterA

I have always noted a certain favorable 'bias' towards Phase One expressed in that site. The bias varies in effect from amusing to slightly bothersome - but you expect people to have favourable biases towards their mates and their own gear choices.

The Sinar back has definately been held back by its previous software - shame because as a camera it has a number of what i think are excellent features, including user swappable adaptors, inbuilt storage as well as CF card storage. The major and obvious point of difference though is the current lcd screen - compared to its competitors - a bit on the tiny side. As far as pricing goes though as a person looking at swapping out of Leaf into Sinar +Hy6 + complete new set of lenses vs Hasselblad and keeping lens line-up plus existing H1 adaptor plate on Alpa etc - that was deal breaker for me - the trade in cost to a 39 megapixl ( vs 31 megapixel from Sinar/leaf) plus new body plus a 28 thrown in was too good a deal for me to refuse. As for Phase One down here in Australia - the distributor is in la-la-land with his prices.

T

thsinar

Stuart,

In fact, when you read the review and are "intelligent" enough, that's what jumps out: little "details" (which might not be details for all, however details) because there is nothing other to be criticized. And you have noticed it.

That was my impression when Michael sent me the review and asked if we had the feeling something is wrong and if we want to give clarifications. We did give the clarifications, among others about the non-availability of the EXIF data with Captureshop, but it was somehow misunderstood and too late on saturday/sunday to change anything.

In any case, if one wants to find something, there will always be something to find, and some are experts in this.

Best regards,
Thierry

I put "nightmare" in quotes because I think it is really a minor issue. Obviously it is important, but the fuss they are making about it is huge. Especially since the review talks about the fantastic quality of the imagery, the high ISO performance, the light weight of the body and excellent lenses available. The criticisms seem to be very minor (several, like for the finder for things that he does not even have in front of him) and a little petty in my mind. But it's his site, his review and he can focus on what he wants. I just had to laugh a little when he talked about the battery charger only accepting one battery at a time. It's like test driving an Aston Martin and complaining that it does not have enough cup holders...ok, I understand that it might be nice two have more than one, but if it is a deal-breaker for you, just get another.

T

thsinar

hi Peter,

Whatever product the LL forum is biased towards, I wish to give credit to Michael and am much thankful for his professionalism. I have full respect for him and the way he is handling things, and never noted any bias, even if he owes another brand of product. I feel him to be fair, also concerning Sinar, and never saw him bashing any product in particular.

Best regards,
Thierry

I have always noted a certain favorable 'bias' towards Phase One expressed in that site. The bias varies in effect from amusing to slightly bothersome - but you expect people to have favourable biases towards their mates and their own gear choices.