The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ISO 800 - some Sinar eMotion 75 samples (2)

T

thsinar

ISO 800 - some Sinar eMotion 75 samples

Dear all,

on request of some, asking for images taken at ISO 800 with the Sinar eMotion 75, I have taken a shot this early morning, during sunrise.
The result is an image, at ISO 800, purposely under-exposed and chosen due to its high-contrast.

Shooting data:

- Camera: Sinar Hy6
- Lens: Zeiss Planar 110mm/f2
- ISO 800
- Aperture: f5.6
- Exposure: 1/40

In the following screenshots it does show first the image as shot, when the eXposure DNG is opened in ACR, WITHOUT grey balance, then opened in PS without any correction:

Pic 1

The next screenshot (Pic1') shows the image after a grey balance.

The next 3 screenshots show the entire image with its R, G & B channels (Pic 2, 3 & 4).

The next screenshots show 100% details of this image, with the respective R, G & B channels at 100% (Pic 5 to 16) = 3 different details (shadows, highlights & mid-tones).

The next image shows when opened in PS, AFTER corrections done in ACR (Pic "ISO800_ACR_Correct"), and opened in PS (Pic "ISO800_PS_Correct").

From this corrected image, the same 100% details are shown with their R, G & B channels (Pic 18 to 29).

Finally, the last image is a JPG finished file, to give an better idea than the attached screenshots.

Please note:

- I have had some "problems" 2 days ago, when posting my "Orchid" images. The images did not correspond exactly in terms of contrast and saturation, despite having tried with Adobe 98 and then with sRGB assigned. So I am not sure what the colors and the contrast/saturation will look like. I am not sure if a big difference will be seen between the grey-balanced image and the one not, etc ... in the screenshots attached.

- I can however provide the original files on request.

- I have to post this in different posts, being limited to 5 attachments each time.

Best regards,
Thierry

Last edited:
T

thsinar

ISO 800 - some Sinar eMotion 75 samples (3)

screenshots with detail 100% (1)

T

thsinar

ISO 800 - some Sinar eMotion 75 samples (4)

Details 100% (2)

T

thsinar

ISO 800 - some Sinar eMotion 75 samples (5)

Detail 100% (3)

T

thsinar

ISO 800 - some Sinar eMotion 75 samples (6)

Corrected Image: ACR settings and PS

T

thsinar

ISO 800 - some Sinar eMotion 75 samples (7)

Detail 100% Corrected Image (1)

T

thsinar

ISO 800 - some Sinar eMotion 75 samples (8)

Detail 100% Corrected Image (2)

T

thsinar

ISO 800 - some Sinar eMotion 75 samples (9)

Detail 100% Corrected Image (3)

T

thsinar

ISO 800 - some Sinar eMotion 75 samples (10)

Finally, here the corrected, sharpened image.

NB: it took me barely 1 hour to take out the camera, to shoot, to download, to analyze, process and prepare the different images.

The longest part was the uploading here.

.... and waking up at 6.00 am was like a nightmare!

:thumbdown:

I hope this will help to give an idea, of what is ISO 800 with an eMotion 75.

Best regards,
Thierry

PS: and as "feared", the JPG here does not match with the original (contrast/saturation)
---> see screenshot in tread N° 6 to see the real original corrected.

Last edited:

Rethmeier

Re: ISO 800 - some Sinar eMotion 75 samples (10)

Hi Thierry,
that is a very good 800 ASA,certainly less grain(noise) that Provia 400 + 1 would give.
Very encouraging.
Now we need a 30 second exposure at 800 ASA.
Can we arrange that as well?
Cheers,
Willem.
N.B I can't do it myself ,as my eMotion is in Switzerland for the larger TFT screen swap!

T

thsinar

I can (planed) to do this, but it will take a bit longer: am leaving tomorrow for a week on a business trip. And I have to find a nice night-scene.

Cheers too,
Thierry

Hi Thierry,
Now we need a 30 second exposure at 800 ASA.

Willem.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

That looks really good at ISO 800. I can't get near that with the ZD

T

thsinar

That's PERFECT, Guy, and I couldn't ask for more!

;)

Thank you,
Thierry

Thierry waiting for Jack to come alive here but we may put your posts together for you so you don't have to jump from each thread. Is that okay

T

thsinar

Thanks Guy and Jack!

Yes, the order would be important: starting with 1 at the top (to give people the opportunity to read the shooting conditions) down to 10.

that would be great.

BTW: I forgot to add one important shooting Data, the temperature (Gogopix reminded me in another post!): concerning noise this is very relevant. Unfortunately I cannot edit my post anymore to add it: any possibility? It was 31°C at 6.30 this morning.

Thanks
Thierry

Okay we will merge them up. Any order you would like to have them

T

thsinar

Re: ISO 800 - some Sinar eMotion 75 samples

Guy, that is perfect, that way. They are in the right order, that's the most important.

Thanks,
Thierry

Thierry i will use this as the base thread just tell me the order and will move them than delete posts like this so it flows better for you

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Thierry . Just so folks know i merged all of Thierry's post into one thread for ease of use . Please continue on and we will try to cleanup the redirected threads on the board when Jack comes on. I have a trigger finger and afraid i will just screw something up on that part on the admin page. Thanks Guy

T

thsinar

Don't you touch anything, with your finger, Guy!!!

:ROTFL:

Thanks and sorry for having given such a work, with all these posts, but I didn't want to just post a sample of an image without any explanation and as such, that tells nothing. That way all can see and understand the process.

Thierry

Thanks Thierry . Just so folks know i merged all of Thierry's post into one thread for ease of use . Please continue on and we will try to cleanup the redirected threads on the board when Jack comes on. I have a trigger finger and afraid i will just screw something up on that part on the admin page. Thanks Guy

Guy Mancuso

Next time you can make your first post with five images than do a new reply and repeat with 5 more. You can just keep going like that under the same thread until you wear yourself out.

Just a note of thanks also for this data . This is great stuff for us users to see and hopefully understand these backs better.

I do have a question and i would assume the other Sinar backs would perform like this as well.

Greg Seitz

Don't you touch anything, with your finger, Guy!!!

:ROTFL:

Thanks and sorry for having given such a work, with all these posts, but I didn't want to just post a sample of an image without any explanation and as such, that tells nothing. That way all can see and understand the process.

Thierry
Thanks Thierry, very useful information and appreciate all the effort.

One thing I noticed however is that even though you posted 100% crops, they really aren't 100% since they've been further reduced to 900 pixels wide from your larger resolution mac screen so they're probably closer to 50% crops in reality. It would be very useful if you could post the actual dng file so others could look more deeply into the files. If you don't have a way to directly host them you might want to check out http://www.mediafire.com/ since they provide free hosting without all the silly restrictions of something like yousendit.

Thanks,

Greg