The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

lenses for alpa TC

waynelake

Wayne google Alpa Cameras and you get this link

http://www.alpa.ch/index.php

Now ..enjoy ! Warning it is addictive gear if you are into this kind of minimalist set-up..

btw - Victor is allowed to joke around - cos he cops plenty himself..:thumbs:

I am getting ready for the MAX version to be released for sale in June..to add to my 12WA body.

All you need is one lens really and that would be a toss up between the Rodenstock 28 or the Schneider 35 - both digi specked lenses. I went Schneider 35 because I also have the Schneider 24.

You can shoot these babies hand held at insanely low shutter speeds. With a digi back on board..it really doesn't get better than this.

Check it out.

Cheers
Pete
Heres the 1.7mb Pdf link for more info. http://www.alpa.ch/files/products/135/ALPA_12TC_200704.pdf

Can not wait to get stuck down the bottom of a river valley ravine in Haast with one of these and get educated:ROTFL:

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Graham,
im confused; processed looks sharper. was that taken at say, 5.6?

the images are different, unles Helicalfocus somehow has some spare PEOPLE in the software!

did you reverse lables??

Victor
I'm quite happy with the current version of Helicon Focus (3.79), which I use frequently. It's a sufficiently important tool to me that I wish Hasselblad would incorporate focus bracketing in the next release of their firmware. Here is an example (H3d-39, CZ 40mm IF, f8 1/30 ISO 100, processed in Phocus) that is a composite of 5 images:

Full image:

View attachment 4364

Near crop:

View attachment 4365

Mid-distance crop:

View attachment 4366

Far crop:

View attachment 4368

Crop of unprocessed image, infinity focus:

View attachment 4369

Guy might well comment that the unprocessed crop has more bite than the processed crop (true), but in print the processed images feels that you could step into it.

Regards,

PeterA

Thanks for posting yoru examples Woody - impressed enough to check this Helicon software out.

BJNY

I'm quite happy with the current version of Helicon Focus (3.79), which I use frequently. It's a sufficiently important tool to me that I wish Hasselblad would incorporate focus bracketing in the next release of their firmware.
Thierry,

I asked before, but don't recall getting an answer to:
How does focus bracketing work on a Hy6?

Thanks,
Billy

T

thsinar

oh sorry, Billy, and I don't recall having been asked!

Well, the focus bracketing does work quite simply: it takes 3 (or 5) different images, automatically, and makes sure that the focus is shifted between each time, so that the DOF does overlap from one image to the next.

To be honest, and before having to answer another question about it :))), I have not yet used it and don't know which kind of influence one has on it (other than the working aperture).

Best regards,
Thierry

Thierry,

I asked before, but don't recall getting an answer to:
How does focus bracketing work on a Hy6?

Thanks,
Billy

D

DougDolde

Woody, do you process the raw files before or after running thru Helicon Focus?

mark1958

I actually downloaded Heliconfocus end of the week and have been playing with it. This is a re-sized (full framed) macro shot taken from about 7 images f11 with a macro lens H3DII-31. While not perfect, it gives you an idea. I focus on the front of the flower and slowly back, 7 times and then merge together with the software. I convert all the images in Phocus first to 16-bit tiff images.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Woody, do you process the raw files before or after running thru Helicon Focus?
Process to 16 bit tiffs with common settings in Phocus, and then run Helicon on the tiffs. If you input 16 bit tiffs with the prophoto rgb profile it will write 16 bit tiffs with the same profile. Then open the file in PS and edit as usual. After I get a result I like I delete the intermediate tiffs.

I've done a bit of further work with Helicon (actually the better part of a day of running alternatives) on the image posted above. With this big, deep mf file it looks like "Method B" with the key setting, radius, set at 3, works best.

Graham Mitchell

Re-reading the original post, I can't help thinking that this is exactly what Live View is good for. I played with live view on a view cam recently and you can:

- see the whole image (no need for viewfinders or guessing)
- pick any part of the image to view at 100%, and then see the changes in focus as you adjust the camera and shoot once you have perfect focus exactly where you want it

Sure, the laptop is an extra piece of gear to carry around but it does replace the viewfinder, laser distance meter, gives you huge storage capacity, and allows you to review your shots properly before moving on.

I strongly recommend trying it out. I don't think I could go back :)

Ben Rubinstein

Does anyone have any examples from Helicon not shot on a 39 megapixel back? (DSLR if possible), I just can't see how good the program is when you have 39 megapixels to play with, hell, anything would look good with that!