The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HOW DO YOU FOCUS WITH YOUR ALPA

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Jurgen: I can certainly see how for mid/close work that a distometer & HPF rings would help you. You will have to report back on how they work out for you.
I will be away for a couple of days next week and if everthing works out fine , I might be able to pick up the HPF rings at my dealer (250km away from here) .
I will report back as soon as the rings are here .

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I have returned just about 2 hours ago , but with empty hands .
The HPF rings are shipped but have not arrived yet at my dealer .

The ALPA people told me , that they are preparing a small video about how to attach the HPF rings to the existing focus mount . That video can be seen on their home page , hopefully next week .

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I love my STC too but ... how about showing the real look in the field with the sync & release cables? Some of the elegance disappears when you see it fully loaded but it's still a work of art.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I love my STC too but ... how about showing the real look in the field with the sync & release cables? Some of the elegance disappears when you see it fully loaded but it's still a work of art.
Yes , Graham I agree . I shot an image of the STC with the sync and release cable (gold plated HORSEMAN) and did not like it very much .
I hope I must not apologize for the above image . I am not an ALPA fetishist , but I love the ALPA precision .

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Yes , Graham I agree . I shot an image of the STC with the sync and release cable (gold plated HORSEMAN) and did not like it very much .
I hope I must not apologize for the above image . I am not an ALPA fetishist , but I love the ALPA precision .
Jurgen,

Oh absolutely no apologies needed!! Part of what I enjoy about using the Alpa system and digital backs is the quality of design, construction and operation - I think it helps me take more care and get more engaged in photography when I use it. Your shot shows all of these attributes.

PeterA

Call me silly - but I really think lot of these photos are fantastic - we are looking at product shots - and what fine products they are.

However (with my fashionista hat on) a blue Alpa plate ??!!!

I am sorry totally unforgiveable - Jurgen what WERE you thinking!

:ROTFL::ROTFL:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Call me silly - but I really think lot of these photos are fantastic - we are looking at product shots - and what fine products they are.

However (with my fashionista hat on) a blue Alpa plate ??!!!

I am sorry totally unforgiveable - Jurgen what WERE you thinking!

:ROTFL::ROTFL:
Peter

As I said (in an other thread) I suffer using that BLUE plate , but it is the most solid solution , as I have modified the plate by two little studs which fit into the ALPA body .

And if you guys don't stop to "muck" me :poke: with that blue plate , I will through the STC away and keep the blue plate .

narikin

I too have an STC, and am awaiting the new release. I hear they had a supplier let them down, and its a good time away yet.

Yes it looks a bit ugly and homemade which is not typical for Alpa.

It is badly needed though, as you have little choice with a Phase back in the field. Zero Latency drains a battery in 30-40 minutes.

PeterA

Peter

As I said (in an other thread) I suffer using that BLUE plate , but it is the most solid solution , as I have modified the plate by two little studs which fit into the ALPA body .

And if you guys don't stop to "muck" me :poke: with that blue plate , I will through the STC away and keep the blue plate .
oh I missed the other thread - my apologies!:)

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I too have an STC, and am awaiting the new release. I hear they had a supplier let them down, and its a good time away yet.

Yes it looks a bit ugly and homemade which is not typical for Alpa.

It is badly needed though, as you have little choice with a Phase back in the field. Zero Latency drains a battery in 30-40 minutes.
The WAKE-UP cable release devices are available .
What you need is the "release device" + a sync cable .
There are two cables for HASSELBLAD (20 and 30 cm) and also two
cables of 20 and 30 cm length as well for the PHASE backs .
I think it does not look ugly . Compare it to the K-Group solution .

oh I missed the other thread - my apologies!:)
I just received a black ARCA plate , but will have to modify it as well .
Why do I modify all these little thingies ? ? ?
I am an absolute safety freak after I once dropped a lens .:eek:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Modifying things is part of the fun - thats why!
View attachment 40763

I think I have finally found the ideal QR plate for my STC . It surely can also be used with many other cameras which you want to use with the CUBE or D4 or any fliplock , which can handle an ARCA plate .

The plate is 38x38x10 mm and weighs 37 gramms including the screw .
The square design allows a two way mount to your tripod head .
And the plate is black ! ! ! :ROTFL:

Originally the plate has a thin rubber platelet on top of it , but I have removed that for my modification purpose .
The ARCA partnumber is 802208 A .

I will still have to do my modification . But that is part of the fun , as Peter says . Dead right .:thumbs:

Anders_HK

Markins has good ones; http://www.markins.com/2.0/eng/plates.html and is a very high quality brand, made in South Korea and very low weight as well. Their ballheads are known to be among very best and lower weight than competition... :angel:

KangRinpoche quick plates made in China is cheaper and seem to work fine albeit not same tolerances (who needs it for quick plate? :OT:).

Above of course match Arca mount...

Regards
Anders