The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One P20 battery question

Analog6

Lately the back is not keeping the date stored when it is turned off - it keeps reverting back to January 2005. Is there another battery for 'internal' functions that needs to be changed? If so, can anyone point me to the right spot to search?

Paul2660

Yes, there is a internal battery that keeps the clock/date current and they faill in about 2 years. I was told by Digital Transitions that this has to be replaced by Phase One not the user. So I left mine alone. Not sure if it effects issues like upgrading the firmware on the back.

Paul Caldwell

Analog6

Well, I got the quote - for $AUD2,300:00, plus GST for a total of $AUD2,530! Seems a bit steep for a battery, 'eh?

This is what the local agent sent to me - they were very understanding in that it may not be 'viable' for me to get it repaired.
"As this is not a simple repair such as replacing a battery, these digital backs have a built-in condenser which act as a battery to hold basic memory.
This will attract a standard FIXED repair price from Phase One, for the digital back which all aspects of the internal components “if required” will be repaired (cosmetic & CCD repairs are billed separate)."

I'll say it's not viable! I'll just keep filing them by date taken and forget the date in the camera. If I have time I can reset it on the day but the minute you turn it off it goes back to 2005.

Analog6

I received another email back from the very helpful and understanding man at L and P Digital. he suggested the following, which I will try today. If it works I'll come back and report as this may be useful to someone else down the track.

"But what I would suggest trying is leaving the digital back plugged in via tethered and switched on for a few hours.
As it is not a battery it may give it some life back, maybe just enough for a days shoot without setting the date & time that often.
That’s only my personal speculation though. Let me know if it works."

Analog6

A curious thing has happened - it just started working normally again. My theory (everybody has one, like something else that's not polite for forums!) is that as it is a condenser, and the back is 5 years old, it was the cold in NZ that was making it lose the plot and stop knowing the date. Now I am back home on the subtropical north coast, it's working fie again.

The wonders of modern technology, eh!