The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S2 Chromatic Aberration - how big an issue is it?

markowich

S
C) Any current high-end digital "system" should be using BOTH optimal lens design AND digital corrections for their proprietary lenses that need it -- moreover, and any company doing so should be applauded.
so true. but hasselblad was derided for their digital lens corrections, particularly by leica+fanboys. very shortsighted. after having paid a lot of money i now find myself doing local color corrections in CS on my leica S files. great they saved money on software but who will pay me for my time?????
peter

markowich

Peter the very last image I see is F4.8 with it still there. So would it be safe to assume at 5.6 this is clearing out. Now I would say extreme case here but not out of the realm of reality as I see plenty of detail in the window frame and fairly normal of a whole scene of the room itself without extra lighting of course to balance it all out.
yes f5.6 with the S 35mm lens is fine, just like the HCD 28mm at f4 with phocus.
great, isn't it?
peter

tjv

Those examples are pretty pronounced, aren't they Peter.

For me, as a Lightroom user through and through, CA is something I've just lived with. It's a real pain in the butt but I've put up with it because I like the Lightroom workflow and interface. I'm sure if I spent the same kind of money as you have on an S2 I'd be paying WAY more attention to CA and artifacts than I do with my lowly D700 files.

I also use Lightroom to convert and edit DNG MF scans I make in Vuescan using a Nikon 9000. I suppose one of the big reasons I haven't already bought into a digital MF system is that I've never, ever, seen these kind of artifacts in film images I've made with any of my Mamiya 7 or Leica M gear. CA, purple fringing, what ever it may be, is one big thing that puts me off when comparing output differences between film and digital.

In this regard, I feel your pain. For some reason, I have a feeling that Leica is working with Adobe to improve the current situation. Call it intuition or reading between the lines of a few official interviews I've come across. Maybe their solution won't be as elegant as the competition, but I can't see them letting bad press continue. It's a young system and I'm sure the software side of things will improve.

I hear there have been three S2s sold in the last two months in New Zealand. This might not sound like much, but considering our wages are very low compared to the UK and US (here an S2 and 70mm lens costs approx $45K NZD, $10K over the average yearly wage,) our photo industry is tiny compared to Australia, and our population is barely over four million, it goes to show people are buying. This can only suggest a bright future.

Good luck with your new S2. I truly hope you have a better experience with this unit than your last. I look forward to hearing you talk about it candidly as you get to know it.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
10+ years ago you could download Panorama Tools for free and do a superb job of correcting all manner of lens issues (regular distortion, gullwing distortion, lateral color, etc.). I started doing this in ~1999, and it was a well-established procedure even then.

Have there really been substantial improvements in software correction over Panorama Tools of the mid-1990's? (which is still available as far as I know, and is still free).
I can't speak for Phocus but for C1 each lens made for Phase is in there list of lenses that are supported even Contax Zeiss lenses plus Hassy lenses for there H system. You can just select the lens and it does the corrections automatically. Phase lenses just come up in the dialogue. Than you have many added benefits that Pano tools does not have . CA, Purple Fringing, Distortion, Sharpness falloff, Light falloff and also LCC corrections for tech camera's and most of these tools you have sliders to get exactly your desired effect. Now what Hassy and Phase do on the back end here in doing these corrections for each lens is beyond my scope but I know for a fact Phase puts a lot of effort in each of these lenses in building there profiles for them. I just know this is very easy to work with and stays in the raw processing side of the house which I prefer than a separate program. For some shoots I may not even go in this section but for others I can take one image make the corrections for it than copy and paste those corrections to all or whatever raw file I want to process. This makes for a very fast workflow and stays within the same program. Pano tools although very good would be better for cams that do not have this dedication built into the raw processing software.
Screen grab here for you to see.

Guy Mancuso

I forgot that on CA it can analyze the image and make those corrections needed. I just did it on a Canon file and worked a charm.

thomas

pic #1: Schneider 47XL (edge) at f5.6 with CA
pic #2: Schneider 47XL (edge) at f5.6 with CA filtered
pic #3: Contax 80mm at f2.0 with purple fringing
pic #4: Contax 80mm at f2.0 with purple fringing filtered

each corrected with 1 mouse click in a second (the CA for the 47XL with automated analyse by C1... I could also safe this as a preset if I'd like to).

those software corrections are a REAL time safer!
and basically they work very, very well...

btw: I've never seen such heavy purple fringing as shown in Peter's samples with any of my lenses... especially not with the Contax 35mm. Only occasinally some slight color edges that can be fixed in C1 without any trouble (i.e. trade off).

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
btw: I've never seen such heavy purple fringing as shown in Peter's samples with any of my lenses...
It's why Guy and I were convinced it has to be a software conversion issue for the S2 in our tests --- it was just so much worse than anything else we normally see in MF capture, even with old lenses designed for film long before digital.

Guy Mancuso

Agree Jack.

Geez this thread made me go back and look at a couple images . These raws are still up for folks to download. This is a grab shot at 2.8 with the 70mm and it is there for sure. I even did this in ACR and hit the recovery up to 43 percent trying to knock it down.

thomas

It's why Guy and I were convinced it has to be a software conversion issue for the S2 in our tests --- it was just so much worse than anything else we normally see in MF capture, even with old lenses designed for film long before digital.
sounds plausible.
Or maybe a firmware issue...?
I'm quite sure that you could not fix such heavy purple fringing in C1... it's simply too bold for the algorithms C1 works with (IMO).
If C1 could handle this it would destroy other important color information as well... (just a guess...).

I have been accused as being an optimist on more than one occasion. So, I will share an optimist's point of view.

At a mere 6 months young, the S2 system is is coming along nicely with 3 lenses currently available and another soon to be available. The S2 has been performing excellent and has not had any generic problems or issues. Think about it. It is remarkable for a brand new camera designed and built from scratch (e. g., no legacy) to not have some sort of teething problems. The only complaints you see about the S2 are software related - no dedicated raw processor and slow tethering.

Contrary to popular opinion here, I think Leica's choice to provide Lightroom as their raw processor was brilliant. It has put them several years ahead of where they would be if they developed their own software. Let's face it, Capture One, Phocus, etc. didn't become as good as they are in just six months from first release. As it is today, Lightroom is excellent software which is only missing "special sauce" for the S2 (to quote Guy). I am confident Leica is working with Adobe to optimize LR for the S2 and I predict they will end up way ahead of the curve (time-wise) as compared to how long it has taken other manufactures to get to where they are now.

Although, fringing/CA has been identified as an issue in certain lighting conditions, exposures, and apertures it can be dealt with or avoided until the software side improves. The reality is that fringing/CA is not an issue for the majority of photographs. At least that is what I discovered after reviewing a couple thousand of my S2 photos. Maybe it has been dumb luck on my part or maybe it has more to do with what and how I photograph.

The best new of of all is that this thread has shown grown out of the typical S2 bashing and has become a reasonable discussion of an issue and how to deal with it. I bought an M8 the first week it was available and that was a camera with real issues at release. The online community pulled together and looked for ways to work around the issues. After some growing pains, the M8 ended up being a fantastic tool. It has taken 6 months, but I am finally starting to see that same community spirit for the S2. How is that for optimism?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Or maybe a firmware issue...?
Of course. Or a really poor sensor design, or a really poor lens design. At the end of the day, it could be any of these, but for Leica's sake, we hope it's just a conversion software issue -- and IMO that is the likeliest issue. (Phase files can have excessive fringing too if you convert them in LR...)

thomas

Of course. Or a really poor sensor design, or a really poor lens design. At the end of the day, it could be any of these, but for Leica's sake, we hope it's just a conversion software issue -- and IMO that is the likeliest issue. (Phase files can have excessive fringing too if you convert them in LR...)
basically I've no real idea about the underlying techinque. However whenever I've seen such heavy color artifacts (for instance in Marc's samples there are also blue and green artifacts, not only pruple fringing) it was always from a camera with microlenses (probably without accurate "calibration"). So I guess it might be related to the firmware rather than the post processing RAW software. But I might be wrong, of course.
Be that as it may... obviously the firm-/software side of the whole thing seems to be quite poor developped. Obviously...

thomas

The only complaints you see about the S2 are software related - no dedicated raw processor and slow tethering.
I am still curious about corner sharpness at WIDE distances stopped down. I am very impressed by the S2 lenses performance wide open... but not stopped down.
Of course this only goes for the images I've seen online... so I might have a wrong impression...

Contrary to popular opinion here, I think Leica's choice to provide Lightroom as their raw processor was brilliant. (...)
Let's face it, Capture One, Phocus, etc. didn't become as good as they are in just six months from first release.
True. C1 V5 has gone a long, long way. However 3.7.9 was a gold standard... then. But to be honest... it was also a long way to 3.7.9.
The question remains if LR with its underlying design will ever come close to C1 ...

NotXorc

So, just to eliminate one variable, has anyone tested whether CA varies depending on the camera's color space? I understand the S2 has at least one large-gamut color space; IIRC, Adobe LR uses ProPhotoRGB as it's default.

Many will say (and for good reason) that they just shoot in the largest capture space available and then convert to smaller ones as needed – that workflow is logical.

tjv

I honestly think it could be the microlenses on sensor combined with firmware. There's a reason Hasselblad has taken so long to release the H4D-60 - optimizing sensor performance in firmware / software. It's no small task, obviously!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
in my review of the S2 I included a high-contrast shot which showed no CA. Used 70mm lens.

David
Welcome to the GetDPI! Perhaps you could post that image here with a list of your raw settings and a 100% view of the backlit subject?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Need to stop in now with some facts WRT Raw converter and SW and Leica and Phase.

There were already discussions on top management level WRT C1 for Leica S2 some 3 years ago (this is the time I know for sure) but Leica was always offering C1 as the SW for their cameras - also M8 and DMR - remember? So it had made really sense, that they continue with C1 also for the S2.

Not sure what happened in these discussions on Mgmt level, but there were even thoughts that Leica would develop some lenses for Phase - maybe this was before Phase decided to go the Schneider path. Anyway, they seem not to have reached any conclusion about future cooperation and so they stopped. I think it was more Leica, who saw the Phase system more a competition to their S2. Remember, these were the times when Phase just started to have their own Phase camera by rebranding the Mamiya box.

End of the day we see now that this was the worse decision for the S System. We had endless discussions in other fora about that and Leica fanboys tended to have tons of arguments about how great Leica lenses are and there needs not to be any correction for that. This was even Leicas marketing pitch a year ago I remember from direct conversations.

Now we see the result :rolleyes:

Best for Leica to go back to Phase and get up a new cooperation with them. There is no real competition there in my eyes as the 2 systems are so different anyway - at least for me.

Jeffg53

There was a thread over at TOP recently where I stated that the S2 was fatally flawed because it had no dedicated software a la Phocus and C1. A Zalman Stern of Adobe gave a fascinating rebuttal which ended with:

"Leica has chosen to store images from their M, S, and X series cameras in a publicly documented, widely supported file format. This is truly in the best interest of photographers and a great feature of the products."

I wonder if this is the official line.

Here is the link to the thread: http://theonlinephotographer.typepa...=Feed:+typepad/ZSjz+(The+Online+Photographer)

Mike M

Need to stop in now with some facts WRT Raw converter and SW and Leica and Phase.

There were already discussions on top management level WRT C1 for Leica S2 some 3 years ago (this is the time I know for sure) but Leica was always offering C1 as the SW for their cameras - also M8 and DMR - remember? So it had made really sense, that they continue with C1 also for the S2.

Not sure what happened in these discussions on Mgmt level, but there were even thoughts that Leica would develop some lenses for Phase - maybe this was before Phase decided to go the Schneider path. Anyway, they seem not to have reached any conclusion about future cooperation and so they stopped. I think it was more Leica, who saw the Phase system more a competition to their S2. Remember, these were the times when Phase just started to have their own Phase camera by rebranding the Mamiya box.

End of the day we see now that this was the worse decision for the S System. We had endless discussions in other fora about that and Leica fanboys tended to have tons of arguments about how great Leica lenses are and there needs not to be any correction for that. This was even Leicas marketing pitch a year ago I remember from direct conversations.

Now we see the result :rolleyes:

Best for Leica to go back to Phase and get up a new cooperation with them. There is no real competition there in my eyes as the 2 systems are so different anyway - at least for me.
Thanks for some of the history between Leica and Phase in the past. I wasn't aware about those things...

OT - I just got an email from Phase:

Phase One is offering its flagship DF camera and P 65+ digital back
with an 80mm Schneider Leaf Shutter + two lenses of your choice for
USD 39,990

You SAVE up to USD 8,000!

The offer ends on August 15th so don't wait too long...

The Schneider lenses are so good they're giving them away for free ;)

I'm just kidding around because I love Schneider lenses...However, I do feel that a lot of this conversation in regards to DMF systems is a bit like the legend of how the the Byzantine theologians were arguing about "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" as Constantinople was being breached by muslim invaders. I'm not a historian and don't know the accuracy of that story, but I think the comparison is relevant because today we're pixel peeping 40-60 megapixel super cameras at the same time that the commercial photography industry is essentially collapsing.

Last edited: