The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HOW DO YOU FOCUS WITH YOUR ALPA

thomas

Show me or explain me how you do it . I am curious .
A LEICA DISTO 5 is in my head but not on my wishlist yet .
Might be , that the new ALPA "precision focussing device" will speed up a decision .
I think so, as - if I remember correctly - they are planning to make indications with much finer steps than the traditional lenses. So basically similar to Arca's approach just with the current helical mount. Still, I bet this will improve things significantly!

Once you know the distance of the camera front plate to the sensor you simply can put the disto on the front of the camera and use the respective offset value. I'm sure Alpa knows the distance... if not there are appropriate measurement devices that you can loan from a precision mechanic.
As far as my understanding goes the D5 can also store offset values so that you don't even have to calculate it for each focussing distance.
You could also prepare a small metal plate with a spacer that you hold against the rear of the camera so that the disto alignes with the sensor plane.
Finally you could even mount it on a small bracket and put it on the hot shoe of the camera... though this is a bit impractical as you have to point the entire camera to measure a certain distance.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Maybe I'm missing something but I can't dial in that level of precision into the focus scale on the lenses. I have a Leica Disto and the precision it registers for distance gets approximated when I have to translate that into the focus scale on the lens mount. With the GG/loupe basically I can nail it, assuming that there's enough light that I can see it.

thomas

Maybe I'm missing something but I can't dial in that level of precision into the focus scale on the lenses.
yes, you are missing something :)
look at the enormous number of indictions on the Rm3D (those indications are also not logarithmic, they are linear... which is also great when a certain critical distance is in between of two indications).
Be prepared to see a good deal of indications on the future focus rings of Alpa...
Until they ship you can of course tape your own additional indications on the focus ring... see for instance here: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpost.php?p=242442&postcount=20

GrahamWelland

Yes that approach would work. I keep hearing rumors of the "future focus rings" and certainly for me at least just having more logarithmic scale indicators between the marks would be sufficient. My approximation skills are ok but not perfect and thankfully I can see well enough to dial in against a finer set of distance marks than the gross settings on the mounts today.

Roll on Photokina (or some tedious GG/disto calibration & sticky tape scale work) ...

thomas

Yes that approach would work. I keep hearing rumors of the "future focus rings" and certainly for me at least just having more logarithmic scale indicators between the marks would be sufficient.
the same to me. I actually only need some more indications between the last indication in meters and infinity (though the more indications the better). At closer distances focussing on the GG with a 6x loupe works really okay for me.

GrahamWelland

Terry

I saw that but it doesn't make a jot of difference if your scale goes from 2-3-5-10-50-inf with nothing in between :p At that point you're down to making your own custom scale (if it matters that much to you of course). This applies to everything other than the Arca at this point ...

Last edited:

Terry

I understand the question on the Alpa, I just thought there was still a question on how the Arca focused. Sorry to go OT.

:eek:

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
My focusing technique on the cambo for landscapes with a 35mm lens is to
1) crank it to infinity
2) back it off either none, a hair, or a bit depending on the scene
stop down to f/11
done.
Granted it is not precision or anywhere close to accurate, but it is carefree and quick.
I am seriously interested about doing better.
Open loop systems are prone to issues no matter how carefully made, so my preference is to focus by ground glass.
-bob

jotloob

Subscriber Member
High Precision Focusing Rings .

For all ALPA users , who are interested in the HPF rings , which were announced at PHOTOKINA 2010 .
According to an ALPA statement , the RODENSTOCK HPF rings are onsite and can be shipped , starting next week .
The HPF rings for the SCHNEIDER lenses will follow about a week later .

So I am waiting for my four HPF rings .

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
This thread takes on a whole new aspect now that Phase One has announced the Phase One IQ back will have Live View on the digital back without a laptop, and suitable for landscape/architecture/interior (read: slower, tripod based styles of photography).

Especially when using tilt/swing as there was previously no ideal method on any platform when using tilt.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

jlm

Workshop Member
Doug:

in the few instances where I have tried live view (eek!, with the H blads) the image is black and white and funky, maybe suitable for focus check.

how will the phase live view image be?

jotloob

Subscriber Member
This thread takes on a whole new aspect now that Phase One has announced the Phase One IQ back will have Live View on the digital back without a laptop, and suitable for landscape/architecture/interior (read: slower, tripod based styles of photography).

Especially when using tilt/swing as there was previously no ideal method on any platform when using tilt.

Newsletter | RSS Feed
Yes Doug , you are right and I knew this argument would come up .
But it is only valid for those who can afford an IQ1x0 back .
For those , who can not , the HPF rings are surely a good improvement .

Doug:
in the few instances where I have tried live view (eek!, with the H blads) the image is black and white and funky, maybe suitable for focus check.
John , I can only agree . I tried live view a couple of times with my CFVs , but dislike the B/W display and am not using it anymore .
Therefore the HPF rings will be a valuable help for me .
Till I have an IQ180 . :ROTFL:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Doug:

"The Phase One IQ will be the first digital back to allow live view on the digital back without a computer. By building in a total of 9 cores worth of processing, including custom designed dedicated processors, and by working closely with DALSA, Phase One has been able to do what was previously thought to be impossible. The refresh rate and flexibility (concerning scene contrast) will be sufficient to allow still life, interior, architectural, and landscape photographers the ability to check focus in real-time without the need to lug a laptop along (it will not be possible to use this feature off of a tripod due to the limitations of CCD sensors). In addition to the new Focus Mask and fast 100% zoom views (or 200-400% zoom views for critical applications) Live View on the back will make the Phase One IQ the best back in the world for users of technical and view cameras. Please note that this feature is still being completed, and is not activated in the demo units being shown before the product launch, but is planned to be included in the first backs shipping to customers in April."

From our article here: http://www.captureintegration.com/phase-one/iq/

Newsletter | RSS Feed

GrahamWelland

Newsletter | RSS Feed
This feature along with focus masking pretty much sealed the deal for me to order an IQ140 (I wish I could afford an IQ160/180 but reality intervenes for me :eek:). For me it's a lateral sensor move but the ability to use live view & focus check is really what I've wanted on the back vs ground glass. I'm hoping that it'll make the shoot/recompose cycle quicker & allow me to be faster using just the VF to coarse compose and then fine tune on the back. I suspect I"ll be buying a bunch more batteries too though!

The HPF rings look interesting but for landscape work at f/8 - f/11 or more I simply just don't need them. Maybe if I shot still life or macro perhaps? Otherwise I don't really see the need for 99% of my landscape work - a nice solution to those that do though I guess.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
This feature along with focus masking pretty much sealed the deal for me to order an IQ140 (I wish I could afford an IQ160/180 but reality intervenes for me :eek:). For me it's a lateral sensor move but the ability to use live view & focus check is really what I've wanted on the back vs ground glass. I'm hoping that it'll make the shoot/recompose cycle quicker & allow me to be faster using just the VF to coarse compose and then fine tune on the back. I suspect I"ll be buying a bunch more batteries too though!

The HPF rings look interesting but for landscape work at f/8 - f/11 or more I simply just don't need them. Maybe if I shot still life or macro perhaps? Otherwise I don't really see the need for 99% of my landscape work - a nice solution to those that do though I guess.
I agree to what you say . Focus mask and live view will make shooting faster , easier and more comfortable . If you can afford an IQ1xx PHASE back .
Currently I can not afford and therefore the HPF rings will be a big help for me . At least , that is what I expect .
As you say , not for landscape . Agreed . But most of my current work is documentary architecture work in narrow streets in old towns and the distance is often between 10 and 15 meters only .

On the other hand , would a focus mask and live view not make the focusing precision of an Rm2d/Rm3d obsolete ? ? ?
With focus mask and live view you could also easily return to use a monorail camera , like my ARCA F-LINE Metric , together with the IQ1xx backs . Not as comortable as with a technical camera , but with lots of shift and tilt possibilities . A kind of revival ? ! !

Christopher

I think it is an interesting question. I don't think thet the HPF rings or the focus precision of the Arca is obsolete. First I have to see how good live view is, second I have the fear that it will drain batteries much faster, so I think it still is great to make good focus before using live view. As I havent tested it in any way, but I could imagine that the Arca method together with live view might be amazing to get perfect focus.

GrahamWelland

I certainly believe that if you are using a live view/focus mask & zoom check with the digital back that the next offering we'll need will be some super high capacity compact batteries.

Jurgen: I can certainly see how for mid/close work that a distometer & HPF rings would help you. You will have to report back on how they work out for you.