The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya ZD road test. Wow

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I guess i just need one of those Sinar backs Thierry , got a spare. LOL

I would love to have one believe me

Guy Mancuso

Well I got some head shots in a couple hours . Let's see what it does in the studio.

I might try a ISO test

Anders_HK

Effectively difficult to tell here with this JPG: the noise in the shadows seems little, but what takes my attention is the greenish colour on the right side of the Buddah, as well as possibly some CA in the bottom of the crop, in the flowers.

There is also some moiré in the head details.

Thierry
Mmm. Let me jump in with some comments;

Tonight, out of my own curiousity, I reviewed all ZD photos in this thread in darkness, thus so I had no glare at all in my computer screen to distract. The exact image caught my eye happens to be same as Thierry, and with same area. However, to my eye it looks like some purplish there, similar to the problem I pointed out in the LL landscape thread.

Readers of LL may realize I start sounding like Snook did before over there, and who seeming saw purple whenever ZD was mentioned. I am not happy to admit, but he frank was right at least at that time.

Some more observations;

Near all photos posted are shot in strong California / Arizona light. I also note that most are shot in seeming mid day light. Who shoots serious photography in such light??? Well, the ZD is hungry for light, as in light intensities. Thus you play in the favour of the ZD, and rather safe away from its limiting shortcomings.

Well this does it for me. THIS is the reason you shoot MF backs. Look inside those shadows. The DR is amazing . This is hot AZ sun and it's killer bright and to get details underneath the overhang is like pulling teeth. More a test shot. i am not after art here just what it does
Mmm. This is what I mean... the light intensity is still rather high in those shadows, is it not? Yes, difference in intensity to bright areas, but I speak of the actual amount of light also reaching shadows. Remember, the ZD is light hungry.

Most photos are also reduced from full size, which makes difficult to see any misstakes in ZD. And, do bear in mind that it takes training ones eye to see what I point out at first, it did so also to me, but when found it clear is visible also in prints. This was why I looked at my computer screen in pitch darkness tonight.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are using C1 to convert your raw files?

I am not convinced that ZD has had upgrades or improvements yet. What I mean by that is that the problem I pointed out in ZD back and ZD camera is possibly still there. However...

The shot of Jack's eye at 100%; It does not look fully sharp. Fair doze of noise reduction? Then not that different from my ZD was in that condition, when shot in much light intensity, such as from a bright day window. In low light was a different situation...

Thierry, it seems your eye is also very sensitive. Anything more you see with the images from ZD?

Regards
Anders

Guy Mancuso

There processed in LR and C1 . The latter images in C1 beta

All images are also shot in the morning after sunrise for all the area around Sedona

T

thsinar

hi Anders,

It seems that Billy's eye (BJNY) is "sensitive" too, since he asked to see more of this part (shadows).

Well, all I can say is that one can easily test the problems you mention, if they are here or not, by either taking a simple test-shot of a grey card and under-exposing it, then push the levels up. Or then take a grey scale.

Best regards,
Thierry

Thierry, it seems your eye is also very sensitive. Anything more you see with the images from ZD?

Guy Mancuso

Was in the studio shooting something so thought I would throw the M8 on the table. Just two lights ISO 100 at F14

Guy Mancuso

I used a 150mm with a small Mamiya Extender. Cheap macro . LOL

Look at that nice wear going on, you can see where my right thumb goes

Guy Mancuso

I shot my lenses actually . LOL Still keeping the M8
But i have to sell a few lenses which is not making me happy and still deciding what to do