The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S2 versus H4D40/50 test

gogopix

Subscriber
Thanks to all. Leaving out the going in biases (richer color, more, less 3D look etc) I am surprised that the raw shows better than the LR 'defaults" (remmeber tha's what I did.
Yes, I suppose there was a slight over exposure, but with the available DR (and the extra detail by 'exposing to the right" I see that the more important result is the better detail. David's looks the most natural, Roger's and marc's more interesting. Mark's in the middle. In Guy's shot, I think it isn't oversharpening that is bottering me, but the heavy mascara! (on the girls, that is.)

Bottom line here (and this makes it twice in 2 days! :ROTFL: ) I have to agree with Guy that the data are there, and that the initial raw processing is what will drop the exposure in a way to preserve the DR for final 8-10 bit printing from going in 14-16 bits.

That said, my mistake was to 'trust' LR AUTO defaults - they just mess things up out of the box. Need to do WB (and yes, I have a passport but not for this shot) and then make the exposure/fill/recovery manually. The LR auto just over does it and then it is too late. Again this is where a raw is needed.

NOW, I am surprised LR doesnt use the best and latest ACR. DNG is, after all, Adobe's baby. If they cannot handle DNG files, what he hell! :eek:

Anyway, thx again. The S2 is no Phase--thank goodness!:D If it were I wouldn't see the option. It\\S2 has a way to go, but may yet be in my future, but more because "if you can't carry the camera, you'll not get the shoot":lecture: It was very easy to use. (Now how about a brighter top lcd?....)

Thx again all
Victor

Last edited:

xpixel

There is a new test from a german magzine Leica S2 vs Hasselblad H4D-40:

http://www.colorfoto.de/kiosk/colorfoto_3956396.html

Here the conclusion (translated with google..:):

"Both cameras comply with its excellent image quality, high resolution and low noise, high expectations. Compared replaced the Leica fine details a little better, while the Hasselblad offers more resolution and the dynamics in the lead has. If there is a tie, the image quality. Hasselblad relies on classical control plan with many keys for quick shortcuts, Leica "intelligent" soft keys. In comparison, the Hasselblad can operate faster, but Leica learn more intuitive. Central locking works only with Hasselblad, Leica offers Central and slot closure. Conversely, only the Hasselblad viewfinder is interchangeable and it also comes in the handling and equipment at a stalemate.
The H4D-generation is a successful development of the H3D-series, which offers the H4D-40 with an average of € 13 000 and 40 megapixel resolution is an interesting and low-priced entry level into the professional medium format. Leica can not (yet) offer the diversity of Hasselblad system, but the start was managed technically perfect, with an equivalent image quality, celeverem operating concept as well as dust and splash protection. However, the surcharge is € 7500 including lens. Thus although there was no winner, but the Hasselblad offers the better price / performance ratio."

Original text:

"Beide Kameras entsprechen mit ihrer ausgezeichneten Bildqualität, höchster Auflösung bei geringem Rauschen den hohen Erwartungen. Im Vergleich erhält die Leica feine Details etwas besser, während die Hasselblad etwas mehr Auflösung bietet und bei der Dynamik die Nase vorn hat. Bei der Bildqualität herrscht Gleichstand. Hasselblad setzt auf klassisches Bedienkonzept mit zahlreichen Tasten für schnelle Direktzugriffe, Leica auf "intelligente" Softkeys. Im Vergleich lässt sich die Hasselblad schneller bedienen, aber Leica intuitiver erlernen. Hasselblad arbeitet ausschliesslich mit Zentralverschlüssen, Leica bietet Zentral- und Schlitzverschluss. Umgekehrt ist nur der Hasselblad-Sucher austauschbar, und so kommt es auch bei der Handhabung und Ausstattung zum Patt.
Die H4D-Generation ist eine gelungene Weiterentwicklung der H3D-Serie, wobei die H4D-40 mit durchschnittlich 13000 Euro und 40 Megapixel Auflösung ein interessantes und günstiges Einstiegmodell ins professionelle Mittelformat bietet. Leica kann (noch) nicht die Systemvielfalt von Hasselblad bieten, doch ist der Einstieg technisch perfekt gelungen, mit einer gleichwertigen Bildqualität, celeverem Bedienkonzept sowie Staub- und Spritzwasserschutz. Allerdings beträgt der Aufpreis inklusive Objektiv 7500 Euro. Damit gibt es zwar keinen Sieger, aber die Hasselblad bietet das bessere Preis/Leistungsverhältnis."

gogopix

Subscriber
well, last bit of fooling around
no AUTO..was overcast, here the bigger ship red is closer..

But overall, better to just wait till the sun comes out:D

In gerenal I prefer a more natural look. Boosting saturation can help 3D but I save that for printng
Detail looks good here

S

Shelby Lewis

Shelby, I have to disagree.

Of course it's purely subjective ... but perhaps at least an explanation as to why I disagree is in order.

-Marc
Good points Marc,

These are helpful thoughts for me... not seeing many of the files, quite possibly the lack of focal clarity (to my eyes, and again looking a web files) might just be a lack of acuity at the focal plane due to the blown-out whites in the these samples.

Thanks for the thoughts... again, pretty helpful to someone who's admittedly not spent much time with S2 files... even though that scene still looks strange to my eyes.

Guy... spot on in my estimation.

David K

Workshop Member
Notwithstanding the software and/or other shortcomings the S2 may have I think it's still capable of generating some pretty impressive images in the right hands. For example, the images shot by Jorge Alvarez (processed in C1) which are showcased on Capture Integration's website. I had the pleasure of visiting with Jorge a while back... he's a nice guy and, IMHO, an outstanding photographer.

http://www.captureintegration.com/2010/01/08/leica-s2-first-impressions/

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Notwithstanding the software and/or other shortcomings the S2 may have I think it's still capable of generating some pretty impressive images in the right hands. For example, the images shot by Jorge Alvarez (processed in C1) which are showcased on Capture Integration's website. I had the pleasure of visiting with Jorge a while back... he's a nice guy and, IMHO, an outstanding photographer.

http://www.captureintegration.com/2010/01/08/leica-s2-first-impressions/
Thanks for posting this. Many Chris could clue us in how they got such a nice rendering out of C1 . Seems to be pretty much to the point Kurt raised by his post.

... For example, the images shot by Jorge Alvarez (processed in C1) which are showcased on Capture Integration's website. I had the pleasure of visiting with Jorge a while back... he's a nice guy and, IMHO, an outstanding photographer...[/url]
I agree. Jorge is a really nice guy and extremely talented. I had the pleasure of meeting Jorge and being present for a portion of the shoot that David K linked. Here is a link to his website. The model's name is Lane Lindell and she is a very nice person as well.