The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

all hope has been abandoned ...

djonesii

Workshop Member
Dear forum guys/gals ....

I should have lashed myself to the mast.

After a great deal of reading, waiting, and general dithering about, I am now the proud owner of a Mamiya AFDII with a ZD back.

After only a few shots, its clear that everyone was spot on in their posts, it's way not a speed demon, focuses worse than my antique F100, and needs a ton of lux. In short, not a surprise in the above sentence. These are the prices that you pay for life on the cheap.

I am willing to make all the above sacrifices for the IQ! I mainly shoot figure nude studies in the studio, and I feel that this step up in IQ was a cheaper way to get it than a D3X! As near as I could tell, with the D3X, I would still need the D300 for somethings. ( Just like with the Mamiya ) This is my hobby, and I intentionally never try to make money from it, my day job is stressful enough, I don't need more on the weekends.

This is a portrait of my neighbors father, shot in his driveway with very little concern for the light

It looks to me like LR does not do well with moire, and I need to have a deeper look at that.

On the link below, I have some comparisons with my Nikon D300 w/ 18-200 and the ZD w/ 80mm, I know that this is a way not fair test, but it gives me a real feel what to expect when I get out the better lenses. I've done a few portraits with a very good copy of the Tamron 28-75, and my 55 1.2 AI'd conversion is a sweet lens on digital.

http://www.private.jonesii.net/2010%2005%2022%20Mamiya/index.html

Please feel free to have a look, and any comments are welcome.

Dave

Don Libby

Congratulations Dave

And so it begins. My first MF was a Mamiya AFD II and a Kodak back which turned into a P30+ then the AFD II turned into a AFDIII then the P30 turned into a P45+ while the AFDIII turned itself into a Cambo WRS. My suggestion is never feed your gear past midnight and never allow it to set in the dark! :eek:

Great image and welcome to the club!

Don

Double Negative

Not Available
Sweet, congrats! That setup in particular is probably one of the best deals going in MF right now. I almost made the leap a few times myself.

Capture One has some decent moiré handling, you might give that a shot.