The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase Backs/ Talk to me

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have interest in the P25 plus and the P30 Plus. I shoot everything so need one size fits all , although i know better than to think like that but get daddy home safely. LOL

Thoughts

Guy Mancuso

My concerns on the P30 plus. Wide angles and color shift with Mamiya 28 and 35 although I did get answer from Lance on this but would like to here users .

Dynamic Range big concern do you lose some with the smaller micron sensor

Is there a AA filter or just the Micro lenses

resolution how is it really.

i get to test these next week in San Juan with the Capture-integration group but would like to hear more. I'm off to a gig but will check in later tonight. I have the ZD back but thinking of upgrading.

harmsr

Workshop Member
Jack,

Guy is probably worse than all of us put together. :D

I love helping him spend money on Nikon gear.:angel: Yes, I'm guilty of the 28 & 50 Zeiss primes. :thumbup: We may have him almost convinced to get a D3 vs. the D300. Hopefully, we can finish corrupting him in San Juan.:ROTFL:

Unfortunately, he me return the favor on me relative to Medium Format gear. If he does that, I think he will have caused me to spend more money.:angry:

Ray

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Dare I say it:
What will Guy's MF kit consist of at the start of the San Juan Workshop?
What will Guy's MF kit consist of at the end of the San Juan Workshop?

. . . this could prove to be more fun than the reported fifty bars in old San Juan :D

Clawery

There are microlenses on the P30+ and it's a great all around DB. You won't have a problem on your Mamiya with the 28mm or 35mm. As long as you don't put it on a technical camera with swings, tilts or major movements.

Here is the name of one of my clients that has a P30+ w/ a 28mm:

Don Libby of Iron Creek Photography - www.ironcreekphotography.com
520-603-7862 / [email protected]

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
[email protected]
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National
404-234-5195 | Cell

Don Libby

Gotta remember to thank Chris for the plug… :D
Okay now the facts…

I’ve been shooting landscape with a Mamiya 645 AFD II Phase P30+ combo for better part of a year now. I did a shoot in the South Rim of the Grand Canyon December last year and used only the 28mm lens. I also went to Carmel and Big Sur February of this year and used the 28. I had absolutely no problems whatsoever with the 28mm and the P30+….none nada nope. Want samples? Go to our website, Iron Creek Photography and look at the “Landscape” gallery you’ll see Pfeiffer Beach (28mm 4sec shot) and a couple of the South Rim shots.

I’ve used the 28, 35, 75-150, 210(not as much) 300 and a Hartblei 45 Super Rotator all with great results. I used the Hartblei in Sequoia National Park and was surprised at the quality of the images.

Just a mindless plug for both Capture Integration and myself: the Miami office used several images of ours in their last workshop; I don’t know if Lance is planning to use them again but they might have them available to anyone attending the next workshop.

We leave for Alaska (driving there) in about a week, I’ll be visiting the site whenever I get internet access so please don’t be put off if I fail to answer or “show up” for a couple days at a time, we should be back here July/August timeframe.

Hope this answers the question of whether or not a P30+ can do landscape photography ‘cause it sure can. BTW, the lens that just about lives on my camera is the 28mm followed by the 75-150.

Cheers

don

David K

Workshop Member
Dare I say it:
What will Guy's MF kit consist of at the start of the San Juan Workshop?
What will Guy's MF kit consist of at the end of the San Juan Workshop?
. . . this could prove to be more fun than the reported fifty bars in old San Juan :D
I'm thinking a video camera might come in handy on this workshop :)

gogopix

Subscriber
The P30+ seems to have an ISO advantage, but the P25 is better for FF and shifts.
it'll also get some nice detail

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Okay now the facts…

I’ve been shooting landscape with a Mamiya 645 AFD II Phase P30+ combo for better part of a year now. I did a shoot in the South Rim of the Grand Canyon December last year and used only the 28mm lens. I also went to Carmel and Big Sur February of this year and used the 28. I had absolutely no problems whatsoever with the 28mm and the P30+….none nada nope. Want samples? Go to our website, Iron Creek Photography and look at the “Landscape” gallery you’ll see Pfeiffer Beach (28mm 4sec shot) and a couple of the South Rim shots.

I’ve used the 28, 35, 75-150, 210(not as much) 300 and a Hartblei 45 Super Rotator all with great results. I used the Hartblei in Sequoia National Park and was surprised at the quality of the images.

Just a mindless plug for both Capture Integration and myself: the Miami office used several images of ours in their last workshop; I don’t know if Lance is planning to use them again but they might have them available to anyone attending the next workshop.

We leave for Alaska (driving there) in about a week, I’ll be visiting the site whenever I get internet access so please don’t be put off if I fail to answer or “show up” for a couple days at a time, we should be back here July/August timeframe.

Hope this answers the question of whether or not a P30+ can do landscape photography ‘cause it sure can. BTW, the lens that just about lives on my camera is the 28mm followed by the 75-150.

Cheers

don
Thanks Don was hoping you would chime in. Lance mentioned you today to me about shooting the P30 plus. Sounds really good from you comments. thanks again Guy

Guy Mancuso

I'm thinking a video camera might come in handy on this workshop :)
Just keep the sound OFF. LOL

I'm going with what i have what I come home with maybe a different story , just don't tell my wife either way. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Okay now the facts…

Cheers

don
Hi Don, great to have you here with us --- WELCOME!

Paul2660

Guy and Jack,

Hopefully you will get a good bright day on the test, I will be interested in your opinion on how you feel the Phase One backs handle highlights in outdoor shooting situations. Especially when compared to what you are seeing with the ZD back.

Guy Mancuso

Yes we are hoping for that also. Lance i know for sure is bringing a P30 plus and a P45 plus and trying to get us a P25 plus also. We may even have the new Phase one/Mamiya AFD-III coming . It is due to arrive to Lance the day before he leaves for San Juan. Hopefully that will happen for him and us for that matter .Plus Lance is bringing some lenses we don't have which is really rare for Jack and i because between us i thought we had almost everything. LOL

I want to see how the P25+ and P30+ are next to the ZD . Jack is looking at the P45 compared to a Aptus 75s which the only back we don't have and Sinar

I have a opportunity to purchase a P30+ today but want to try it first. This should be fun so when on a break i can line them up and get something with meat in it for us all to see.

Little secret the new C1 beta is setup really nice for the Phase backs with some new features but i should not talk about it right now until it is released but phase back owners will be happy. I have the new beta so i will see how that is also with them. Hopefully next week and the week after there will be a lot of new data on our site for folks to chew on. So do look forward to that

Paul2660

I hope you are able to get back to the creek or one like it where you did the ZD test. Especially where you shot the water on that bright day.

I feel that the 45+ is very sensitive to highlights, enough so that in many situations, you have to expose for the highlight, and underexpose the rest of the image even at iso 50, which was a big surprise for me. You can pull the images up as much as 2 stops of underexposure and still have no noise at iso 50.

I have brought this up with Phase One since I thought my back I used might have a problem, but they agreed that highlights can be a problem.

Paul C

Paul2660

Guy, on the C1 beta, are you talking about Capture 4.1 beta or a beta of Pro? I saw the link to download Capture 4.1, but haven't pulled it down yet.

Paul

Guy Mancuso

Capture 4.1 beta and thanks for the heads up on the highlights i will certainly be looking at this.

Guy Mancuso

Really looking forward to trying these backs . I like the Phase one setup on the menu items four buttons to push to get around seems very efficient and fast. I like reviews to come up fast. I am a chimper and not afraid to admit it. And many times i like to zoom in and move around. I also have the D300 which i love for this. It is fast as hell in review and i get around a image in zoom very fast. If the Phase is even close to this my heart is all over it.

Don Libby

Here's a sample image taken this year with the P30+ and 28mm lens

This one was taken at the South Rim Grand Canyon East Entrance Desert View, again P30+ but with a 35mm lens. This is a 2 shot image turned into a panorama - I've sold a couple of these images the largest a 30x60 on canvas

As far as I'm concerned, nothing beats the P30+ for the most bang for the buck! I came very close to getting the P45 but felt the extra money just wasn't worth it.....

don

Guy Mancuso

Don they look really nice. Thanks for posting them

Yes as much as i would like the 39 mpx i just don't think i need it for my work and i really gotta stretch to make this purchase anyway so have to be careful. My wife would sling me over the coals if i went over any money on stuff I would have to sell to get here. So I really have to watch the dollars on this one.