The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ISO 800 - some Sinar eMotion 75 samples (2)

BJNY

Now,I would like to see, 30 seconds @ 800 ASA.
I originally asked for long exposure as well,
but I prefer seeing it at ISO 100.

Also would be curious to know
how soon after the 30 second exposure is the digital back ready to make another capture.
(Is there a wait for some sort of automatic black reference exposure to be made immediately afterwards?)

Lastly, will Thierry use the self-timer after locking up the mirror
since there are no electronic cable releases available, yet?
Or, can the triggering be via the computer when tethered?

Last edited:

LJL

I did not delete anything I hope.
Guy,
Please excuse any inference. I was certainly NOT accusing you of deleting anything. I was merely wondering if there could have been some unforeseen glitch, or whether the quote came from some other thread or something. Billy got us straightened out on it, so all is good :D

LJ

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
No No needed to know if I did by accident. Thanks

I did all this before the 1st cup of mud went down. LOL

Rethmeier

My question is,as I shoot a lot of dim lit area's,would I be better of using 800ASA,
to achieve a shorter exposure time,or keep it at 100ASA and expose 30 seconds or less.
Sometimes I find 30 seconds is not long enough!
Any body any idea's?
Cheers,
Willem.

T

thsinar

So, have checked in, waiting my flight now.

Your questions Billy:

- long exposure 30 sec.: will do, Billy, but not this week anymore, and probably not next as well.

- the waiting time is about the same as the exposure time for the black reference to be written: no secret in this.

- it can be triggered via eXposure, in Slave mode, of course.

Thierry

I originally asked for long exposure as well,
but I prefer seeing it at ISO 100.

Also would be curious to know
how soon after the 30 second exposure is the digital back ready to make another capture.
(Is there a wait for some sort of automatic black reference exposure to be made immediately afterwards?)

Lastly, will Thierry use the self-timer after locking up the mirror
since there are no electronic cable releases available, yet?
Or, can the triggering be via the computer when tethered?

T

thsinar

I used to have better result by using a lower ISO and longer exposure time, but that has to be checked with this new sensor board in the eMotion backs.

However: it also depends on the ambient temperature when your are shooting: my guess (but it's only a guess) is, that it will give a better result with ISO 800 at 4 sec. than at ISO 100 with 30 sec. WHEN the temperature is around or above 30°C. But I could be wrong.

Thierry

My question is,as I shoot a lot of dim lit area's,would I be better of using 800ASA,
to achieve a shorter exposure time,or keep it at 100ASA and expose 30 seconds or less.
Sometimes I find 30 seconds is not long enough!
Any body any idea's?
Cheers,
Willem.

A

asabet

I downloaded the RAW, and it is very impressive. I've frequently heard people say that one reason they shoot 35mm digital is because the larger formats have inadequate high ISO performance. This single file debunks that for me. Holds up well to pushing a full two stops in Raw Developer. Regards, Amin

Rethmeier

Hi Thierry,
I'll wait till I get my e-75 back back from Sinar.
It would be better to test for my own situations and find out that way.
Thanks for all the hard work and I'm glad I made the right choice with the Hy6 and the
second generation e-75LV.
It's best suited for my shooting style.
And for the hardcore wide,I'll whip the Alpa out!
Best,
Willem.

T

thsinar

You're welcome Willem!

Thierry

Hi Thierry,
I'll wait till I get my e-75 back back from Sinar.
It would be better to test for my own situations and find out that way.
Thanks for all the hard work and I'm glad I made the right choice with the Hy6 and the
second generation e-75LV.
It's best suited for my shooting style.
And for the hardcore wide,I'll whip the Alpa out!
Best,
Willem.

BJNY

Hmmm....Is anyone else unable to open Thierry's DNG in eXposure? :confused:
I downloaded the DNG several times, but can't get eXposure to even see it.

A

asabet

Thierry, would it be okay if I upload the full-size conversions done by Raw Developer (Mac only application) for others to download? Regards, Amin

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thierry is most likely on a plane at the moment. But I can't see why not the image is a test image for all to see anyway.

BJNY

Thierry is on the ground already,
and is probably being water-tortured to find out what Sinar has planned for Photokina.

A

asabet

Thanks Guy and BJNY.

Click here for 30MB file containing the 0, +1, and +2EV (ISO 800-3200 equivalent) full-res JPEGs converted in Raw Developer in a ZIP file along with a note explaining the processing settings.

Click here for an ISO 6400 equivalent (ISO 800 pushed to +3EV) file, noise reduced and downsized to match the diagonal dimension of the Nikon D3 files (along with a note explaining the processing settings.

I like using Raw Developer because it does a "straight", dcraw-like conversion. I didn't work too hard to make the colors perfect. Just wanted to see what the files look like, and I am extremely impressed with the high ISO performance here.

T

thsinar

Sure, no problem.

go ahead.

Thierrry

Addendum: too late, you've already done it!

;)

Thierry, would it be okay if I upload the full-size conversions done by Raw Developer (Mac only application) for others to download? Regards, Amin

Last edited:
A

asabet

Thanks Thierry, even though I've already done it :). I would have taken them down quick if you said so.

T

thsinar

That's nice, to have done this work: the ISO 6400 looses/clips a bit in the highlights, but still ....

Best regards,
Thierry

Thanks Thierry, even though I've already done it :). I would have taken them down quick if you said so.

A

asabet

That's nice, to have done this work: the ISO 6400 looses/clips a bit in the highlights, but still ....
I hope others find it interesting. Of course the file wasn't meant to be pushed 3 full stops, so the highlight clipping is understandable. It's the "but still..." part that is really impressive ;).