The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

leaf shutter with Contax

gogopix

Subscriber
Since the Phase series (and others) can synch with a leaf shutter, why can't a hasselblad lens leaf shutter be used with a Phase back? That is, open the shutter with :B:, trip the leaf shutter and the phase P45+ with the Kapture group cable.

Any idea why this wouldnt work?

lost manual, figure you guy have this knowledge 'right there'

anyway, would be an interesting option esp if it could also synch with flash. then can get 1/500 synch w/o changing from trhe C645 platform.

ok there may be some issue with back communication with 'B' setting, but COULD work, no?

Vicxtor

fotografz

Since the Phase series (and others) can synch with a leaf shutter, why can't a hasselblad lens leaf shutter be used with a Phase back? That is, open the shutter with :B:, trip the leaf shutter and the phase P45+ with the Kapture group cable.

Any idea why this wouldnt work?

lost manual, figure you guy have this knowledge 'right there'

anyway, would be an interesting option esp if it could also synch with flash. then can get 1/500 synch w/o changing from trhe C645 platform.

ok there may be some issue with back communication with 'B' setting, but COULD work, no?

Victor
Assuming you are refering to the Hasselblad/Zeiss leaf shutter C lenses, how would you "trip" the lens shutter since there are no mechanical connections to do so ... and even if you could, how would you re-cock the shutter inside the lens after shooting which requires mechanical winding?

And if you couldn't re-cock the shutter, you then couldn't remove the lens from the MAM-1 adapter that allows mounting on a Contax 645 = trip to Hasselblad service to get your lens back.

I wonder if a Hasselblad CF adapter could be used with the MAM-1 adapter to pull this off on a Contax? It may create to much distance between the rear element and the sensor plane ... but might work for closer work.

However, there are e-contact points on the CF Adapter, and I wouldn't want to damage my CF Adapter to find out.

irakly

it should be possible to build an adaptor for use of rollei lenses on contax 645 body. if i remember correctly, kyocera had plans for a leaf-shutter lens, so c645 mount must have shutter-dedicated contacts. we just need some crazy german engineer and a rich eccentric british benefactor to pull this off :)

gogopix

Subscriber
Ray, THANKS

On tripping the shutter, I havent tried but I thought there was a way to trip the shutter from the lens. I know the cocking/body nonsense and the special tool from hell that sells for $20000 to open when you make a mistake, but I cant believe that at LEAST one iof the 4,000 widgets on a zeiss leaf lens cant trigger the shutter manually (even for testing. Is EVERYTHInG done from the body? maybe HB wanted that way.

ANyway, the tripping mechanism from HB body is simple, and could be engineered (alpa has a simple fix for the 35mm SCheider bto lock open and the warn)

Something for the tinkerers to think about.

The H has such a device since it is made to use the leaf shutter on H1-3 cameras I believe.

Victor