The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad HC 28 vs CZ 40

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Shouldn't the test be done between a HC/35 and the V40?

A MF28 is a heck of a lot harder to correct than a 35 or 40.

In my controlled studio bench tests, the HC35 is the equal to my V40CFE @ f/8 ... so, I'm sure the 40IF would beat it ... and hopefully would at that price.
The HC 28 is very, very wide (the equivalent of a 20mm in 35mm terms) - it's a real engineering achievement at a reasonable price, all things considered. I consider the near absence of CA to be remarkable. For me the idea of the comparison was to have something to benchmark the 40 IF against.

The HC 28 was one of the reasons why I bought the H3 kit: the 28mm angle of view on a 36x48 sensor is roughly the same as the Hasselblad SWC on 60x60. The SWC was a favorite of mine from film days. I can't prove it with the gear I own but I suspect that the HC 28 + H3 combination outperforms the SWC on film. With a digital back the SWC would be substantially less wide than the 28 so the comparison wouldn't be fair.

Last edited:

woodyspedden

I just received my V 40 IF and am anxious to do some testing. If desired I can post results. Since the V lenses are adaptable to all the new Hassy's and many people have them it could be interesting. Although the 40 IF is an expensive lens I got a mint copy for $1K more than the non IF version was going for from the same retailer. Given long lasting investment I opted for the more expensive (and I hope superior) lens given that difference. I may get new bodies or backs into the future but I plan to shoot my own funeral with the V lenses! LOL

Woody

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
I just received my V 40 IF and am anxious to do some testing. If desired I can post results. Since the V lenses are adaptable to all the new Hassy's and many people have them it could be interesting. Although the 40 IF is an expensive lens I got a mint copy for $1K more than the non IF version was going for from the same retailer. Given long lasting investment I opted for the more expensive (and I hope superior) lens given that difference. I may get new bodies or backs into the future but I plan to shoot my own funeral with the V lenses! LOL

Woody
That's terrific - you can never have too many Woodys working on issues like these.

If you have other V lenses it would be great if you could post center and corner crops comparing with the 40 IF as a benchmark.

fotografz

Just in case anyone was wondering if the V40 IF was worth the money, here's a bench test of the HC/35 verses the V 40/CFE.

f/8, tripod, mirror up, cable release, steady lights, no subject movement. Everything exactly the same except just swapping lenses on a H3D-II/39.

Center: the resolving power is very close, but the V40CFE handled the extremely fine dot pattern in "Bal", where the HC/35 produced color Moiré.

Edge: no contest, the HC/35 kills the Zeiss.

Now, if I an get my hands on the 40IF version ... I'd like to test that against the HC/35 in this type of controlled conditions.

Last edited:

fotografz

why do you think the moire only shows up in the center crop?
Actually, it does show up in the smaller WhlBal card to the side ... it's just to small to see it ... and I didn't enlarge that part as huge.

Also, remember that the HC/35 has to be enlarged more to make it the same size as the V40 for comparison.

The center portion of both the lenses produces some Moire', but the HC/35 is more pronounced in the big enlargement.

Phocus has a powerful new anti Moire' correction tool ... which I applied to the HC/35 center image to demonstrate how well it works.

Attachment Image: Top is the Hasselblad/Zeiss V center blown up even more ... showing that there was some slight Moire' ... then the same HC/35 center that had more visable moire' ... but this time I applied the Phocus Moire' filter. Big difference.

Last edited:

fotografz

Is Phocus' Moiré filter creating the jaggies in the type?
Nope. Remember, I didn't move the tripod or the subject. That H35 file is enlarged more that the V40 to make them the same posting size ... because the H35 center image is smaller than the 40 to start with.

There is a limit on how far you can take even a 39 meg file : -)

This is about a 600% enlargement of the original 24"X18" 300dpi native file from the H3D-II/39 ... or the equivalent of a 288" X 216" image @ 150 dpi.
which is a 24 foot X 15.6 foot print.