The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sinar Hy6 - Sinarback eMotion 75 / Views with 45° Prismfinder

T

thsinar

hi All,

and here some views of the Sinar Hy6 camera, with the eMotion 75 back and the 45° prism finder, taken under different angles.
These images also show the revolving adapter, with the back taken at different rotation angles.

Please note also the display, which has been shot purposely with the sun hitting the screen (brightness of the screen is set to 3 from a scale of 5).

Best regards,
Thierry

FYI: all images shot with my Lumix

Last edited:

Rethmeier

Thanks for the pics Thierry,
I have a question for you.
I currently have the 90% viewer on order,did you have an opportunity to compare both?
Regards,
Willem.

T

thsinar

hi Willem,

I did handle the 90° finder prototype, a few months back, but I can't compare both side by side. However, what I have in remembrance is that the 90° finder is as bright as the 45° prism.

Best regards,
Thierry

Thanks for the pics Thierry,
I have a question for you.
I currently have the 90% viewer on order,did you have an opportunity to compare both?
Regards,
Willem.

Rethmeier

Thierry,
So it should.
It's a mirror box design(Correct?)
The 45% prism should be redesigned to look like it belongs to the Hy6.
It's clearly a 6008 prism to fit on the Hy6,Afi,Rollei.
Maybe an over reaction, but to me,being Dutch,design is very important.
N.B I like the shots in your office you told me about in Bangkok.
Regards,
Willem.

T

thsinar

Yes, Willem, mirror design.

I do agree, that the 45° finder could be re-designed, but it was this or nothing!
Actually, that's the nice part as well, that 6008 parts do fit also the Hy6, and some with a little adaption.

Best regards,
Thierry

Thierry,
So it should.
It's a mirror box design(Correct?)
The 45% prism should be redesigned to look like it belongs to the Hy6.
It's clearly a 6008 prism to fit on the Hy6,Afi,Rollei.
Maybe an over reaction, but to me,being Dutch,design is very important.
N.B I like the shots in your office you told me about in Bangkok.
Regards,
Willem.

gogopix

Subscriber
I think these images give a very good idea of the overall design of the Hy6,

but handling is different story

that I need to do!

PSon

The best combinations are a waist level finder, a square format medium format camera with the left side horse shoe for flash in compact situation without ever need another L-bracket and a rotating adapter for the rectangular digital back. The Sinar/Leaf Hy6 and Mamiya RZ67 systems give us exactly these combinations. I now also shoot with the Mamiya RZ67 and prefer it over the Mamiya 645 AFD system. I own the Mamiya AFD system due to one reason, the 2.8/300 Apo. Thanks for the illustration.

Best Regards,
-Son

Last edited:

BJNY

The best combinations are a waist level finder, a square format medium format camera with the left side horse shoe for flash in compact situation......
For your use, no doubt
but I can assure that editorial, fashion and advertising photographers
are likely to choose differently.

Last edited:

PSon

To further comment:

Mamiya RZ67 system solved the issue of rotating back all the way back in the film day. Today we see for the first time a square format camera in 6x6 format size finally built a rotating back for their rectangular sensor. In the film the day a square 6x6 format camera have a square film size 6x6 thus there was no need for a rotating back. However, Mamiya RZ and RB67 systems are also square format cameras but due to the size of the film (120/220) they were forced to build the rotating film magazine. It is this very reason, I do not understand why Phase One digital back will mount their back on the Rollei 6008 system but only in the landscape mode. It is the theme that one must see and history is the evidence. I hope to see progress in the Phase One back as well for those that have been loyal client.

Best Regards,
-Son

T

thsinar

yes, of course!

Sorry for my mind thinking about the 90° when I wrote about the 45.

Billy: thanks for the correction.

Thierry

No,
45º is a prism finder
whereas 90º is mirror (porro) finder

PSon

For your use, no doubt
but I can assure that editorial, fashion and advertising photographers
are likely choose differently.
I look for flexibility, dynamic and not limitation in my system. The features mentioned above are just the unique of the systems.

Best Regards,
-Son

David Klepacki

Here's a physical comparison of the 80mm lenses.
I like Hasselblad's placement (further forward) of their manual focusing rings.
Fashion and editorial photography requires a fair amount of hand-held use. When hand-holding the camera, the farther away the manual focusing ring from the center of gravity means having to move your left hand away from its most effective position in terms of stability (closest to center of gravity). In fact, if your left hand does not remain under the body when focusing, this will introduce a torque on your hight hand, which will accelerate fatigue.

I find the lenses for the Hy6 to be perfectly balanced. Their focusing rings are close to the body, allowing me to stabilize the camera much easier when manually focusing, and allow me to shoot comfortably for longer periods. The situation is true regardless of choosing a waist level finder or eye level finder for the Hy6.