The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's a used MFDB really worth?

f8orbust

A new IQ180 is technically $38k...
Ok, only 57%* depreciation as you walk out the door.

50% ? 58%? 60% ? Whatever - these numbers reveal a serious disconnect some place; if I were in the business of making and selling this type of gear I'd want to know (quickly) why that is.

Jim

*I might have gotten the price right if I could find a price online. Still amazes me how difficult this is. A prize of a new IQ180 or $17k in cash to anyone who can (tip: take the money). Of course, I could pick up the phone - but that's soooo last century.

torger

Finding the price here in Sweden is easy, I see here on the webshop that it's 268700 SEK +VAT for a new IQ180, which corresponds to $33.4k. Oh... there's a "put in basket" button too!

f8orbust

Finding the price here in Sweden is easy, I see here on the webshop that it's 268700 SEK +VAT for a new IQ180, which corresponds to $33.4k. Oh... there's a "put in basket" button too!
That's the progressiveness of Sweden for you. And you're good at hockey. And soccer. Sheesh.

Meantime we get stuck with 'call for pricing' and a button labeled 'contact us'. Personally, I think a 'haggle' button would be more appropriate.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
*I might have gotten the price right if I could find a price online. Still amazes me how difficult this is. A prize of a new IQ180 or $17k in cash to anyone who can (tip: take the money). Of course, I could pick up the phone - but that's soooo last century.
Feel free to tweet at us, Facebook Message us, comment on our Instagram, email us, text my cell phone, or woof at us. Or ask on GetDPI or Luminous Landscape - I appear like batman when you put up the forum signal.

Or of course, you can call :).

Or go old school and fax us - though, that gets converted into an email, and then directed to the appropriate person via Slack.

WWLEE

Lots of discussion here on prices as well as challenges from the standpoint of a buyer regarding potential scams buying on ebay. I'd love to get some recommendations on where a seller should go to sell a good quality MFDB. I love my IQ180 and related gear (body, lenses, etc.) but don't use it much due to work, so have been considering selling it. Not sure how to go about it though without resorting to eBay. Any recommendations?

Also not sure what prices to ask in hopes of setting a fair market price for buyer and seller (me).

torger

Do look at the for sale section here and at luminous landscape and try to find past prices. It's also possible to look for past prices on ebay. Looking at several sources you should get a good estimate of what it's worth.

I haven't bought and sold as high end backs as an IQ180, but at least for midrange backs my experience from the getdpi and lula forums is that things are sold at the "right" price, ie fair for both seller and buyer, as these forums have very well-informed buyers and sellers and people care about their reputation.

Jamgolf

Lots of discussion here on prices as well as challenges from the standpoint of a buyer regarding potential scams buying on ebay. I'd love to get some recommendations on where a seller should go to sell a good quality MFDB. I love my IQ180 and related gear (body, lenses, etc.) but don't use it much due to work, so have been considering selling it. Not sure how to go about it though without resorting to eBay. Any recommendations?

Also not sure what prices to ask in hopes of setting a fair market price for buyer and seller (me).
For any seller, I think the most important factor is setting the right asking price. In my opinion, for digital-backs this is very very tricky. Relatively low sales volumes and non-disclosure of recent final sale prices makes it hard to establish a true-market-value.

It also does not help that digital-backs have very high original prices and sellers have a very tough time determining the true extent of depreciation. Its a losing battle against constant technological updates whenever a higher mega-pixel back arrives, or a new CMOS back, or a newer back that has better usability, or some other feature. As someone who has very recently bought a pre-owned Credo 60, I have keenly observed prices and have noticed the prices to be trending lower, rather steeply.

I have bought and sold lots of photography equipment on eBay as well as various photography forums. I feel both avenues are viable. The key is price - any item sells if it is priced well, whether that is on eBay or a forum.