The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sinar e54LV 'mother of all samples' thread :)

Greg Seitz

I used Brumbaer to create the DNGs and I think it does funny things, possibly due to the highlight recovery algorithm. One of the reasons I posted the Photoshop layers first was to avoid all this confusion (which I knew would happen). It is the results that matter. Please look at the Photoshop document to compare properly processed results across the ISO range.
I agree, in the end it's certainly the results that matter and the files look great. That said, I'm glad that you posted the DNGs, gives me a much better idea of what I can do with the files and lets me try them with both ACR and Aperture. Thanks again for posting them.

T

thsinar

Graham,

just came back from China and have now tried here: but I have the same problem, as soon clicking the "download" button there is a window appearing with codes/numbers, endlessly!

No way to download.

Kind regards,
Thierry

PS. here what shows up!

Did anyone manage to download the PS document? According to the mediafire logs, there were 15 downloads but no-one has commented.

robsteve

Subscriber
I downloaded the individual 400iso shot. Where there is light and the exposure is correct, it looks good. The noise in the areas where there is shade such as in the foreground people in the shade is quite big and blotchy. In that regards it looks worse than my DMR at 1600iso before the latest firmware, but if you downsized the file to the size of a 35mm 1.3 crop size sensor, the noise will probably be less noticeable.

Robert

T

thsinar

Robert,

Please keep in mind: Graham has NOT applied any NR on this file.

Thierry

I downloaded the individual 400iso shot. Where there is light and the exposure is correct, it looks good. The noise in the areas where there is shade such as in the foreground people in the shade is quite big and blotchy. In that regards it looks worse than my DMR at 1600iso before the latest firmware, but if you downsized the file to the size of a 35mm 1.3 crop size sensor, the noise will probably be less noticeable.

Robert

LJL

Thierry and Guy,
If you saved that garbled looking file to your desktop or wherever, you will see that it has an extension beyond the .dng. Just delete that extension so the file becomes "iso50.dng" as in Thierry's example, and it will open in whatever app you are probably using.

LJ

Graham Mitchell

Sorry to hear you are having problems - I tested it myself and had no issues.

Robsteve, there is no noise reduction on this.

It would be preferable if people looked at the Photoshop file I created which removes all workflow issues.

Here is a crop from ISO 400 showing the shadow noise. There is no noise reduction applied at all:

robsteve

Subscriber
Robert,

Please keep in mind: Graham has NOT applied any NR on this file.

Thierry
I was comparing it to the DMR file prior to noise reduction too. In the latest firmware, I think there is some noise reduction done by the DMR prior to writing the RAW file, while in the previous firmwares, I think Leica/Imacon was expecting the user to deal with it as they thought best and didn't apply any noise reduction.

Robert

Last edited:

Graham Mitchell

In case some Mac users are not aware, if you want to download the files in the original post, before clicking on "Click here to start download" hold the CTRL key....and then select "Download Linked File As........"

P

Panopeeper

Real ISOs

Hi,

I apologize for this intrusion. I have nothing to do here; I stumbled upon this page through a link. I am not the owner of any MFDB; my interest is only to all kinds of raw images, analyzing the characteristics of different cameras for the selfish purpose of better understanding their nature.

Anyway, I noticed the post of Greg Seitz guessing that the Sinar eM22 back does not really have different ISO gains. I suspected this before, and now took the liberty and downloaded the DNG files for an analysis.

Well, Greg was right. There is no ISO gain; the raw data is getting "lower and lower" with higher ISO.

The raw converter records following adjustments in the XMP metadata; this causes for example ACR displaying like-brightness. Without that the higher ISO images would appear very dark:

ISO 50: +0.50 EV
ISO 100: +0.85 EV
ISO 200: +1.85 EV
ISO 400: +2.80 EV

Here are the raw histograms (and I mean RAW). Note, that ISO 200 and 400 look almost identical, but look for the yellow note on the pixel level. Brumbaer's DNG converter insert strange white levels (16696, 16689, 25047), only ISO 400 gets 16383; this cases Rawnalyze to scale ISO 400 differently.

It is noteworthy, that the pixel values do not get halved by increasing "ISO" setting; the reduction is less.

Finally, the histograms:

ISO 50:

ISO 100:

ISO 200:

ISO 400:

T

thsinar

Re: Real ISOs

Dear Panopeeper,

nothing to apologize.

Thanks for your comments.

I may add some information o your finding about Brumbaer's "strange" white levels: As I have said, the Brumbaer DNG converter does a "Highlight Recovery" by using the information left in one channel or another: it is very rare that all 3 colour channels are completely blown out, and this information left is used to recover details by Brumbaer's "eMotion DNG Converter".

Thanks again and best regards,
Thierry

Hi,

I apologize for this intrusion.
Here are the raw histograms (and I mean RAW). Note, that ISO 200 and 400 look almost identical, but look for the yellow note on the pixel level. Brumbaer's DNG converter insert strange white levels (16696, 16689, 25047), only ISO 400 gets 16383; this cases Rawnalyze to scale ISO 400 differently.

F

Fred Ragland

Graham, this was a lot of work to help us understand what your back will do. Opening the files in PS and seeing what the limits are is very helpful. Thank you.

Fred

F

Fred Ragland

Fred, you're welcome. Did you download the large PS file? That's probably the best.
No, although I'm on a high speed line, it was downloading at only (roughly) 60 KB/sec so with the time available, I downloaded the ISO 50 and 400 DNG files. Although the ISO 400 has some color noise, the ISO 50 is a pleasure to study.

Thank you again for doing this.

Fred