The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phocus 2.5 Will process Canon/Nikon....

jotloob

Subscriber Member
If the RAW support is coming from OSX, does that mean that the conversions will look like those from Aperture? (not that that is a bad thing, just curious)

David

Is APERTURE V.2 or V.3 a prerequisite to go along with OSX 10.6.3 when you want to use PHOCUS 2.5 with other RAW files than 3FR ? ? ?

Jürgen

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Is APERTURE V.2 or V.3 a prerequisite to go along with OSX 10.6.3 when you want to use PHOCUS 2.5 with other RAW files than 3FR ? ? ?

Jürgen
It should not be a prerequisite, as the RAW converters are part of Mac OS and not Aperture. Also Aperture makes use of these function.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Still not supporting their own scanners? Not good.
Yes, it would be good if they would also support their scanners in Phocus, so one would not need to use Flexcolor for this job.

On the other side I am using my X5 less and less - maybe it will disappear once totally from my workflow. Maybe this is why they do not support in Phocus, because there is not enough demand.

Stuart Richardson

I think the market for the X5 is less in individual photographers than in institutions and labs. I use mine almost everyday, and scanning makes up a large proportion of my jobs. Most of the other places I know here that have Hasselblad or Imacon scanners are either labs or museums. Anyway, I do not want to drag the thread down this path, but I am very sad that Hasselblad has again decided to expand the abilities of phocus substantially while leaving the scanners out of the mix. FlexColor is very outdated, still buggy after years of development (you can't even turn off the scanner while the program is still open or the whole program will freeze), and there are just so many things that could make scanning easier, many of which are incorporated into Phocus. It just does not make sense to me why they don't just roll the scanners into Phocus and give FlexColor the retirement it deserves...
Anyway, I have harped on this before, so I am not going to rail on about it any further in this thread.

vieri

I think the market for the X5 is less in individual photographers than in institutions and labs. I use mine almost everyday, and scanning makes up a large proportion of my jobs. Most of the other places I know here that have Hasselblad or Imacon scanners are either labs or museums. Anyway, I do not want to drag the thread down this path, but I am very sad that Hasselblad has again decided to expand the abilities of phocus substantially while leaving the scanners out of the mix. FlexColor is very outdated, still buggy after years of development (you can't even turn off the scanner while the program is still open or the whole program will freeze), and there are just so many things that could make scanning easier, many of which are incorporated into Phocus. It just does not make sense to me why they don't just roll the scanners into Phocus and give FlexColor the retirement it deserves...
Anyway, I have harped on this before, so I am not going to rail on about it any further in this thread.
+1. FlexColor is not really a great piece of software, to but it blandly... :cool: The X5 is a great machine, and deserves better. I know it probably doesn't make much sense from a user-base size point of view, but on the other hand one expects more from a manufacturer - especially after spending quite a few Kbucks in a product... :rolleyes:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
It should not be a prerequisite, as the RAW converters are part of Mac OS and not Aperture. Also Aperture makes use of these function.
OK . Thank you for your answer . Sounds logical .
I will cancel my APERTURE V.3 order then .

Jürgen

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I hope PHOCUS 2.5 can work with tethered 35mm DSLR like C1pro... for pro users...
below is the Press Release:
[...]
"Tethered capture is not supported."
Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well, I would also prefer to get my X5 supported by Phocus, just to be able to use then 1 post processing SW for everything. You are right that for the amount the X5 costs it needs to get better support!

MartinE

Link has been removed. Most of the video was about keyword transfer from other apps. Also new feature to place RGB values on the image at any location. Next was printing full image and then other third party input support. Regards Martin

yaya

A word of caution for Leaf shooters; Files from Leaf Aptus-II 5, 8 and 10 are not supported as the software produces either Magenta or Black previews (when it doesn't crash or freeze, that is...).

Yair

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Downloaded Phocus 2.5 and had a little time to play with it this afternoon.

The following are Leica M8.2 files processed from DNG in Phocus then imported to ACR...Phocus seems to lack noise reduction and certain elements like recovery for highlights.

I assume that the Apple OSX connection limits functionality for the raw conversion....?

All of these were with Nokton 50 no UVIR ( re-acquiring off sizes ) so the colors are a little off...ISO 320 or 640

One

Two

Three

Four

Finally

So it works as advertised but may be somewhat limiting at the present time...

Bob

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Phocus seems to lack noise reduction and certain elements like recovery for highlights.

I assume that the Apple OSX connection limits functionality for the raw conversion....?

So it works as advertised but may be somewhat limiting at the present time...
From the Release Notes concerning 3rd Party File Support:
Some tools are disabled mostly due to the fact that we don't have full access to the raw Bayer data. These include highlight recovery, shadow fill, clarity, lens corrections, noise reduction and scene calibration.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
From the Release Notes concerning 3rd Party File Support:
Some tools are disabled mostly due to the fact that we don't have full access to the raw Bayer data. These include highlight recovery, shadow fill, clarity, lens corrections, noise reduction and scene calibration.
All the important stuff!:ROTFL:

Bob