The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

AFD eating batteries.. whilst asleep..!

dogstarnyc

My AFD body is a back up body so seldom gets use. It is clean and as new in all respects.

I used it 2 weeks ago and put 6 new batteries in it. It has been turned off and not moved in a photo case rather than a bag and today I went to use it and the batteries are almost flat, to flat to use.

I use it with a P25 and that is also off.

Any suggestions before I speak to a Mamiya technician...?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well first question he will ask are you sure it was completely off. I have done this myself is not fully engaged the off position.

There is also a Custom Function to set which type of batteries Alkaline or Ni-Cads. I think it is function 7 so need to check that and set to proper type.

Some folks pull battery holders out as well

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The AFD 1 and 2 bodies were especially prone to eating the AA's even when the camera was off if a DB was attached. If you remove the DB or remove the AA pack, then body battery life at rest goes way up. THe AFD3 body was a little better, but not great. It does appear the issue has been now resolved with the DF body, as it offers excellent battery life.

kdphotography

Steve,

Another thing to try are the Energizer Lithium AA batteries rather than normal AA energizer or duracells. The Lithiums are a bit more expensive, but last much much longer in the AFD body---and they are much lighter to boot. I still haven't gotten around to using the rechargeable option on the DF----I like the Energizer Lithium AAs that much.

ken

Ebe

Another vote for the Energizer Lithium AA batteries.
I also remove the AA battery pack when not using
the camera.

Dale Allyn

As Jack mentions and others, I always pull the battery holder now, even in the field (AFD II). It makes a huge difference.

dogstarnyc

Thanks fella's for all your advice... My AFD II (now comfortably in the hands of Dave Jones) never had a problem, so it was certainly an eye opener.

i'll use the lithium's and unclip the holder when down... a sound plan.

Enjoy the long weekend.

Steve