The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PhaseOne and iPad

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I've been experimenting using the iPad as a backup device, and for most raw files the iPad can read and display them. getting image files onto the iPad isn't too challenging with the Camera Connection Kit. SDHC cards use the one adaptor, and for CF cards my cheap Belkin USB card reader plugged into the USB adaptor works just fine.

The iPad will import and display nearly every raw format out there (those supported by the OS which means those supported by Aperture). Unfortunately PhaseOne files are not supported.

However, if you have the Phase back set up to use the .TIF extension instead of the .IIQ extension, the iPad does recognize them and allow you to import them as image files. You can see a thumbnail of the image in the import screen, but only a generic icon after that (no image).

You can either use iPhoto to pull them off the iPad and then move them to a folder location of your choice to open them in C1, or in my case Lightroom will allow you to import the files directly from the iPad much like a CF card. Lightroom doesn't display a preview of the images in the import dialog, but after importing I verified the files are copies of the original raws including filenames, and lightroom will build the previews.

One caveat so far is there is no good way to organize the files, other than allow lightroom to separate them into subfolders based on date.

For dSLR shooters who shoot Jpeg+Raw the iPad supports this very well, it only shows one image with jpeg+raw displayed when importing and in the photo app, but when you pull them off of the ipad through lightroom both files get copied.

Too soon to say how useful this is, but all of this functionality requires no 3rd party support. I couldn't get C1 to see the iPad but guessing it wouldn't take much to change that.

Hopefully somehow the PhaseOne backs show up a little more on Apples radar (I believe aperture supports hasselblad raw) so they might put in some raw support. I can see the iPad being a pretty nice field backup/cataloging device integrating very well with full desktop apps in the future.

But even without that, it may be useful as a CF card backup device when in the field. 10 hour battery life and 1.5 pounds is certainly a sweet combination.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
How about Hassy shooters? I cannot imagine Phocus would run on iPad.
You can't really edit the images on the iPad, just use it for offloading your cards/backup, and if the formats are supported, you can view them including zooming to 1:1 to check things like focus. No Phocus, Lightroom, Adobe Camera Raw type stuff.

Currently listed as supported by Aperture for hasselblad are the CF-22, CF-39,CFV-16, H3D-31, H3D 31II, and H3DII-50. The iPad may very well be able to render those raw files and allow them to be viewed.

Alas, no such support for Phase files. The other problem I've found is you can't delete a phase file from the iPad itself. Since it won't render into an image, you don't get a delete option. Only choice is to import them to a host computer from the iPad, and have the host computer delete after importing.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Tethered is the interesting aspect for me.
My wish list would be to extend the functionality of the back by providing both live view for tech camera focusing as well as tethered shooting in the field.
there is a bit of software requires as well as the problem of the firewire cable..
-bob

K

KWR Phase One

Hi . . .
Well all I can say is I bought several iPads and sent them to Denmark. I know our guys there are looking at all sorts of possibilities. Give it some time and send me your suggestions. I’ll pass them on.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
First Kevin we need to be able to shoot Raw and Jpeg. That way a jpeg can be used as the Ipad version or even backup to our raws. This function even without the Ipad is a good feature to have. If we can get that as the base than the Ipad can more receptive to tethered or wireless given what the engineers come up with. I think we need that as the base than take it from there. This is basically a firmware change with no hardware involved.

T.Karma

I heared the ipad is also useful as:

- a mirror to shave yourself in the field
- a nice breakfast table
- a ground plate to put your laptop on
- an object of social interest to figure out what it can be used for (as in this thread)

Good to know its an Apple, so it must be useful, ........ somehow.

xpixel

I heared the ipad is also useful as:

- a mirror to shave yourself in the field
- a nice breakfast table
- a ground plate to put your laptop on
- an object of social interest to figure out what it can be used for (as in this thread)

Good to know its an Apple, so it must be useful, ........ somehow.

:D

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Hi . . .
Well all I can say is I bought several iPads and sent them to Denmark. I know our guys there are looking at all sorts of possibilities. Give it some time and send me your suggestions. I’ll pass them on.
C1 Lite ... let me import the images, tag them with keywords and ratings, and then let C1 import them to my hard drive.

And I like Guy's suggestion as well.

I just dont get it. A MacBook Air would be much more suitable and with a beautiful 13" screen, plenty of storage, full keyboard and not much heavier.

Or, better to get one of the 750 GB harddrives with image viewer for that purpose.

When there is Ipad "2" with truly functional storage (500gb), legitimate inputs, and enough processing power to render/review/delete and catalog on the road, then we'll have something . . .

Stuart Richardson

Well, 499 versus 1499 is a fairly large jump in price. That might be one factor. Three times the price, it is also almost exactly twice the weight, 50% thicker, 1.5" wider, and 2.5" longer. While I also think it is a much more capable solution, it is still not quite the same sort of thing. I can see why people would prefer something like the ipad...

D

DougDolde

But $499 only gets you 16GB and probably less considering what the system and apps take up. I bought a couple Lexar 16GB cards for $200, a lot cheaper than an iPad.

You can buy a refurbed MacBook Air for $1200 with a 64GB SSD. But then you need to compare the $699 iPad.

O

Optechs Digital

Wayne,

Thanks for your very informative post. It looks to me like these devices will end up being quite useful in photography.

Kevin,

If the Phase/Leaf engineers can find anyway to feed live video either wired or wireless to the Ipad and/or Iphone can you imagine how excited the Alpa and other tech camera users will be. Not to mention all the new business that this feature would generate.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Paul

jimban

Hi-

It seems to me that an iPad could be usefull in this application if it was an entirely different device.

How about a 6x8 in hi rez lcd with a fire wire cord 1GB memory and C1 raw converter implemented in firmware. I'd guess about a pound and parts cost of less than $200.

$*.. ! I'd pay 10 times that.