The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wooden tripods

thomas

I suspect that the Ries falls into the same camp. It is indisputably superior in engineering and componentry but I doubt it will do a better job in the field.
probably true. The design of the Berlebachs is very basic and simple. But that doesn't affect the performance.
Too, the leg locking mechanism with screws of the Ries adds to the weight. The Berlebachs use a simple rotating wheel so that you can lock the legs at regular angle, a wider angle (to bring the camera to a lower position) or to unlock the legs completely if desired.

PeterA

I agree that the differences in use are unlikely to justify the cost - so i wouldn't sweat it - to be honest a heavier legged Gitzo with no center column is my main workhorse in the field - on a beach - somehow wooden legs don't have much appeal for me.

Jeffg53

Agreed Peter, the Gitzo 1325 with the Cube on the top plate will be going to the beach. The only water the Berlebach will see is snow and some rain.

Look forward to hearing what you think of the wooden tripod Jeff, yeah wouldn't last long on the beach I think, but there would probably be a nice feeling using a wooden tripod.

jlm

Workshop Member
just got my Reis, what a beautiful object!
looks just like that in post #4, but bronze knobs and warmer wood

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Nice John - which one did you get? I have been eying them for about a year now but I don't want to carry the extra weight when I am walking around the city shooting.