The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Playing around with the Hy6

David K

Workshop Member
Still learning this new kit folks so don't expect the best that this back has to offer yet. Anyway, went down to the train bridge this evening to see if I catch a good sunset but no dice. So I shot the bridge instead. This first shot was underexposed by about two stops. So I bumped exposure up by two stops in Aperture to see the level of detail that was available. The third shot is a crop of the second to show the detail. My early impression is that this back generates excellent files that can be pushed hard in processing. A valuable feature for me :)

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
David,

Very nice early shots. I almost jumped at your Leaf back since I own a Contax and live just up I75 from you, but really want a new 645 camera. I also want to put whichever back on an Alpa as well. :bugeyes: I have been waiting to see and hear your impressions of the HY6 system. :thumbup: How does it handle, ergonomics, etc. Look forward to following your posts. Many thanks.

Jim

David K

Workshop Member
Jim,
Didn't realize we were neighbors... when I get back from the workshop maybe we could meet up and you can handle the Hy6 for yourself. I like the camera a lot. I never shot with a camera with a handle before but now that I have I appreciate the ergonomics of this design. Compared to the Hy6 holding the Contax is a bit like holding a brick. I have both the WLF and prism finder with the Contax and almost always used the latter when shooting handheld. Using a WLF handheld takes some practice. I have to straighten the horizon on almost every shot I take handheld. Learning the menus also takes a bit of time. I got myself in a bit of a jam by making a wrong selection relating to automatic exposure and couldn't figure out what was "wrong" with the camera. Turns out nothing was wrong other than my lack of familiarity with it. In other words, typical learning curve stuff. A huge plus (to me) for this system is that you don't have to use dedicated software to work the files... simply convert them to DNG and work in your program of choice. I was never a fan of Leaf Capture 11, Flexcolor confused the heck out of me and I still can't figure my way around Sinar's eXposure. I much prefer working in either LR or Aperture to make my initial adjustments and then finish them off in CS3. As far as the Aptus 75S goes... you should have bought it :) It's an awesome back and the files are great. I suspect the Hy6 has the edge in higher ISO shooting based on the files Thierry posted but have yet to test this for myself. I've just ordered the Contax and Hasselblad adapters so I can use my other camera platforms (and glass) which is the main reason I decided to make the switch.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Nice DR there David -- got to LOVE that, especially combined with the detail!

gogopix

Subscriber
How's the handling. Files are great, but.....

for travel? can you see someone whipping this out in a european piazza? or in the Tuscan hills?

David K

Workshop Member
How's the handling. Files are great, but.....

for travel? can you see someone whipping this out in a european piazza? or in the Tuscan hills?
Victor,
Guess it depends on your shooting style. Based on some of the photos you've posted I can see you doing this with no problem. For me, I'm more likely to use the M8. The lenses at the wide end and normal are pretty small, i.e. 40mm, 50mm, 80mm. The 110 2.0 is a bit of a beast and probably twice the size of the Hassy version.

LJL

David,
Really like these first out of the box shots you have. Lots of detail and DR is preserved, and the files do look capable of pushing around quite a bit. (This is what I noticed in Thierry's file.....very nice.)

Did you convert these to DNG using the Brumbaer utility, or just take them right into Aperture after eXposure? (Pardon my not understanding the full workflow from camera to usable file.) I think Aperture does a very nice job on the conversion also, compared to ACR/PS, from what little I played with Thierry's file. With the new Dodge and Burn tool in Aperture, I think you could have kept that nice darker sky and still brought up the rest of the track/bridge and shoreline details easily. Not a criticism, just a thought, and how some of the other software tools, like Aperture, are making working on these sorts of files an incredible option.

This looks very good.

LJ

gogopix

Subscriber
Ok, David
the perennial question

ISO 800
pushed 2-3 stops, 100% crops
we expect within the hour,
raw,
DNG
Tiff
and jpgs for kodak 11x16 printing

give you another half hour for that

So, David, how do like being and early adopter?!!:ROTFL:

best regards
Victor

PS not kidding, but hey, take all day if you need it!:D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Victor, you KNOW you're going to end with one of these anyway, so why not just go for it now and save yourself the grief of anticipatory pre-purchase research?

:ROTFL:,

gogopix

Subscriber
WHAT? and miss all the fun :):):D

However, let's see; Thierry is in Thailand, Lance is in SJ with the team...

Hmmmmm

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Why not join us in SJ and see for yourself? And let's face it, this is THE "Mercedes" of the camera world!

:D :D :D,

LJL

Victor, you KNOW you're going to end with one of these anyway, so why not just go for it now and save yourself the grief of anticipatory pre-purchase research?

:ROTFL:,
Jack,
I have been "sensing" the exact same conclusion the past week or so :ROTFL:

Honestly, I have been on and off the fence myself with respect to the Hy6 or the H3DII. Putting aside some of the other discussion, being hard to do with Marc's images, and reasoning for his choices, this Hy6 is looking to be a very sexy piece of kit that can crank out some great looking files for sure.

Based on the rather thorough and varied discussions we have had on this forum lately, I think 90+% of that "research" has been done for a lot of folks, and from this point, it becomes a matter of use and finances :shocked:

LJ

David K

Workshop Member
Ok, David
the perennial question

ISO 800
pushed 2-3 stops, 100% crops
we expect within the hour,
raw,
DNG
Tiff
and jpgs for kodak 11x16 printing

give you another half hour for that

So, David, how do like being and early adopter?!!:ROTFL:

best regards
Victor

PS not kidding, but hey, take all day if you need it!:D
Victor,
I was hoping to leave the early adopter status for Guy. Fortunately, Thierry is available for after hours consultations and has been quite helpful. The good news is I no longer have any hair to pull out :) Doubt I will have time for your tests before leaving for San Juan but maybe while there Jack, Guy and I can work some up. Jack has the best idea... join us in Puerto Rico and shoot with it yourself. We'll have a blast.

David K

Workshop Member
David,
Really like these first out of the box shots you have. Lots of detail and DR is preserved, and the files do look capable of pushing around quite a bit. (This is what I noticed in Thierry's file.....very nice.)

Did you convert these to DNG using the Brumbaer utility, or just take them right into Aperture after eXposure? (Pardon my not understanding the full workflow from camera to usable file.) I think Aperture does a very nice job on the conversion also, compared to ACR/PS, from what little I played with Thierry's file. With the new Dodge and Burn tool in Aperture, I think you could have kept that nice darker sky and still brought up the rest of the track/bridge and shoreline details easily. Not a criticism, just a thought, and how some of the other software tools, like Aperture, are making working on these sorts of files an incredible option.

This looks very good.

LJ
My current workflow is to shoot to CF card, put the card in the reader, convert to DNG via Brumbaer to a folder on my hard drive and then import the images into Aperture (leaving them in their current location). This can also be done in eXposure, but Brumbaer is just so simple. As far as processing goes, I skimped on these and didn't do much of anything. I need to learn the camera's metering better so that my initial exposures are better. Still nice to know all is not lost if you don't nail it.

LJL

My current workflow is to shoot to CF card, put the card in the reader, convert to DNG via Brumbaer to a folder on my hard drive and then import the images into Aperture (leaving them in their current location). This can also be done in eXposure, but Brumbaer is just so simple. As far as processing goes, I skimped on these and didn't do much of anything. I need to learn the camera's metering better so that my initial exposures are better. Still nice to know all is not lost if you don't nail it.
Thanks, David. That is what I was thinking, and how I handle things now from my other gear. As for the camera metering.....that does seem to be something to get used to, not only on the Hy6, but others as well. My first reaction to your file, as well as to Thierry's garden shot was that things were leaning toward underexposure by a stop or more. The good news is that the files are robust and can handle pushing in process without losing anything, and not having the shadows block up. That is just my initial impression, and others may be much better to explain/critique. The underexposure may be real and designed to prevent blowing things out, much like Nikon film cameras always were. Not a bad thing in the case of the Sinar files.

Looking forward to any and all that you share on this wonderful beast, including the SJ stuff that you folks may play around with. Please do not spend too much time testing, but rather just enjoy the shooting, and if there are some easy tests for comparisons available, great.

LJ

Steve Hendrix

I wanted to let everyone here know - and this may be better in a separate thread - that I will be in Orlando, Florida June 13 along with Dave McRitchie of SinarBron.

We will have Hy6's and lots and lots of lenses, as well as some other items in Sinar's arsenal, including some Broncolor gear too.

We do not have a location yet, but will come up with one shortly.

This will be a hands-on day for:

*Hy6 Cameras
*eMotion 75LV Digital Back (with the new screen and revolving adapter)
*eMotion 75LV on several other cameras (via adapters)
*45 degree finder
*90 degree finder
*Waist level finder
*Sinar Exposure V6.0 Software
*AFD lenses - 50mm, 80mm, and 180mm
*Non-AFD lenses, including:
-40mm f/3.5 Super Angulon HFT PQ
-40mm f/4.5 Zeiss Distagon HFT PQ
-50mm f/4.0 Zeiss Distagon HFT PQ
-55mm f/4.5 PCS
-60mm f/3.5 Zeiss Distagon HFT PQ
-80mm f/2.8 Zeiss Planar HFT PQ
-120mm f/4.0 Makro-Planar PQ
-120mm f/4.0 Makro-Planar PQS
-150mm f/4.0 Sonnar PQ
-180mm f/2.8 Tele-Xenar
-250mm f/5.6 PQ
-300mm f/4 HFT APO-Tele-Xenar
-350mm f/5.6 Tele-Tessar PQ

Looking forward to the 13th!

Steve Hendrix
www.pratlanta.com/digital.php

gogopix

Subscriber
what's with FLORIDA?
isnt it getting HOT there?:toocool:

I would love to go to SJ however, daughter's graduation and Wales trip are crimping ANY extra travel till july) (and 6/13 is my wife's birthday. I know, I know, I should get her the Hy6/75LV for her Bday! :ROTFL:

anyway, I do hope to see in Philly with the H3D

WHy again am I doing this???:confused:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
No excuses i am missing my wife's 50th BD on May 16. I am having the group sing to her at dinner. LOL

David K

Workshop Member
Steve,
About time you got around to our state. We don't seem to be getting much respect down here since we decided the "hanging chad" election. I'll plan on coming up to see you and trying out some of your goodies.

Victor,
It's in your genes.. you can't help yourself :)

David