The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Vintage Lenses for MFDB ? ? ?

Anders_HK

Ok, this guy done it on 5D & 350D, but... what about doing same with MFDB either by Mamiya 645 lens mount or via Hassy and adapter?

Here http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/

He writes "The photos produced by these lenses are in no way technically perfect, but they have a character of their own, and they often exhibit some intangible quality missing in photos taken with better lenses."

- One can only agree. Speak of character!

Any ideas???

Regards :salute:
Anders

JimCollum

.. bout as vintage as they get (1853 HBH Petzval). have it mounted on a shutter here, but since then i've adapted it to mount to a mamiya 645

:)

Anders_HK

Jim,

Certainly very, very interesting!

How do you mount it on your 645 w/Aptus? Which AFD, and do you need to also mount shutter and aperture for lens?

In my short time reading up on vintage lenses I note the Petzval, Goerz Dragor, Goerz Dogmar and Voigtlander Heliar. Is a Petzval such as yours very heavy?

Many thanks :salute:

Regards
Anders

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
How do you mount it on your 645 w/Aptus? Which AFD, and do you need to also mount shutter and aperture for lens?
Look at the picture of the outfit above -- back on one end and lens on the other end of his view cam -- that's how he uses it!

gsking

A friend of mine just acquired a D5000 and said she could now officially "geek out". In camera terms, I think that rig more appropriately exemplifies a better example of being a camera geek. :)

Heck, it even looks like you could put a motor on it and drive it around with a remote control. ;)

Very cool, Jim! Nice job. I was just dabbling with my 645 200 2.8 on a Mirex T/S adapter and couldn't get anything useful out of it. I've gained a lot of respect for this type of work.

Anders_HK

What does the round knob on top of the lens barrel do?

Oh, never mind. Open and close the aperture, got it. :D

Steve Hendrix
Steve,

Nope. Check here under Aperture Control and Focus Control;
http://www.antiquecameras.net/petzvallens.html

- No aperture, wide open.
- Says wheel is for focus control

You guys have no stock?? :ROTFL:

I think others can fill in more on these lenses, I am newbe, but I find the thought of a vintage lens on my Mamiya 645 AFD3 & Aptus 65 very interesting indeed. Why? Some of vintage lenses appear to have very interesting rendering. :thumbs: Albeit depends on price, and... perhaps something smaller... :toocool:

Regards
Anders

Steve Hendrix

Steve,

Nope. Check here under Aperture Control and Focus Control;
http://www.antiquecameras.net/petzvallens.html

- No aperture, wide open.
- Says wheel is for focus control

You guys have no stock?? :ROTFL:

I think others can fill in more on these lenses, I am newbe, but I find the thought of a vintage lens on my Mamiya 645 AFD3 & Aptus 65 very interesting indeed. Why? Some of vintage lenses appear to have very interesting rendering. :thumbs: Albeit depends on price, and... perhaps something smaller... :toocool:

Regards
Anders

Oh. :eek:

Hmmm.

Well, we're always about providing the best tools for photographers. Should we stock these? :rolleyes:

For a company that sells products that deliver amazingly sharp, accurate results, I personally am all for whatever helps you get across whatever it might be for that image you're after. And that is not necessarily about sharpness or accuracy. I love what Jim does with his gear. It's all about the image, your image.

Steve Hendrix

JimCollum

the knob is for focusing. I used one of my Hassey/Mamiya adapters that didn't focus to infinity and duct taped the lens and a piece of pvc cut to a length that will give me infinity focus.

it's not the sharpest lens around.. but it's character isn't common

faneuil

Just picked up a 4" (100mm) petzval lens. Hasn't arrived yet. Hope to cobble it onto my phase DF using Hassy/Mam adapter and ?black PVC? tubing and try to do portraits.

Any hints?

Eric

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
If it's for portraits, the old Mamiya bellows may work -- but be advised when I measured the one I had, I figured you could focus a 110 at infinity, so your 100 will probably not hit infinity mounted on the Mamiya bellows...