The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using other manufacturers' lenses on the forthcoming Pentax 645D

Ed Hurst

Hello all,

As a long-time Pentax 67 user, I am very excited by the prospect of the forthcoming 645D for two reasons: 1) it is simply cheaper than other MFD solutions at comparable resolution, making it a sensible proposition for me for the first time; 2) with the use of the Pentax 67-645 adaptor, I will be able to use my existing arsenal of P67 lenses (which is considerable, incorporating the 55mm f4, 75mm f2.8AL, 75mm f4.5, 90mm f2.8, 90mm f2.8L/S, 105mm f2.4, 135mm f4 macro, 150mm f2.8, 165mm f2.8, 200mm f4 and 300mm f4 EDIF) making the cost saving even greater.

I have been musing on whether the P67 lenses will be up to the job in terms of making the most of the resolution of the sensor. I suspect that some will and some not... The modern telephoto lenses (such as the lovely 300 f4 EDIF) I suspect will fare very well because they are optically excellent anyway and probably telecentric, playing to the needs of a digital sensor. Some of the older and/or shorter lenses I am less certain of, even those which do very well on film, due to the differing needs of digital.

Anyway, enough preamble! My question is, if I end up wanting to use other manufacturers' lenses on the body (with an adaptor) in order to get the best possible optical performance, which lenses do you recommend and which would even be possible? For example, I suspect that the Hasselblad H-series lenses would be very good because they are designed with digi in mind - but, due to their integral shutters, would it be possible to use them with the 645D via an apaptor? Any other/better alternatives? And would I get good results since I wouldn't be making use of the software that the manufacturer of the lenses supplies (e.g. I know Hasselblad supplies software that I read plays no small part in getting the best results from their lens/sensor combinations)? Or perhaps I could use that software anyway? But if I did, would the fact that use a different sensor make that undesirableor clunky?

Multiple questions, but you get what I am driving at! How do I get the best possible results from the 645D with the best optics I can possibly get hold of?

All advice much appreciated.

Ed

P.S. I know this is speculation for now since none of us has actually got our hands on the 645D!

bensonga

Hi Ed. I'm in a similar position as you.....a large collection of Pentax 67 lenses (including most of the one's you have) and a P67->P645 adapter that I've recently put to good use on a 645NII I purchased a couple months ago. I purchased a few of the 645 manual focus lenses to use on the 645NII, but I actually prefer using the P67 lenses on it.

IF I ever pony up the $$ for a 645D, my thought was to purchase some of the 645 FA lenses and I presume that Pentax may well introduce some new "digital" versions of these (as they did with the 55mm lens, announced at the same time as the 645D). That would be my first line of attack, so to speak. I've always been very happy with Pentax optics, so I have no doubt Pentax can come out with some terrific new lenses for the 645D, if they choose to do so. Also, many of the 645 FA lenses are well regarded, from what I've read....especially that 35mm FA lens.

Hard to say whether there will be adapters for non-Pentax lenses to be used on the 645D.....though if the 645D is really as good as we all hope, it might well cause Voigtlander, Novoflex or others to develop lens adapters for the camera.

If you're not already aware of it....the Pentax MF forum is a good source of information also.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-medium-format-645-6x7-645d/

Gary

Last edited:

Ed Hurst

Hi Gary,

Thanks for that - really appreciate your advice.

I expect that, if the 645D is a commercial success, Pentax will bring out further lenses optimised for digital use. I'm also hopeful that the fact that the new 55mm lens has been made with an image circle large enough to cover full sized 645 means that they hope to make further digital bodies with larger sensors; no harm hoping!

As for the existence of adaptors, there are already third-party adaptors available to mount all sorts of lenses on the Pentax 645 mount (Mamiya, Hasselblad V, etc.). I don't know if the H series mount is amongst them. I also don't know if any of these allow you to meter with the lens open and to retain some automatic functions, as the Pentax 67-645 adaptor does. I suspect they do not, depending on stop-down metering, but if anyone knows, I'd be glad to learn...

I guess what I'd most like to know, apart from whether this can be done, is what solution is likely to yield the best possible result - and whether it requires not simply using specific lenses but the use of particular software to get the most out of the solution.

Best wishes,

Ed

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Does anyone know any of the Pentax folk? It's a shame there is no distribution channel outside of Japan and no representatives out-and-about to answer such questions. If someone knows someone that could join the board that would surely be a service to the community. Even at the price Pentax is pursuing (at least as translated to USD directly - which is not a sure price given the non-availability outside of Japan) it is an expensive system and it would be weird not to have someone to take your calls for questions/concerns/repairs. Guy/Jack maybe you could email them to see if they would like to send someone to the board.

VERY unlikely you'll see an adapter for Hasselblad H lenses or Phase One D lenses because they are electronic lenses which can only stop down by electronic request.

PRETTY unlikely you'll see an adapter for RZ67 glass since those lenses are focused by bellows. It's possible someone would make a bellows system, but it seems not that likely.

Re: possibility of other new glass in an all new lineup - it might be relevant to study the history of other new lens lines of recent years: Sinar Hy6, Leaf AFi, Hasselblad H, Leica S2.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

bensonga

As for the existence of adaptors, there are already third-party adaptors available to mount all sorts of lenses on the Pentax 645 mount (Mamiya, Hasselblad V, etc.).
Best wishes,
Ed
Hi Ed. It sure is good to have another Pentax 67 owner here on GetDPI! :)

I'll have to check into those third-party adapters for the P645. I've got a bunch of Hasselblad/Zeiss V-system lenses that could be used, although frankly, I really like the P67->645 adapter for the reasons you mentioned above. Great to have auto-diaphram and focus confirmation when using my P67 lenses on the P645.

Although I'm sure any new lineup of 645 digital lenses optimized for the Pentax 645D would be more expensive than buying used lenses from other companies....they are still likely to be less expensive than new Hasselblad H series lenses (and certainly alot less the Leica's S-series lenses).

As Doug noted.....the big question will be what kind of service and support Pentax is going to offer here in the USA. I hope they "go for the gold" in that regard.....they've certainly got a camera that seems to be very competitive, at least for those of us who don't have to make a living with our cameras.....and maybe for a few who do as well.

Gary

Ed Hurst

Hello chaps,

Doug - you're right, it would be fantastic to get some direct Pentax input here. As for adaptors, I have no interest in RZ lenses, partly because I don't have any and partly because I see no real benefit to them compared to the Pentax 67 lenses I already own. What i am interested in is what the best possible optics are (from the perspective of making the best of a digital sensor) that I could get to fit on a Pentax 645D with an adaptor. Any thoughts on that?

Gary - if I had V system lenses, I would be looking at using them on a Pentax 645D, even if it did mean stop-down metering. Be interesing to see how they perform with the digital sensor. You can find the adaptors on a certain auction site all the time. By the way, I am based in a mix of the UK and Australia, so the support I would like from Pentax actually extends outside of the US :) You probably guessed my non-US heritage from my use of the phrase "Hello chaps" didn't you?

Best wishes,

Ed

bensonga

The Hasselblad/Zeiss lenses seem to work very well on my CFV-16 and from what I can tell, most of the folks using them on the CFV-39 and the H-series digital cameras feel they are generally up to the task, so they would probably be good on a 645D too. There are some very good prices on Hasselblad CF/CFi/CFE glass these days. The thing that really appealed to me about the 645D was the ability to use my legacy Pentax glass and then invest in selected new autofocus Pentax lenses....for less than I paid for the 503 CFVII-16 setup a couple years ago....or would spend on just a CFV-39 back now.

On the other hand....the Hasselblad is a great system in and of itself and I wouldn't sell it to fund a 645D.

I'll be really interested to see how the new 55mm lens performs on the 645D. I think that will tell us alot about how Pentax glass is going to do on the larger digital sensor.

Where abouts in Australia? I lived in Brisbane for two years in the mid-70s. Loved the country and the people.....I really need to get back there for a visit someday.

Gary

Ed Hurst

If I don't find any other options, I have a feeling the Pentax lenses will do very well... The obsessive in me would still like to know if there is a better option though!

As for where in Oz, the answer is in the attached image... :)

Ed

Ed Hurst

Thanks Gary - I was very lucky to get that lighting on the evening I went up in a helicopter over Sydney!

By the way, for anyone who's interested, I have asked Pentax Japan (via a Japanese dealer) whether the first release of the 645D (which, as we know, is in Japan only) has the menu functions available in multiple languages. Obviously pretty vital information for anyone non-Japanese speaking seeking to purchase this camera whilst it is only on sale in Japan. When I get a response, I'll let you all know.

Best wishes,

Ed

Professional

Can i use RZ67 lenses on RB67 body? i am planning to buy RB67 and not sure if i need different lenses for it rather than my RZ67, also can i use Carl Ziess lenses on my Hasselblad 501CM different than C/CF/CFE/CFi even those are Carl Zeiss i think?

Ed Hurst

Thanks for that Gary - most useful.

Subject to the menus being available in English at this early stage, I have more or less decided to get the camera myself pretty soon, so I should also be able to contribute information and impressions to this group (including results using the P67 lenses). If anyone has any specific tests that I can perform, let me know and I will be glad to try (not that I am exactly a camera tester by experience).

Ed