The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

anyone know of a 110mm LS for sale?

narikin

am desperate for a 110mm LS lens for June work, anyone know of one for sale anywhere?! I hear they are out there in limited numbers.

send me a private message if you have clues to follow.

thanks.

narikin

A dealer here lent me a 110mm demo for trial yesterday, and sad to report its alarmingly front focusing - by quite an amount. Is yours ok Tim?

the other surprising/ frustrating thing is that Capture One (latest) does not recognize it for Lens Correction. you are left with generics. I suspect this is a bug and have reported it to the C1 forums.

Last edited:

narikin

other than that I would also say the disappointing thing is that shooting is noisier than with a standard FS one. Normally leaf shutters are quieter than Focal Plane ones, but the implementation here, seems to be: mirror up, open focal shutter, fire leaf shutter, close focal, mirror down. You clearly here the extra step in the process - and toggling between FS and LS on camera, there is a noticeable difference in sound.

Just what the Phase body didn't need - to get even noisier!

I can't see an option for leaving FS locked open and just having the LS firing. that would be quieter and less vibration, I'd imagine. Maybe Phase haven't worked out how to have the back 'woken up' that way yet.

tashley

Subscriber Member
other than that I would also say the disappointing thing is that shooting is noisier than with a standard FS one. Normally leaf shutters are quieter than Focal Plane ones, but the implementation here, seems to be: mirror up, open focal shutter, fire leaf shutter, close focal, mirror down. You clearly here the extra step in the process - and toggling between FS and LS on camera, there is a noticeable difference in sound.

Just what the Phase body didn't need - to get even noisier!

I can't see an option for leaving FS locked open and just having the LS firing. that would be quieter and less vibration, I'd imagine. Maybe Phase haven't worked out how to have the back 'woken up' that way yet.
Yup it is a little noisier and the pre-FS open option would be great, especially from a vibration POV. The S2 implementation is way better. But I have to say that the 645D body is such a barn door anyway that I barely notice the difference with the LS lens. Call that a silver lining if you will!

tashley

Subscriber Member
A dealer here lent me a 110mm demo for trial yesterday, and sad to report its alarmingly front focusing - by quite an amount. Is yours ok Tim?

the other surprising/ frustrating thing is that Capture One (latest) does not recognize it for Lens Correction. you are left with generics. I suspect this is a bug and have reported it to the C1 forums.
I think it must be a duff sample - mine is razor razor razor even wide open and there appears not to be any focus shift. I haven't used it much yet so nasties could be revealed in future but for now I think I have a good example of a cracking good lens. Try another one if you can get hold of it!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yup it is a little noisier and the pre-FS open option would be great, especially from a vibration POV. The S2 implementation is way better. But I have to say that the 645D body is such a barn door anyway that I barely notice the difference with the LS lens. Call that a silver lining if you will!
I THINK there is a camera body setting for the LS lenses. Can't remember myself but I thought you can set it up for LS only or something. Need a Phase person here to reply.

tashley

Subscriber Member
AFAIK you just mount the LS lens and that's it. There are a coupla custom functions (17 and 18) that decide whether to 'force' leaf or FP or to let the camera decide based priority for the LS until its shutter speed range is exceeded. What would be cool would be to allow the FP shutter to left open for a short while as the user shoots some LS shots, thereby getting rid of some of the vibration.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I can confirm after an evening shooting Morris Dancers that my sample focuses really well. Not so great in Continuous, but that's characteristic of the system, and with lenses of this length we need a cross-hair not a vague central area, but nonetheless my copy is good though for some bizarre reason I think that it, or the body, has a bug that keeps intermittently setting the aperture to 3.5 whatever else you recently dialled in...

Bokeh is nice in small scale, like an ear looks good OOF if the eye is in focus, but in more landscape type work, medium to long distance, I personally think the bokeh is... prosaic. These things being a matter of taste. But I suspect it will make a damned nice studio/portrait lens. I'll try it out soon.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Here's a sample:

Full frame first then 100% crop of a file that has had nothing done in C1 other than WB. ISO 400, 1/350th at F3.5

tashley

Subscriber Member
And an example of when I don't like the bokeh: this is at F3.5, ISO 200 and focus is on the guy on the right and is fairly accurate. But look at the weird echo of the right hand edge of the roofline of the building on the left...

narikin

oh well. Hopefully just a bad sample. it was Phase's demo one though, so someone needs a kick for letting that one out.

yes a function to lock FS open and only use LS would be great.
what is the Leica answer with their LS? I have used an S2 with non LS lens, but not with, so am unaware of difference.

agreed DF is a barn door. insanely noisy. Phase must work on that. I've took to using a Camera Muzzle on occasion, though its not even made for this shape of camera: http://www.adorama.com/Als/ProductPage/CZM.html

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
No bug. As with any newly released camera/lens there is sometimes a few weeks between the first shipments and the support for it in the software. The next version of C1 will almost surely include corrections for the new released lenses.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

narikin

my second 110mm LS lens example, and its front focusing too!

I work with the exact same settings with my 80mm D lens, and it nails it 90% of the time. this is worrisome... lets see where my (very good) dealer goes with this.

narikin

oh, and on a side note - the lens is almost 1/3 stop faster (brighter) at same given settings than the 80mm! I think its the 80mm that is dimmer than its supposed f# though, not the Schneider lens

tashley

Subscriber Member
Just to report back that I shot a hundred frames in the studio last night and the 110/DF combo nailed focus really well. I needed some DOF so was generally working at f8 or higher but the success rate, once you'd taken user error out of the equation, was ~= 100 % and I really liked the look too....

narikin

hmmm- yes the 110mm does seem to work well at studio distances (doing it at F8 is hardly a critical test though!), the focus issue I have is at farther distances, like 15-20m+, where it is out 80% of the time, whereas my 80D lens is spot on 80% of the time.

It is being looked into as we speak.

narikin

oh I got one, thanks. Its just its faulty focusing at farther distances. I've had two in fact, and they are both the same...