The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

18mm Equivalent Angle of View

jvora

Hello !

Quick Question -

Which digital back along with which lens ( focal length ) from any manufacturer will provide a minimum of an 18mm angle of view from the 35mm format ?

I include the digital back as each model has different dimension which results in a different angle of view for a particular focal length of a lens.

Hope my question is clear.

Await your reply.

Jai

fotografz

They don't exactly translate because the formats are different ratios.

Probably any MFD with a near 645 sensor coupled with a 28mm is as close as you can get.

Like a Phase One P45, or Hasselblad H3D/39 with their widest lenses ... 28mm. The HCD28/4 provides a 95 degree Angle of view. The Mamiya 28/4.5D is 102 degrees when used with a film back, and 94 degrees with a 1.1X crop frame digital back. Both are less angle-of-view when used with a 1.3X digital back (like a Hassey H4D/40 or Phase One P40+).

The Leaf Aptus-10 panoramic crop ratio, or the Phase One P65+ full frame 645, would provide a bit wider field-of-view with a Mamiya 28mm, but we're talking big money because these backs are pretty new.

The tech wizards here will pipe up and correct me if I'm off-base anywhere ... or explain it in more detail ... a LOT more detail :ROTFL:

-Marc

thomas

a tech camera with a Rodenstock 23HR.
Or with a little longer lens (e.g. the upcoming Super Digitar 28mm) and flat stiching based on movements to increase the film format / capture area ...

H3dtogo

...or even better, the hartbleicam with a 24mm TSE from canon. Extremely sharp, 10mm shift possible, tilt possible, great GG, easy in use, multifunctual, lots of other lenses available that also can be used on Nikon or Canon cameras.

jvora

Good replies -

Would prefer to stay away from tilt/shifts as I want to capture the entire view in one shot -

Yes ! I hear you on the different aspect ratios and thus the formats do not translate equally - But I am more interested in gaining the horizontal filed of view of the 18mm 35mm format equivalent in MF ( lens and back combinations ).

The P65 and the likes are expensive - No go for the moment :(

I began to think about this as Mamiya has just lowered their DF Camera System to US$ 10,000 ( Leaf 22 MP back ) and that got me all excited for a brief time.

Alas, It most probably will be the Nikon D3x that will fulfill the requirements - Only if Nikon had a GOOD 18mm prime !

Thanks All !

Jai

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hello !Which digital back along with which lens ( focal length ) from any manufacturer will provide a minimum of an 18mm angle of view from the 35mm format ?

I include the digital back as each model has different dimension which results in a different angle of view for a particular focal length of a lens.
From my calculations a P65+ is the only system with that field of view using an SLR lens. Hasselblad recently began shipping the H4D-60 but the HC28mm does not fully cover that sensor size and so is slightly cropped which brings it slightly longer than an 18mm equivalent (if my math is off I welcome correction). The relatively minor difference may or may not be significant depending on your needs, but you did ask specifically for 18mm or wider equivalent.

You can use our Focal Length Calculator to do this conversion very easily.

As smartly pointed out above you have to define what you want to be the same: horizontal, vertical, or diagonal. If horizontal is most important to you the Aptus-II 10 is the widest sensor and will yield the widest angle of view in the horizontal direction of any medium format SLR system. The P65+ has the largest overall sensor and will yield the widest angle of view diagonally. The difference between those two sensors and a smaller sensor like a P45+

Leaf and Phase One both max out at 28mm on SLR bodies (Phase One's 28mm does cover the P65+ sensor), but as Thomas mentions a technical camera will yield the widest possible lenses at 23mm (the Hartblei can manage a 14mm TSE lens, but the corners are not great - though hard to complain about the corners on such an unbelievably wide lens).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

H3dtogo

Hi Doug, the corners are not that great on a 17mm but on a 24mm TSEII lens they are as good as a 28mm without shift. You also gain a 4 mm extra plus the ability to shift 10mm, not bad at all. The 17 mm also has the typical canon variety of quality. There are better and worse 17mm lenses on the market, maybe a severe testing before buing the lens is needed. I now used my Hartblei with many lenses and many backs, Leaf being my favorit at the moment. I hope to get a P45+ soon for doing some night shots.
When doing architectural work, better try the Hartbleicam as it delivers great images without the hassle of using a view cam.