The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya ZD road test. Wow

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
That's why I was serious when I called him the master of all things photographic. He thought I had been offended by something he said but I was dead serious.

I am going out this evening to take first images from my CWD. In the meantime I am boning up on Phocus so I can process. I have the 50, 80,120 lenses with a 40 and 180 soon to come. i am so excited!!!!!!

Woody
Congrats Woody, can't wait to see some of your images! (And glad I hadn't offended you :thumbup:)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The 35mm is a must lens for this camera . One thing is you can focus as close as 8 inches and wide open it has pretty nice bokeh

robertwright

I am pretty sure you are diffraction limited at f11 on that rig. I say this only from experience with phase and leaf backs in studio on the 645. It is splitting hairs but f16, f22, all get softer.

Sometimes you need the depth of field and that is more important obviously.

Guy Mancuso

I am pretty sure you are diffraction limited at f11 on that rig. I say this only from experience with phase and leaf backs in studio on the 645. It is splitting hairs but f16, f22, all get softer.

Sometimes you need the depth of field and that is more important obviously.
Yea Robert i was very concerned about that early this morning how the MF lenses handle it. i was thinking F11 is probably there sweet spot. leica M glass is in general like 5.6 or even F4 there optimum. But i had a feeling this morning F22 is too much. I only had a polarizer with me but I really need a neutral density filter. But i was trying to catch DOF but some I did not have too. Reason for getting out there and figuring this out before money is on the line. It's good i learned a few things and hopefully others will learn from it also. We have a lot of folks looking to jump in to MF on the forum. So this may help some. Oh BTW the very very early shots I shot at ISO 50. The rest ISO 200 and 100

Terry

Well you had a good day. Me, just jealous. Glad it is working out. I guess it will be my hand me down when you want to upgrade.:angel:

Guy Mancuso

Very nice hand me down my dear. i have to say i am pretty impressed and that is not easy to do. These files are loaded with detail that I have not seen in a long time like this. Actually credit goes to Jack for twisting my arm.

robmac

Love the DR and 'transparency' (best description- effect of being there vs. looking thru a window).

How do you find the VF on the Mamiya?

Guy Mancuso

Actually the best news after three weeks of killing myself to get my Mac pro to work correctly after Carmel is the real blessing. C1,LR and PS all seem to be running normal

Guy Mancuso

Love the DR and 'transparency' (best description- effect of being there vs. looking thru a window).

How do you find the VF on the Mamiya?

It's big and bright and very easy to focus with just the normal screen. I used manual almost all day for focusing. But i don't like the rectangle outside rubber eye cup . Rather have round

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Very nice Guy. One of the things I appreciate about you is not only your enthusiasm for equipment but your continued excitement about photography and how that excitement and enthusiasm drives you to get the gear to work for you in a meaningful way. It is also a pleasure to us on the forum that you enjoy sharing that insight with others. Good job, my friend, I have learned a lot.

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Graham yes it felt wider than 28mm. i would love to get the famed Mamiya 28mm someday. The 35mm is very nice but if you want sharp corners start at f8 it seems. It's a little soft above that but i think many are like that this wide. Even that nice Hassy 40mm i had traded needed to be around F8 . Now I am not sure about the modern wides from Hassy and Rollie