The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Equal Time - Leaf Aptus 75S

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Wow, one day it is the ZD, the next day is a PhaseOne P21 or P30+, the next a Hasselcon something or another, and in the next breath it is the latest upgraded Sinar product. Meanwhile, where is the voice for the number two selling MF digital solution in the world? The Leaf. So I decided to go ahead and post some shots I took just last night, at my fiancée debut in Santa Fe at the Santa Fe Brewery. Me photographer, she the talent in the family. :lecture:

I've heard several people, even other working pro's, say "You can't shoot fast action, low light or nighttime with a MF back." Bullpucky. I can shoot ANYTHING with a MF digital back. Is it my first choice for this type of work? You bet your bippy it is! There is simply put, nothing technological made today for photography that can top a well crafted, well designed medium format digital camera system. And I don't care which circumstances you care to set for test purposes. Give me any of the top three or four backs made today, and I will go against whatever you care to bring forward as a contest, and honestly mean that I can get at least as creative a vision image as anyone can. Give me light, or give me dark and let me create my own, and nothing is going to beat MF digital.

So these shots I hope will put to rest once and for all the notion that you "Can't Do" whatever it is your own inner "critical voice" tells you can't be done. These images were all shot at ISO 200 or ISO 800, depending upon what the particular effect was I wanted to use. This is the Leaf Aptus 75S at doing what I feel it is uniquely qualified to do. It is mounted on my own personal favorite body, a Contax 645. These images were all shot using the Contax - Zeiss 80mm f2 lens. A lens that sells today for a couple hundred bucks. And frankly, in my opinion is one of the finest medium format lenses ever made. This lens, and my Hassy 110/f2 FE are pure sex to me with the look they both give... And before anybody asks, yes, I KNOW some of these are blurry or out of focus. :toocool: Sharpness is often WAY over rated, in my opinion. It's all about freezing a very short moment in time. Just think for a moment about how dang SHORT 1/250th of a second really is! Too darn fast for this West Virginia boy to comprehend. So I try to "slow it down" in my personal work. To capture the flow of the scene in front of my lens. The magic of the moment in all it's colorful movement and glory. For me, it's not about what you may choose to use for a tool to do it. Take your choice, the choice that works well for you, and you can afford. It's really all about learning to "see" using a mechanical eye... and the artist's perspective.

David K

Workshop Member
Great stuff Chuck... good to see you posting some of your work. Really like the square crop on these, gives them a CD cover look. Doug now has the sister to your back and is getting some mighty fine shots of his own. Nice composition in that shot Doug and the colors are beautiful. I'd print that one and hang it on my wall.

PeterA

Lovely shots Chuck !!( nice 5 string bass too) - and I totally agree with you - photography for me is about the emotional response an image delivers. <--- see the full stop? :)

The MF forum is under represented regarding a lot of backs - but thats the fault of the guys who shoot Leaf/Phase especially. take Marc out of the equation and you can say the same about Hasselblad..

btw - all the shots are sharp as needed - except the last - the contrast between the movement of the performer and the still microphone is lovely...

Doug - over sharpened ?? - but nice and brilliant light..

Pete

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I agree Peter we need to hear more about Phase , hopefully I can help here. Certainly more about Leaf also. The Hassy and Sinar have been talked about a lot and that is awesome but if we can round this out more , it helps newbies (me) to the Mf digital world out a lot. I still have a load of questions on the Phase backs. I would love to see some more images. Images tell me what i need to know and how things feel to me.

Guy Mancuso

Actually what i would love to see from Jim Collum and Chuck Jones is some of there Aptus images . There both awesome shooters and close friends of mine but there work really shows what the Aptus backs can do. That was sort of a challenge. ROTFLMAO

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Doug my friend, you always did have a great eye for the quality. Great Image!

I forgot to mention that the shots above were done in light that I could not have shot a decent frame using my Leica M8, even with my 50 'Lux. My M8 just needs more light...

To be real fair, I should post a couple also done in "reasonable" light but still stage lighting in both of these live performances. These were shot with same Contax, same 80mm, but with my Aptus 75, back about two years ago. The "S" version is an improvement over these even. Oh, and these were back in my own days of thinking "sharp-is-good."

LJL

Really nice shots, Chuck. There is a real feeling of being there in these.

For the record, I would not say the Leaf Aptus stuff was being shorted or passed over all that much in the other discussions.....more like we needed more representation from you guys using them, and now we are getting more ;-) This is great stuff.

LJ

Guy Mancuso

Jim we get to play with a Horseman SWD II in San Juan , looking forward to trying it out. Looks like a way to go for the very wide stuff

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
More you want Guy? Tell me when to stop :thumbs:

Very nice images Jim. This format really does suit your work well.

Guy Mancuso

I agree Thierry never stop with images on this site, we love them. It really helps people see what these wonder kits can do and i encourage everyone to show us what these systems can produce. I know i am very excited to get back into medium Format . I loved my 2 1/4 days. Like Leica gear i have avoided MF digital a little too long. The files are just killer.