The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 120 f/4.0 D vs. Non D Version

pesto

Today I received a 120 Mamiya macro lens that I purchased on ebay. The seller represented the lens as a "D" version, but it is not. It appears to be 2006 vintage and is in great condition, but I have been unable to test it as my PhaseOne camera has yet to arrive. Aside from the 16 bit chip, are there optical differences between this lens and the current "D" versions from Phase and Mamiya? Is this worth making a fuss about from a user point of view, putting ethical matters aside for now?

Many thanks!

kdphotography

Optically, I could not find anything substantive that would indicate a qualititative difference between the non-D and the latest D series Mamiya 120mm macro. The only difference that I could find is the 16 bit chip. For myself, I felt it best to buy a D series 120mm macro because I am using the P65+ (and Phase DF). The price difference is substantial---and so yes, I would make a fuss over not receiving a D series lens as represented.

pesto

Thanks KD. Given that this is a manual focus lens, what function does the chip serve? For the record, I bought this lens" very right" , certainly not what one would expect for a D version so I would not be getting hurt if this were to an acceptable alternative. I certainly do not want to compromise at this point but I am not certain what I would be giving up if the optics are equivalent.

Dale Allyn

Jack did a nice job of summarizing many of the Mamiya lens attributes here: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15710 including comments on the 120 macros. And the various 120s have been discussed elsewhere in the forum, if you'd like more comments regarding 120 lineage.

I own the 120 "D" and find it quite good, though have seen results from several Mamiya 120s of various series and all seem quite good. You don't mention the price, but suggest that you bought it "very right", so that may factor. If I were bidding on what I understood to be a "120mm D macro lens" I would be disappointed to receive less, but if you bought it for a few hundred dollars, and if the lens is performing, then one may choose to just make images until (and if) they find the need for the "D" version. Differences are generally recognized as minimal if any, comparing the last couple of versions.