The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

falling in love with 80 1.9

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It's a gem for sure -- and again, we told you so :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

RayM

Eric, VERY nice photos that also show the character of the lens. I'm curious about this lens too. Is your lens the "N" series lens or is it older than that? Is it used "stop down" or can it be used on the DF series camera without having to stop it down? Thanks, Ray

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
You can use it stopped down. Focus than stop down to what you want. Metering goes to spot metering. I have the N version actually I bought Jacks.

faneuil

Eric, VERY nice photos that also show the character of the lens. I'm curious about this lens too. Is your lens the "N" series lens or is it older than that? Is it used "stop down" or can it be used on the DF series camera without having to stop it down? Thanks, Ray
thanks for looking and comments. It is a C lens.
Glass excellent, body is 'user' condition. I love old dog lenses that can perform.

You have to stop down to meter, but I shoot open or very near wide open most of the time. I don't imagine stopping down much when I use this lens.

My favorite feature when manual lens is on the DF body? Quick tiny beep from camera when you nail the focus!

cheers
Eric

RayM

Guy and Eric, Thanks for the info. I know it's like trying to describe what wine tastes like, but what are your thoughts on the look of the 80C vs the N lens? I too like the look of older glass, and this is exactly what's got me interested in this lens.

Guy, I didn't know you picked up Jack's 80N. I picked up his 150D. It's such a beautiful lens. Aren't we both glad he has us to help him??

Thanks guys, Ray

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
what are your thoughts on the look of the 80C vs the N lens?
I've owned and shot both. The C version I had was of lower contrast and not quite as sharp when stopped down as the N version Guy got from me. The N version is basically as sharp as the new 80D lens once stopped down past f5.6 and maybe only slightly less contrast. However, the real magic in these lenses is in the f1.9 through f2.8 range, and here it probably doesn't matter which you get as you're probably going for the special character. However, if you want to move between the wide-open character and sharper stopped down performance, the N version is probably worth the extra money.

My .02,

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I think now don't quote me the N has a different lens coating but I need to find someone to confirm that for sure. I need to shoot it more but I would really like to try and hold on to it.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I think now don't quote me the N has a different lens coating but I need to find someone to confirm that for sure. I need to shoot it more but I would really like to try and hold on to it.
Guy,
I am next in line for that lens. :rolleyes:
-bob

RayM

Guy, if you hear about the lens coating differences, please do mention it.

Jack, If I'm interpreting your thoughts correctly, it's basically your observation that the N series has more of a look/feel consistent with the current D series except in the "magic" range of 1.9-2.8, and that the C series lens has the feeling of a prior/older generation??

I'm thinking of using it every once in awhile for portraits and for sort-of-non-macro close-ups similar to what Eric showed earlier in this thread. I'm thinking of going for the C series lens this time around if I can find a good one.

Thanks, Ray

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack, If I'm interpreting your thoughts correctly, it's basically your observation that the N series has more of a look/feel consistent with the current D series except in the "magic" range of 1.9-2.8, and that the C series lens has the feeling of a prior/older generation??
Not quite. More like the N version has higher overall contrast and perhaps a tad sharper stopped down, though that could be a perception from the higher contrast. Both have the mojo at f1.9 - f2.8.

AFAIK, the main thing the N lenses had over the C lenses was a newer coating designed to be consistent between lenses, so you'd get more consistent matching between images on color tranny films.

RayM

Thanks all. Jack this extra clarification really helps. I'll do some more thinking on it. And, in looking at KEH, it looks like their price sounds pretty reasonable too. Thanks guys, Ray