The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H4D-60 ....coming soon

Professional

Just a thought, on my night shots i feel there is kind of color noise and there is a banding effect maybe on one of the shots [iso 800], i can't be sure if that is due to high iso or my workflow or because of the weather and bad condition, I will give that a test later in the future if the weather getting better, and i will clean my lenses better so i will eliminate any possible errors or issues i can get with the system and see.

One question: how do you clean your H series camera sensor, i've got a black dot big in the frames, i hate when this happen and it is just second time i took it out and got dust, so is there a way to clean the camera and how?

Professional

Never touch the sensor with anything, use a good air blower. If it doesn't go away you need a sensor cleaning kit ...
The problem is, i have a blower and a cleaning kit, but i don't know where is the sensor in H3D/H4D.

* I am uploading 2 night shots @ iso 50 now, will take long time as i have slow uploading speed.

Hi Tareq nice shots! looks like you're having fun with it, My dealer showed me how to take the Back off, you need to take the Viewfinder off and then you can remove the back and the sensor is there, I wouldn't touch the sensor without someone showing you though :p

Professional

Hi Tareq nice shots! looks like you're having fun with it, My dealer showed me how to take the Back off, you need to take the Viewfinder off and then you can remove the back and the sensor is there, I wouldn't touch the sensor without someone showing you though :p
Hey Willy[sorry to call you this but i like it],
Thank you very much to tell me this, in this case i will take my camera to the dealer and let them clean for me, or at least show me how to do it.

Paul Spinnler

Yes let the dealer show it to you ... and remember: never, ever touch the sensor unless you really need to, i.e. in the case of something that can't be removed by air. I had a p30 before for almost a year and never touched the sensor glass. All it took was a good blow of the blower now and then ...

And be careful with pressured air cans ... when you shake them or first use them some liquid might be sprayed out, I've heard of horro stories in this regard ...

Professional

Yes let the dealer show it to you ... and remember: never, ever touch the sensor unless you really need to, i.e. in the case of something that can't be removed by air. I had a p30 before for almost a year and never touched the sensor glass. All it took was a good blow of the blower now and then ...

And be careful with pressured air cans ... when you shake them or first use them some liquid might be sprayed out, I've heard of horro stories in this regard ...
Sure, i didn't know where the sensor on my H3DII-39, and this new camera i will never touch the sensor as this is very new camera in my list and it is the most expensive and i still paying the bill of it, so i don't want to damage anything, haha.

thanks for the file!!!!
You welcome!

haha No worries Tareq! Downloading the file, Not sure if the 60 is the same but I was told with the H4D-40 that there is an IR filter in front of the actual sensor so if you do something bad its just a matter of replacing that filter, could be different with the H4D-60 though! I wouldn't use compressed air at all! doesn't it have chemicals in it?

Professional

haha No worries Tareq! Downloading the file, Not sure if the 60 is the same but I was told with the H4D-40 that there is an IR filter in front of the actual sensor so if you do something bad its just a matter of replacing that filter, could be different with the H4D-60 though! I wouldn't use compressed air at all! doesn't it have chemicals in it?
What is this IR filter do to the camera or the shot? I heard about it long time since 2008 but really i didn't read anything about it yet, so shame i have the camera and didn't read about that filter yet, so what the filter actually doing?
I never blow the air inside camera or on the sensor until i blow it on the air away for first time and see if there is any dirt, dust, liquid, surprises inside, then when i am feeling safe i blow air with a good distance upside down the camera sensor towards the gravity, but in all cases, maybe blower will clean something buy will bring another dust inside, like replacing lol, so i better ask the dealer and see.I have that Visible Dust kit, but honestly, i am brave enough to do for 35mm DSLRs but not for digital MF.

fotografz

Here is a tip about cleaning.

Always remove the back for cleaning in a clean environment and turn off any fans present and let the air settle. These sensors attract dust like a magnet.

There is a thing called dry compressed air. It never spews out any liquid.

Get Pec Pads for any wiping necessary. Keep them in a separate sealed freezer type bag. Never wipe until you have removed dust first.

Look at getting an Artic Butterfly ... this is a soft brush with a motorized handle ... you turn it on and let it spin for awhile ... which builds up a small static charge ... then turn it off and lightly brush the cover filter ... the brush attracts the dust from the sensor filter.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: really take your time removing and replacing the back for cleaning. Most filter scratches happen when your hand slightly slips and the filter meets some metal part on the camera mount (been there, done that : -(

-Marc

Professional

Here is a tip about cleaning.

Always remove the back for cleaning in a clean environment and turn off any fans present and let the air settle. These sensors attract dust like a magnet.

There is a thing called dry compressed air. It never spews out any liquid.

Get Pec Pads for any wiping necessary. Keep them in a separate sealed freezer type bag. Never wipe until you have removed dust first.

Look at getting an Artic Butterfly ... this is a soft brush with a motorized handle ... you turn it on and let it spin for awhile ... which builds up a small static charge ... then turn it off and lightly brush the cover filter ... the brush attracts the dust from the sensor filter.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: really take your time removing and replacing the back for cleaning. Most filter scratches happen when your hand slightly slips and the filter meets some metal part on the camera mount (been there, done that : -(

-Marc
Very Valuable info, thank you very much, Marc.

Professional

impressive detail. i cannot see any resolution difference when comparing shots done with my P65+ and alpa with digitars and rodenstocks. very impressive. blows my S2 away...well megapixels count after all.
peter
I can't tell until i can do the comparison by myself, and after all it is just the kit lens, 80mm, i will be more impressed if i use sharper lenses such as 100mm or 120 macro, 28m is sharp enough, but i want to meet that person i met before 2 days ago who is dealer with Phase One here in my area, and want to do a comparison test between H4D-60 and P65+, but i will ask him to do the test on DF camera and not view camera and see the results.

Until now i didn't test my new 120mm macro lens as i want to shoot something so interesting and elegance worthy to use the lens on, close up or food or jewel and so, so still the lens in the box waiting a subject.

Professional

Quick question: when i import an image on Phocus as fff, then when i try to edit it, i can't see my adjustments or editing applied when i export the shot, what's the matter?

jlm

Workshop Member
i have found that 80mm lens to be quite good.

by the way, when the back is removed for cleaning the sensor, the surface is very accessible and easy to inspect/clean compared to any fixed sensor camera (DSLR, M9, S2)