The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phocus 2.5 Will process Canon/Nikon....

arashm

Hi
I'm surprised this has not been mentioned, also note that it's a free download.

below is the Press Release:

Hasselblad today announced the release of Phocus 2.5 for Mac, breaking new ground by adding RAW support for more than 150 third party digital cameras, including cameras from Canon, Nikon, Leica, Sony, Fuji, Olympus, and more, as well as support for the most common file formats such as TIFF, JPEG, DNG, and PNG. This added file support results in a single, comprehensive - and free - solution that will enable all Hasselblad photographers to streamline their work process by working with both Hasselblad images and those captured with their 35mm DSLRs in one and the same application. Phocus 2.5 also contains a number of new and exciting features that improve workflow and image quality, in addition to further enhancing Phocus's open environment by enabling the photographer to share keywords from Aperture and Lightroom. Photographers who use Leaf digital backs also benefit from this upgrade, with the inclusion of RAW support for Leaf digital backs.

"This new version of the software is perfectly in line with our overall ambition of providing the most seamless, photographer oriented tools possible," says Peter Stig, Product Director at Hasselblad. "Most high-end shooters work with a range of cameras, some Medium Format, some 35mm, depending on the challenges of the job at hand. Phocus 2.5 allows Mac users to stay in the same familiar and powerful Phocus environment, regardless of what type of camera the files come from. In addition," he continues, " the support for Leaf backs gives photographers the ability to accurately evaluate the benefits of moving towards an integrated Hasselblad product, such as one of our new medium format DSLRs H4D-40, H4D-50 or H4D-60."

The key to Phocus 2.5's file support capabilities is a clever use of Apple's OS X, as Peter Stig explains: "The new Phocus 2.5 architecture has been tailored to use the imaging engine of Apple's OS X operating system and takes full advantage of OS X's support for a wide range of digital cameras, allowing us to support this range of non-Hasselblad files. Support for additional cameras will come with each new version of OS X. Tethered capture is not supported."

"In addition," says Peter Stig, "for 35mm DSLR shooters considering the move up to Medium Format, Phocus 2.5 for Mac provides a great opportunity to get acquainted with the Hasselblad world of Medium Format photography and image processing, including workflow options with browsing, adjusting and processing 35mm RAW image files."

Maintaining the strengths of Phocus 2.0, the new release allows current Phocus users to seamlessly transition to version 2.5, with no learning curve. For those previously unfamiliar with Phocus, switching to the "lite" mode provides a user-friendly and streamlined interface that still provides access to the most important core features such as browsing, and the new full quality printing and slideshow creation options.

"With the launch of Phocus 2.5," Peter Stig concludes, "Hasselblad continues to deliver upon its commitment to provide the world's best camera systems to the world's most demanding photographers."

Phocus 2.5 for Mac is free of charge and available for download from the Hasselblad web site on May 19th 2010.

Oh really? I will have to try that. I got a level of color purity with my DMR using FlexColor that I never got from any other raw converter. It will be interesting to see how it does on the Sony files.

Thanks for posting that!

Nick-T

Guys I'd be surprised if they would add support for other MF files.. EDIT I just read the Press release and see they are supporting Leaf files.../EDIT

I'm afraid that third party RAW support will be restricted to the mac versions because they are leveraging OS X's inbuilt support for RAW files (Just as aperture does). FYI about 85% of Phocus users are mac based.

Nick-T

P.S 2.5 works as advertised and it's great to be able to manage Canon and Hasselblad files in the one place.

Last edited:

P. Chong

FYI about 85% of Phocus users are mac based.

Nick-T

P.S 2.5 works as advertised and it's great to be able to manage Canon and Hasselblad files in the one place.
yes, but PC users also pay the same money for the bodies and lenses. Why shouldn't we get the same treatment?

Unfortunately trying to do the same thing with Microsoft architecture is much much harder.

Access to certain camera 'codecs' is not 100% straightforward.

It is not an exclusion by us on purpose, more a limitation of the OS.

P. Chong

Thanks David. Good response. But please do try and help us minority PC users.

Unfortunately trying to do the same thing with Microsoft architecture is much much harder.

Access to certain camera 'codecs' is not 100% straightforward.

It is not an exclusion by us on purpose, more a limitation of the OS.

Ed Hurst

David - any idea whether future updates will include the capability to do raw conversion of the native raw files from the forthcoming Pentax 645D (not the DNG's, but the actual raws)? I know it's a competitor MFD solution, but so is Leaf...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Great, will have to try it.

As a Hasselblad shooter I now could stay within one post processing tool. Will see how it performs WRT C1Pro.

I doubt it will be free forever. Maybe only the first few months (or year).

dfarkas

Workshop Member
If the RAW support is coming from OSX, does that mean that the conversions will look like those from Aperture? (not that that is a bad thing, just curious)

David

jlm

Workshop Member
M8,M9 and digilux 2 are on the apple camera list. the digilux 2 has not been covered by C1, so this is good news for me.

cunim

Tell, the truth, I have no interest in using Phocus with other camera formats. There are better tools for that. However, I have a keen interest in mounting a more stable version of Phocus on my PC. Please keep that PC release coming.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Tell, the truth, I have no interest in using Phocus with other camera formats. There are better tools for that. However, I have a keen interest in mounting a more stable version of Phocus on my PC. Please keep that PC release coming.
I could not see how this PC release would be coming because Phocus 2.5 bases on the RAW profiles inside OSX. There is nothing like that on a Windows machine. So making it work on a PC would mean that Hasselblad has to really integrate all the supported RAW profiles in Phocus (kind of a middleware), which is really time consuming.

cunim

I could not see how this PC release would be coming because Phocus 2.5 bases on the RAW profiles inside OSX. There is nothing like that on a Windows machine. So making it work on a PC would mean that Hasselblad has to really integrate all the supported RAW profiles in Phocus (kind of a middleware), which is really time consuming.
Actually, I am using a beta of PC2.5. There are some issues but no reason the software can't progress to release, without the multicamera support. I am very pleased to see Hasselblad continuing to improve Phocus, and like to remind them that some of us want stability prioritized.