The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's a used MFDB really worth?

H3dtogo

But still.... also cheap stuff such as a pro back, wich is a great back for daily use at 100 to 200 ISO does not sell. I had to shoot (not voluntarely) a lot of my pro work using 384 and a pro back last year and was impressed by its image quality. I even bought an extra proback for my mamiya, besides of the two i already had for Hasselblad-H. I also have a Cambo wide RS for sale, same thing, not even a sign of interest in that camera... and it goes on and on like that.

vieri

I think it is over with MFDB. Trying to sell my great H3dII-39Mp MS version, multishot it is, for about 13000 euro. But no one even asks for it. This still is one of the best studio and reproduction camera's ever made, less than 5000 shots taken... but no interest, not even someone who offers 1500 euro :-((
I'll take it for 1500 euro! :ROTFL:

H3dtogo

Hi Vieri, I have a prism finder, new in box that fits any H1/H2 camera, you can have two for 1500 euro. It is not a H3d but a great way to start collecting bits and pieces for a great set.:ROTFL::thumbup::deadhorse::grin::ROTFL:

vieri

Hi Vieri, I have a prism finder, new in box that fits any H1/H2 camera, you can have two for 1500 euro. It is not a H3d but a great way to start collecting bits and pieces for a great set.:ROTFL::thumbup::deadhorse::grin::ROTFL:
Thank you very much, that's very generous and thoughtful indeed but... I liked the other one better! :ROTFL::ROTFL::deadhorse::ROTFL::ROTFL:

yaya

AAn 18 month old P65+ was sold yesterday on ebay for less than £9.5K

Mind you the seller has managed to sell the same P40+ TWICE in the past, so I would not count on this deal being legit or anything (seller also ignored emails querying about the serial number...)

H3dtogo

That is the same person as mentioned above. Sells in UK and Germany, located in Germany but sometimes in the UK.............

fotografz

(The interest is there) Even certified gear sluts on this board run out of money....

:)
LOL! BINGO!

Most pro photographers I know are making due with what they have. You get really pragmatic about incremental improvements that cost 5 figure$ more than your current gear .... existing gear with performance that most people haven't even maxed out yet.

Oddly, it wasn't MFD that broke my piggy bank ... it was a total revamp of my Leica M kit with a brace of M9s and all the super optics that cost more than most any MFD lens .. except maybe Leica MF S2 glass :D

GAS has been replaced by GSA ... Gear Sluts Anonymous. :ROTFL:

-Marc

PeterA

Camera gear pricing is weird and buying used from countries whose currency versus US fluctuates wildly can be an interesting hobby. I am sure I have raised a few eyebrows with the amount of gear I have purchased from forum members on GETDPI - I think I am net up around 20% on the balance of transactions over a couple of years lets say enough to pay for umm a anything selling from Hasselblad or Phase today at retail ..buying and selling camera gear is just another trade - you either know whats up or you dont..

One thing for sure - no one who has forked out a lot of cashola for gear - ever ever ever criticises it much - well not whilst owning it ...
:ROTFL::ROTFL:

thats why dispassionate traders who actually dont give a rats ...arent popular when they speak the plain trut about the gear BS - vested interests an all that -:)

what is any piece of second hand gear worth?

It all depends - but I cant see much practical difference between the so called top megapixel versions of today with the top megapixel versions of a year or two ago..

then again I don't print larger than 2x4' or 3x4'...and I dont wanna play ( yet) in 60 megapixel land - lets wait for teh 100 megapixel new fagled must have crapola to come out..

then I'll think about a 1000 shot used crapola 60 megapixel back for 20 cents in the dollar..

get my drift?

fotografz

Camera gear pricing is weird and buying used from countries whose currency versus US fluctuates wildly can be an interesting hobby. I am sure I have raised a few eyebrows with the amount of gear I have purchased from forum members on GETDPI - I think I am net up around 20% on the balance of transactions over a couple of years lets say enough to pay for umm a anything selling from Hasselblad or Phase today at retail ..buying and selling camera gear is just another trade - you either know whats up or you dont..

One thing for sure - no one who has forked out a lot of cashola for gear - ever ever ever criticises it much - well not whilst owning it ...
:ROTFL::ROTFL:

thats why dispassionate traders who actually dont give a rats ...arent popular when they speak the plain trut about the gear BS - vested interests an all that -:)

what is any piece of second hand gear worth?

It all depends - but I cant see much practical difference between the so called top megapixel versions of today with the top megapixel versions of a year or two ago..

then again I don't print larger than 2x4' or 3x4'...and I dont wanna play ( yet) in 60 megapixel land - lets wait for teh 100 megapixel new fagled must have crapola to come out..

then I'll think about a 1000 shot used crapola 60 megapixel back for 20 cents in the dollar..

get my drift?
Drift gotten.

Don't know about 20¢ on the dollar Peter ... 50¢ on the dollar is bad enough when we're talking $30. to $15K at rocket sled speed. ... but point well taken. I pity those that buy new and can't write it off ... big difference between business and pleasure ... depreciation softens the blow.

I also think that other innovations come into play depending on your end purpose. For me, it was worth $3.5K more to go from the H3D-II/39 to the H4D/40 because of the True Focus and better high ISO performance when shooting candids hand-held on the fly. Otherwise what's the point? I passed on the H3D-II/50 meg over the H3D-II/39 meg because the camera was exactly the same.

NO ONE critiques their current gear because those looking to competitively justify their own choices will jump on it like a Black Bird on a June bug ... :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL: It's just human nature.

-Marc

Audii-Dudii

As another datapoint, I won an eBay auction yesterday for a P30+ Hassy H-mount version with a factory warranty good through 8/30/10, and my winning bid was $5,101.99. The seller was Calumet and the back came out of their rental fleet. The number of activations was higher than I would have preferred, but I'm a low-volume photographer (no doubt a result of my large-format background and mentality) and I don't expect to pile them on too rapidly from here, so I decided to take the gamble.

I don't know whether this establishes a new market price or not, but this now makes two recent P30+ sales from Calumet for $5,100 or less... :-/

Dale Allyn

Congrats on your purchase of a MFDB.

From my (limited) perspective, as I read the boards, look at dealer lists, and scan eBay occasionally, it appears that there are at least two tiers of used backs. There are pampered kits, low actuations, maybe some warranty, no dings, etc. which sell for a premium; and there are vigorously used (though functionally fine) kits that are being upgraded by pros or rotated out of rental programs, etc. This is pretty normal in other types of gear as well.

In my opinion, the high actuation counts is mostly immaterial, since there are few moving parts, other than indicating the number of times in and out of a bag, possible button condition, etc. Still, my personal preference is for new or low-use gear.

It does appear to me that one can find some great deals for somewhat heavily used backs (which should still mostly perform fine), but like autos and other things, condition, warranty, service, etc. should be factored in – and is typically a personal matter as to how much weight it carries in terms of value.

f8orbust

The asking price of a used IQ180 with VAW seems to be around the ~$16.5k mark - here's one, and here's another one...

...which basically means that anyone who buys one new for ~$43k loses >$26k as soon as they hand over their money - i.e. an instant 60% depreciation ! :wtf:

Does anybody have Henrik Håkonsson's cell phone number ? If so, can you give him a call and let him know the economic realities of planet earth in 2015.

drevil

Staff member
phase one runs the same scheme as apple,
they bring out a new product and though in the time of a year production of an item gets more and more cheap, the retail price remains the same.

but the thing is, the iq180....is still a 80mp back, pretty neat. if the price is justified depends on you, but i definetely would choose the iq280 if i had the money :D // even though its also overpriced

OliverM

I bought a guaranteed refurb P65+ C mount with 1000 shots for 12500 euros by a PhaseOne dealer and sold it for 9500 euros 1 year later with 2500 shots and cosmetics still perfect. I needed cash. That's 2 euros per shot.
I bought a sinar 54 lv for 4500 euros that I stll have. Made 3000 shots in 4 years. Would sell maybe for 2500 euros. That's 66 cents per shot.
Per Mpixel it's the same 3 cents ;-)

I made 10000 pictures with my Canon 5d2 that I sold 4 years later 2000 euros less than what I paid. That's 20 cents per shot.
But maybe 1 euro per decent shot as with dslr I was shooting too many times the same subject and I don't like much the colors. So dslr is a bit more expensive than MFDB.

I made 200 pictures with a sigma DP2m that I don't like much, on which I would loose 400 euros. That's 2 euros per shot, same as P65 ! So MFDB is not more expensive as compact cameras !

Last week during holidays, I only used my business iphone 6 xl. Made 20 nice pictures for free. This is the game changer for sure.

;-)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The asking price of a used IQ180 with VAW seems to be around the ~$16.5k mark - here's one, and here's another one...

...which basically means that anyone who buys one new for ~$43k loses >$26k as soon as they hand over their money - i.e. an instant 60% depreciation ! :wtf:

Does anybody have Henrik Håkonsson's cell phone number ? If so, can you give him a call and let him know the economic realities of planet earth in 2015.
A new IQ180 is technically $38k, but, speaking as a P1 dealer I'd make sure you were aware of alternatives before you bought a new IQ180, at least not without first presenting the better alternatives: new IQ280 for a bit more, or a Credo 80 or a refurbished IQ180 for a lot less.

In 2014 we sold quite a few refurbished IQ180s, with full warranty, brand-new accessories, full dealer support, and availability to purchase via a 0% lease if desired. The price has varied across that year and depends somewhat on condition, mount, and what else we're bundling in, but is in no case anywhere remotely near $43k.

We're also still doing a lot of upgrades from backs like the P45+ or P65+ to the IQ180. Such upgrades are very favorable compared to selling the P+ back and buying an IQ180 used, and has none of the hassle/risk of private sales.

I'd expect the same for 2015.

Last edited:

malmac

I purchased an IQ180 when they first were released which I still have and use - I have about 18,000 images taken to date -

Yes the price was crazy, however the images set a new standard of excellence which makes it hard to backtrack.

It is true that if I was a Nikon user (I have Canon) I would certainly buy a D800 and see how that performed - but I think I will just keep using the IQ180 until it stops working and then put it on the shelf as a reminder of how easy it is to spend a lot of money on photography.

Mal
Australia

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I purchased an IQ180 when they first were released which I still have and use - I have about 18,000 images taken to date -

Yes the price was crazy, however the images set a new standard of excellence which makes it hard to backtrack.
[...] I think I will just keep using the IQ180 until it stops working
I suspect you'll be using it for a long time then :).

gerald.d

When a Phase One dealer openly admits that it makes little sense to purchase a new IQ180, that only serves to validate the issue being raised.