The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase P21/P21+ Moire?

RayM

As I continue to read whatever I can find on real world use of the Phase P21 and P21+, it looks like I will ultimately choose one of these units for my Contax 645. I am also finding that some writers out there note that these units have problems with moire. For those of you who have used these backs, would you please share your own experience with moire or other problems/challenges with these backs? Thank you.

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Ray,
What is the subject matter that you shoot most? I can speak from experience on the PhaseOne equipment that there is very little occurrence of moire from the files produced from their backs and used in conjunction with Capture One.
If there is an occurrence of moire you can use the moire tool right within Capture One to remove the moire from the RAW file. This tool creates a moire mask and can then be applied while shooting similar type fabrics or batch applied to multiple raw files as a batch.
I will post in a little bit a some sample screen shots of the tool working if you are not familiar with its operation.
Also if you have a sample piece of fabric that you have found to be a particular problem with your existing work-flow we would be more than happy to capture it for you with the back of your choice and send you the raws to play with.
Keep an eye out for the samples, just need to jump over to my demo system here.
Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
Capture Integration
[email protected]

RayM

Hi Lance, thank you. I do a lot of nature work and some architectural work. Lots of my work focuses on detail and pattern. When you get a moment, you're welcome to take a look at the kind of work I do at: http://www.two-hawks.com . I currently shoot with a Canon 1Ds2 and a Leica M8. To date, I have been using LightRoom and Photoshop for processing with very good results. I've used C1, but I prefer LR.

I have only had a few problems with moire on the 1Ds2, and more frequently with the M8, due, I suspect to the M8 not having an AA filter. Most of the time, the moire goes away or is lessened in final prints. My intent is to continue with the kind of work I do and to add portraiture services (which is my primary concern about moire related to clothing).

Here's a link to an article that references experience with the P20+, not the P21 or P21+: http://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/free/PhaseOneP20+/index.html

Thank you.

lance_schad

Workshop Member

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Lance - thank you for all the information. Is the Moire Removal Tool only available in the MAC version? I am running Capture One Pro ver. 3.7.8.231 on Windows and am not aware of the presence of this tool.

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Lance - thank you for all the information. Is the Moire Removal Tool only available in the MAC version? I am running Capture One Pro ver. 3.7.8.231 on Windows and am not aware of the presence of this tool.
Yes it is one of the mac only tools. you can use the plug in for Photoshop though.
I believe that the Pro version of 4.0 will address all of these differences between the platforms.

L