The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's a used MFDB really worth?

kdphotography

Ken: you always bug me :).
Thanks, Doug!

I hope you don't mind---I put your profile picture up on that Match.com site...

:ROTFL:

I'll have to bug you guys over at Capture Integration on the new Schneider LS lenses..... *ouch* Looking for the 110mm. Jack probably won't be sharing much once he acquires the Schneider 55-80-110 "holy trinity." ;)

ken

fotografz

Supply and demand is always a factor. I've seen the market value of the old Kodak Probacks move up and down over the years from 2K to over 5K.

I'd still be a bit antsy about spending several thousand on a MFDB, and not really knowing "what's inside the box." I really don't like buying used, but at least buying from Capture Integration means some peace of mind, and being able to bug Doug Peterson if I need help/support. Or bugging him even if I don't need help.... :D
One of the things that can affect pricing on the Kodak Pro backs is whether there is a bunch of good batteries with it. The batteries are proprietary and were very hard to find even 2 years ago.

Which is yet another reason to go with a dealer with a good reputation on this stuff ... full information when buying.

-Marc

kdphotography

One of the things that can affect pricing on the Kodak Pro backs is whether there is a bunch of good batteries with it. The batteries are proprietary and were very hard to find even 2 years ago.

Which is yet another reason to go with a dealer with a good reputation on this stuff ... full information when buying.

-Marc
One trick that can work with the Kodak Probacks if you don't have the Kodak Li-ion batteries----there is a powercord that is available from Quantum, so you can power the Proback with a Quantum Turbo battery, or the newer Turbo SC.

f8orbust

Nope.
The P45 back I was offered by Calumet was not via ebay, it was over the store counter , pay your £3,600 and off you go, (3 month warranty).
Hmm...not much in the way of comment on that one. Maybe it's because it doesn't fit into the 'cheapdealsareonlydoneonebayandyou'llprobablygetrippedoff' scheme of things - surely not?

There goes a Leaf Aptus 75S, Mamiya 645 AFD, 120mm macro Mamiya lens, 80mm Mamiya lens, 45mm Mamiya lens, Polaroid back and Pelican case for $7k.

And there goes a Phase One P30+ for Hasselblad H from Calumet for $4.5k.

kdphotography

Hmm...not much in the way of comment on that one. Maybe it's because it doesn't fit into the 'cheapdealsareonlydoneonebayandyou'llprobablygetrippedoff' scheme of things - surely not?

There goes a Leaf Aptus 75S, Mamiya 645 AFD, 120mm macro Mamiya lens, 80mm Mamiya lens, 45mm Mamiya lens, Polaroid back and Pelican case for $7k.

And there goes a Phase One P30+ for Hasselblad H from Calumet for $4.5k.
Looks like some skimping on the camera platform from your cites above. Big difference, as in HUGE between a 645AFD and the 645DF. (try three generations difference). Same goes for the H platform. But regardless, market values do fluctuate for whatever reason----and deals are always out there to be had. If you're familiar with the MFDB, it's condition/history, and what you want, it's a great time to get into medium format digital.

The problem here at GetDPI is that everyone in this forum has already just bought new MFDBs. Apparently there is no market for those backs you're talking about here, because those deals you see are our old backs we just unloaded.... :ROTFL:

stephengilbert

Excuse me, but :deadhorse: The OP asked about prices.

The question was answered by various people. I don't get the need to argue with people who you think are wrong. If backs are really cheap, then buy one. If they're too much, then wait, or buy something else. If the people here don't know what they're talking about, ask someone else.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The problem here at GetDPI is that everyone in this forum has already just bought new MFDBs. Apparently there is no market for those backs you're talking about here, because those deals you see are our old backs we just unloaded.... :ROTFL:
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL: Good one Ken --- we created an almost instant LACK of demand and the resultant price plunge!

Also, I think Stephen's point is right on too ;)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Exactly. And even though he says "Bring cash!" suggest you want to inspect it first ;)

f8orbust

So what have I learnt from my original posting ... other than to avoid ebay user 'welovepictures' :thumbdown: offering anything for sale?

Well, if you're not buying new, and are looking to move into MF and buy a fairly recent back (i.e. something not running on steam attached to a PC running Windows ME) then your best way to get a fantastic $ deal is still probably eBay, from a reputable seller or a private deal on one of the more reputable forums (getdpi/LL etc.) You can probably save anywhere up to 50% on the same equipment offered by a dealer. From looking around the best deals are usually on Leaf and Hasselblad backs.

However, there are occasionally equally great deals to be had from reputable dealers - but the price can vary wildly. e.g. as mentioned above Calumet can sell a used P45 for under $5.5k (inc. tax), while other dealers want $11.5k (plus tax?). That's a BIG difference. Calumet will also sell you a P30+ for $4.5k which is a darn good deal as well. A less popular fitting (Hasselblad V etc.) is probably your path to get the best price, which may not suit all.

f8orbust

No affiliation with Digital Transitions whatsoever, but they're having a clearout and thought the info. may be of use to anyone looking to buy a MFDB through a dealer:

kdphotography

Great deal if you can jump fast enough.

Read the fine print: "This item is being advertised through other channels in addition to eBay. Please contact us to confirm availability before purchasing this item.

This Phase One 645 Digital Camera System w/ P65+ Back is a gently handled store demo unit in excellent condition. It includes the manufacturer's warranty. There are a few faint scuffs on the body and handle, but the lens and sensor are like new."
[emphasis added]

In other words, only one demo model available. If it wasn't Calumet, I'd call it bait-and-switch. Great deal for a demo----they state their regular retail price is $45K+ for this system, which I think is high.

H3dtogo

I think it is over with MFDB. Trying to sell my great H3dII-39Mp MS version, multishot it is, for about 13000 euro. But no one even asks for it. This still is one of the best studio and reproduction camera's ever made, less than 5000 shots taken... but no interest, not even someone who offers 1500 euro :-((

fotografz

I think it is over with MFDB. Trying to sell my great H3dII-39Mp MS version, multishot it is, for about 13000 euro. But no one even asks for it. This still is one of the best studio and reproduction camera's ever made, less than 5000 shots taken... but no interest, not even someone who offers 1500 euro :-((
You have to get it in front of the right people at the right time. That is a pretty special camera ... valuable to studio shooters especially. Most people here are landscape and people photographers.

I would have gone for your camera two months ago when I bought a CF/39 Multi-Shot on a H2F camera for my studio based work. I use a H4D/40 for mobile and people type work.

-Marc