The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leaf back and Capture one tethering issues help

So I have capture one pro 5.1.2 and a leaf aptus 17 back. When I connect the back to the macbook it doesn't recognize the back. Am I doing something wrong? I think it is supposed to recognize it right away.

Thank You,
Eric

JimCollum

Is it a Leaf back (from the original Leaf company), or have you sent it in to have it checked and modified by Phase/Leaf? Only Phase/Leaf backs that they've either sold since Leaf was bought, or have been sent in and paid to have them upgraded. Otherwise.. no tether (although you can still tether with Leaf Capture)

(still, in my mind, this isn't quite right.. I know Phase says they can't be responsible for Leaf products bought before Leaf was acquired).. but i don't think they require people to send in their Canon or Nikon cameras for a paid upgrade before they can be tethered to Capture One) I *love* my 75S.. and would never trade it in for anything other than another Leaf back. One of these days, i'll end up with an upgrae to a Aptus 10 or something.. and that problem will be solved.. but as a Leaf customer.. i've always felt that rather then happily helping me as a customer.. it was always a begrudging task on the Company's part. In contrast, I've owned a Betterlight scan back since 2001, and I'd recommend their support over any other companies (of any product)

Last edited:

JimCollum

It does.. if they've been given a firmware upgrade by Phase/Leaf first. Originally, they weren't going to even allow Capture One to read the .MOS files created by a back they didn't upgrade (for a very steep price). We did get that concession by them, so for that i'm thankful.

(Phase/Leaf.. if this is no longer the case, please speak up.. i've tried the same thing with my back and got the same tether problem)

It does.. if they've been given a firmware upgrade by Phase/Leaf first. Originally, they weren't going to even allow Capture One to read the .MOS files created by a back they didn't upgrade (for a very steep price). We did get that concession by them, so for that i'm thankful.

(Phase/Leaf.. if this is no longer the case, please speak up.. i've tried the same thing with my back and got the same tether problem)
Did yours not even try to recognize it? My back was being powered by the firewire cable so I know it was connecting properly, but it did nothing.

Eric

yaya

All,

In Capture One Pro, go to the Capture One menu and select Install Leaf Drivers...4 seconds later the back will connect to the software. You should also make sure that the correct camera type is selected in the preferences.

Enjoy

Yair

yaya

Thanks for the complement Jim,

At the moment Live View is not supported for any Leaf backs in Capture One but the team is working hard to get it implemented ASAP. I will have more info soon regarding the older models

Yair

Tim Ernst

Different back, but same issue here with a P-45+ so I hope someone can help - most current firmware, most current C1 (Mac) - when I plug the back in the cable works to power the back, and the little box comes up in C1 that says "the camera could not be attached" - I'm sure there is a setting I need to click somewhere to make this work if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks...

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Different back, but same issue here with a P-45+ so I hope someone can help - most current firmware, most current C1 (Mac) - when I plug the back in the cable works to power the back, and the little box comes up in C1 that says "the camera could not be attached" - I'm sure there is a setting I need to click somewhere to make this work if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks...
Lack of consistent firewire voltage is a likely culprit.

Read our Ideal Tethered Setup guide and follow each step to the letter. Then assuming it works perfectly you can go back through and start to ignore the steps that might be annoying to your workflow to see if the back still works perfectly - the document is extremely conservative and mostly intended to troubleshoot.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

Tim Ernst

Thanks Doug. Everything seems to be in order, and I've used a variety of cables from 18" to the long one that came with the back - I figure that one should work if any would, and it was fresh out of the case and never been used before. Also tried this on three different computers with the same result. I figure that I'm just missing something somewhere so I'll keep looking...